HR20 Multiple Output

Status
Please reply by conversation.

NutFlush920

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
Green Bay, WI
I know this has been discussed but, I can't find it. I also know I am pretty sure this will work but want confirmation from my fellow forum subscribers.

Situation: I have a HR20 that I want to connect to 2 TV's (one HD in the bedroom the other SD in the basement) I have an HDMI connected to my bedroom TV and have RG-6 ran for a second output but, the HR20 doesn't support coax output like SD receivers do. Can I run HDMI for the bedroom TV and run RCA out at the same time to an RF Modulator then connect the RG-6 to that? I will then connect the other end of the RG-6 to the antenna in on the basement TV?

I will then buy a RF remote for the basement to control the bedroom receiver when I am in the basement.

What does everyone think? Good or bad plan? Will it work?

That will work. All outputs are available simultaneously. The aspect ratio will also be the same on all outputs (either 16:9 or 4:3), so you may need to go through a few extra keystrokes when moving between rooms (the settings on your TVs possibly will avoid the need to do this).

I can get the RF Remote from DirecTV's website for $25. With the HR20-100, do I need the RF antenna which is an additional $5 or should I have gotton one with the unit that might be in the box in storage? Will it work good through floors/walls? Anyone with one of these have any advise?

There should have been an antenna in the box. You could also make one (put an F connector on a length of cable and strip back about 6-8 inches of braid and shield). If you are going to purchase another remote you might as well get the antenna at the same time.

NutFlush920,

One of the HR20's has an internal antenna and the other has an external, so you may not find one in the box.

I think the -700 was internal and the -100 was external.

Jimbo

I hope I am presenting this right so here goes
If I modulate a signal of a show that was recorded in HDTV out of the HDTV receiver will it be viewable in an SD form? I currently have two r10 ‘s that I back feed and would like to keep the option of watch shows I record on any TV .I Know I will not get the HDTV picture quality but will it be good to watch?

I think the signal looks fine. I have one of my HR20's hooked up to my 32" LCD via HDMI from the receiver. I then have RCA out of the receiver to a RF modulator, RG6 is connected to the RF modulator and then to a 30" tube HDTV. I don't know if the 30" tube HDTV is actually showing the picture in HD or SD though.

I think once you go through RCA, you lose the HD signal. It might still look okay, but it's not a compatible HD transfer/carriage format.

The SD output of an HD recording will most likely be squished horizontally.

It won't be squished, it will be in widescreen, with bars on the top and bottom if the display is 4:3. It will fill the screen on an hd display. It will be 480i, though, not hd.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)