HR20 issues

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Wesro

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 10, 2008
Eufaula, Alabama
I have a problem I am hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

I get my locals via OTA because DirecTV does not offer locals in my area. I live in between three decent size towns so that means I have a multipath issue with signals coming from all directions. I have tried three or four different antennas and still cannot get my HR20-100 or HR20-700 to keep a good signal. I know it is the tuners in my HR20's because the antenna hooked to my Samsung TV never pixelates and never has a problem.

My brother-in-law has the same setup as me and lives about 100 yards away from me. He has a HR21 and never has a problem. So, I took my HR20's over to his house today and as soon as I hooked them up I was getting pixelation and nothing but problems.

Long story short I do not think the tuners in my HR20's are strong enough to support my setup.

Here is where the question comes in. What am I to do? Is there a number I can call to explain this and get someone who could help. I can't afford $500 for two HR22's and two AM21's. I am still under contract. Anytime I call DirecTV about the problem I get someone who just makes me wanna scream and doesn't help me. I was told I could pay a $50 fee and have the DirecTV techs come out 'but it would not do me any good as they are not trained with ota techniques.' Any replacement they send me will be an HR20 as I am sure they are trying to save money. So, I am stuck with boxes that don't work and no way to swap them.

Thanks for reading.

I assume your brother in law has the AM21, It seems that is has a better OTA tuner than the HR20. Changing the location of your antenna can help. I moved mine 30' and my multipath problems were reduced, although not totally eliminated.

Any replacement they send me will be an HR20 as I am sure they are trying to save money. So, I am stuck with boxes that don't work and no way to swap them.

There is no way of telling tht you would still get an HR20. There are many people that have had issues and had their receivers swapped and received the newer models. I personally do not have a problem with the HR20 and multipath. This has been the best receiver dealing with multipath that I have had so far. Even if they do send you another HR20 it might just solve your issue if it really is a hardware problem.

I guess the only thing I can do is call and see what they will do.

I have the antenna hooked to my Samsung TV and it works great I just can't record of course.

Any replacement they send me will be an HR20 as I am sure they are trying to save money. So, I am stuck with boxes that don't work and no way to swap them.

Thanks for reading.
Be aware, unless you're in a waranty period, any replacement you get WILL extend your contract. And also be aware, Directv may "forget" to mention that slightly significant point. :(

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)