hr20 receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

toohott7718

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 11, 2008
I have an hr20 directv receiver and I want to know if there is a way I can transfer my programs I recorded to an external hard drive? There is a sata input and a usb input on the receiver. I dont know what those are for exactly but maybe someone can help me. thank you

I have an external hard drive that I use to back my computer, I seen that ad I am limited on funds so thats a little high for me right now, but thanks.

I have an external hard drive that I use to back my computer, I seen that ad I am limited on funds so thats a little high for me right now, but thanks.
you could do some searching about different ones, and diff prices. D* also has some info about it on their website.

The esata port on the receiver is to attach an esata drive, which will then become the only drive the receiver uses to record shows. You cant transfer shows from the internal built in drive to the external without removing it, and theres no way to move that drive to another receiver or a computer to see the shows.

The USB ports on the receiver have no customer usable functions, other than to charge an ipod or power a USB device.

The esata port on the receiver is to attach an esata drive, which will then become the only drive the receiver uses to record shows. You cant transfer shows from the internal built in drive to the external without removing it, and theres no way to move that drive to another receiver or a computer to see the shows.

The USB ports on the receiver have no customer usable functions, other than to charge an ipod or power a USB device.
Well put:up

There are some really good deals on esata hard drives. You can get a 1TB drive for less than $180. If you decide to get one, make sure to read the topic on it here. Not every hard drive will work with every dvr.

Directv recommends the Seagate Showcase and the Western Digital DVR Expander.

While other drives/setups may work (today), they wont be supported by directv and directv may ask you to remove the unsupported drive and reproduce any problems that you have before troubleshooting or replacing equipment.

Each receiver logs what type of drive, manufacturer and serial number on each boot, and the logs are available to directv service techs.

While other drives/setups may work (today), they wont be supported by directv and directv may ask you to remove the unsupported drive and reproduce any problems that you have before troubleshooting or replacing equipment.

Each receiver logs what type of drive, manufacturer and serial number on each boot, and the logs are available to directv service techs.

Really ....
I didn't know that, how do they know, I don't think it's listed in any of the menus on the recvr.
I have never had a tech ask me about my EHD.

Jimbo

I wasn't aware that Directv supported external hard drives in any way. When did this start?

Jimbo - when linux (the operating system used by the HR2x's) boots, it queries and logs all the information from the disk drives. This is stored in a boot log file which is routinely uploaded to directv if you've got a network connection. I'm not sure if or how often its sent to the mothership on a phone line.

The info includes which drives are mounted internally and which drives are mounted externally, the make, the model and the serial number.

Its possible that you might never be challenged on this due to support problems and the tech might never look at the info, but its available. That only a few percent of directv customers even use esata (or know they could) also probably plays a factor.

I'd expect that to change in time as more people use esata drives with their receivers and more problems turn out to be a customers iffy external drive.

For supported drive info, see this:

DIRECTV: Tips & Tricks: Connect an External Hard Drive

Jimbo - when linux (the operating system used by the HR2x's) boots, it queries and logs all the information from the disk drives. This is stored in a boot log file which is routinely uploaded to directv if you've got a network connection. I'm not sure if or how often its sent to the mothership on a phone line.

The info includes which drives are mounted internally and which drives are mounted externally, the make, the model and the serial number.

Its possible that you might never be challenged on this due to support problems and the tech might never look at the info, but its available. That only a few percent of directv customers even use esata (or know they could) also probably plays a factor.

I'd expect that to change in time as more people use esata drives with their receivers and more problems turn out to be a customers iffy external drive.

For supported drive info, see this:

DIRECTV: Tips & Tricks: Connect an External Hard Drive

I knew I've seen that info somewhere before :)

Interesting how they talk about it and tell you how to do it, but STILL leave a disclosure about NOT supporting it :eek:

Of course adding external devices to thier system I suppose they are not required to support it.
They certainly are not going to replace your unit if it goes bad, HOWEVER they could make it easier to work with, such as combining units instead of disabling one drive and they could make it so it would only reboot when TOLD to or on initial start up so you could move the drive around if needed .... unfortunatly you LOSE all your recordings when you put it on a different unit (replacement).

I think the reason why they arent supporting it, and arent offering 750gb or 1tb units is because the system struggles with that much storage. On the rare occasions I've reverted to the internal drive, the remote response time seems better and it seems I have fewer problems.

But a 300gb disk just isnt going to cut it for us.

So that might be why they're dragging on esata support, or a native 1tb HR2x.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)