Status
Please reply by conversation.

ncted

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
Durham, NC
When you are watching a recorded show, and you want to go back to the Playlist, does the recorded show keep playing in the small window?

My D*Tivos do not do this, they take me back to the Playlist, and, if I am near the end of a recording, ask if I want to keep the recording. In contrast, my SA8300HD w/Passport keeps playing the recorded show I was watching. This is kind of annoying coming from Tivo. It isn't that big a deal for me, but my wife hates it (along with the SA8300HD remote). I was just wondering if the HR20 was more Tivo-like in this respect.

Thanks,
Ted

Well, since no one answered that one, here is another question:

I have read about a lot of people having issues with mpeg4 locals on the HR20. Anyone having any mpeg2 issues, SD or HD?

Thanks,
Ted

Issues with HR-20

So far, plenty of issues with locals. Pixelation, sound issues, poor HD quality, you name it. No problems with SD or MPEG2 HD channels. Obviously, D* has a long way to go. I do like the idea of recording HD, though, since I didn't have an H10-250.

I have had no problems that I would consider important with my HR20. I've had audio drop outs but that was quickly fixed with the latest patch. I do get MPEG4 HD LIL issues but they are not specific to the HR20. As for recording, playing, finding, navigating, scheduling, I like this unit. Not perfect, but I think a darn good unit. And I am Tivo nut since 2000. I havent pushed the unit yet since OTA is still disabled and my HD Tivos are doing almost all the local HD load (except ABC which the HR20 does). And there are no MPEG4 issues with the ABC over satellite in Boston market. Very happy so far.

tstarn06 said:
So far, plenty of issues with locals. Pixelation, sound issues, poor HD quality, you name it. No problems with SD or MPEG2 HD channels. Obviously, D* has a long way to go. I do like the idea of recording HD, though, since I didn't have an H10-250.
Where are you located, what cities are having mpeg4 trouble.

Jimbo

Philadelphia. During Good Morning America, for example, lots of broken PQ on the local ABC affiliate, but no problems on the NY channel (WABC in NY). Same feed, same show. Different result. Only difference? MPEG2 vs. MPEG4, I think.

tstarn06 said:
Philadelphia. During Good Morning America, for example, lots of broken PQ on the local ABC affiliate, but no problems on the NY channel (WABC in NY). Same feed, same show. Different result. Only difference? MPEG2 vs. MPEG4, I think.
Have to remember that D* is working out the wrinkles, this stuff is brand new to all of us, D* included.(MPEG4 via TV)

Detroit originally had trouble when it first was turned on and they are no longer having trouble, from people I've spoke with, so it's just a matter of time... as is everything we do anymore.

Jimbo

Brewer4 said:
I have had no problems that I would consider important with my HR20. I've had audio drop outs but that was quickly fixed with the latest patch. I do get MPEG4 HD LIL issues but they are not specific to the HR20. As for recording, playing, finding, navigating, scheduling, I like this unit. Not perfect, but I think a darn good unit. And there are no MPEG4 issues with the ABC over satellite in Boston market. Very happy so far.
My experience has been almost identical, except in another city. No problems so far, and MPEG4 locals non-eventful and solid. The install (including AUTOMATIC software update to the latest firmware version 0XCC which corrected 90% of the reported problems to date) - installers done in little over 30 minutes. This was pretty much a plug and play install - already had the 5LNB dish in place.

Tried on 20 different scheduled shows so far and its worked flawlessly. Assuming things don't change, I'd say the HR20 is a super unit.

As an aside....I noticed the tuner signal strengths (meter) were even higher than my H20 that got relocated (moved elsewhere in another room) - everything in the lower to mid 90's.

Satmeister said:
As an aside....I noticed the tuner signal strengths (meter) were even higher than my H20 that got relocated (moved elsewhere in another room) - everything in the lower to mid 90's.
That would be common, seeing for some reason the H-20 read 10-20 % lower than the rest of the receivers.

My HR-20 is in the mid 90's and I am happy about it, but, when the installer had his birdog on the line setting up the dish, it only read 69-70 tops, so I would think that the 70's on the H20 may have been the same reading that the SS equipment showed...

Jimbo

Jimbos said:
That would be common, seeing for some reason the H-20 read 10-20 % lower than the rest of the receivers.

My HR-20 is in the mid 90's and I am happy about it, but, when the installer had his birdog on the line setting up the dish, it only read 69-70 tops, so I would think that the 70's on the H20 may have been the same reading that the SS equipment showed...

Jimbo
Actually my meter readings at the dish were 95-100%, and the HR20 DVR is about 90-95%. I already knew that in contrast, the H20 receiver readings were lower than reality.

I'm very impressed with the HR20 so far, as an HD tuner/receiver, as well as a DVR.

My locals in Kansas City in HD are at times absolutely unwatchable. Reminds me of early days of streaming video over the web.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)