HR20 USB port

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kianrafiee

Sep 30, 2006
What's the usb port on the front of the receiver for? Is it for external hard drives later on?

We can't do what Dish just started letting people do with external drives huh?

I was just wondering if there will ever be a way to record HD content onto an external hard drive connected to my HR20 to watch at a later time and to keep for as long as I want.

What's the usb port on the front of the receiver for? Is it for external hard drives later on?

We can't do what Dish just started letting people do with external drives huh?

I was just wondering if there will ever be a way to record HD content onto an external hard drive connected to my HR20 to watch at a later time and to keep for as long as I want.

You can use the usb port for an external fan.

You can connect an external eSATA hard drive to the HR20 to expand the hours available.

Lots of info on this forum about the HR20.
DirecTV™ HR20 Q&A - DBSTalk.Com

Incorrect, you do not expand anything. You replace the internal drive storage with external and completely waste 300 GB of space.:rolleyes:

You had to do it, didn't you ....

You CAN add what ever size Hard drive you want to your unit as an EXTERNAL set up, as V said you will no longer use the internal one at that point.
So if you add a 750 GB for example everything would then record in THAT unit, to access the internal unit again you would need to unhook the external one.

Jimbo

Having read numerous posts about this subject, it appears that you remove the external drive and re-boot the DVR. Then the DVR's hard drive becomes 'active' again and any recordings stored on that drive will still be there. The real 'trick' is figuring out how to use the external hard drive on more than one DVR (example: your DVR crashes and is toast; if the exteranl HD is permanently married to that DVR, then all your recordings are lost). Is there any work around?

You cant use the ext drive to watch recorded shows on any other hr20.

Being its unsupported Im just glad it works so well(so far). Hopefully theyll make both usable, but with my 750 I have more storage than I need.

My only complaint is having to redo settings and series links after installing the ext hdd.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)