HR20 vs HR21

Status
Please reply by conversation.

alipas

Original poster
Sep 4, 2007
Can anyone tell me what is the difference between hr20 and hr21? Is one better than the other?

99% exact

HR20 built-in ATSC tuner
HR21 no ATSC tuner

Same goes for the non-DVR models
H20
H21

Last edited:
A couple other things, the HR21's are black, the HR20's silver. The HR21's also have a 2nd ethernet port to be used to passthru a network connection. They also have a coax DD5.1 port along with the fiber.

While the HR21's don't have ATSC tuners there is an external ATSC tuner due to become available late February/early March that provides OTA digital support.

A couple other things, the HR21's are black, the HR20's silver. The HR21's also have a 2nd ethernet port to be used to passthru a network connection. They also have a coax DD5.1 port along with the fiber.

While the HR21's don't have ATSC tuners there is an external ATSC tuner due to become available late February/early March that provides OTA digital support.

Which will cost extra, I'd rather have my own turner built in like the good ol' HR20-700, I guess they cut down on production cost on their DVR's since there is such a huge demand for it, If you have an HR20-700 its a keeper until they come up with something that has a built in OTA tuner.

Which will cost extra, ...

The number being thrown around is $59. Between D* lowering the price to $199 of the HR21 and the extra $59 the cost is less ($258) then when they only had the HR20's for $299. Why did D* remove the internal ATSC tuners, $$$$$$'s. The feeling was that they plan to light up HD LIL channels to the point where people really don't care/want/need ATSC tuners so let's pull them and reduce our costs. For folks that do need ATSC they provide and alternative but it costs the customer for the capability. IMHO, D* should give the external tuners away for free if they don't carry at least the big four networks for the customer.

You can ask but no promises. Some folks have said recently that they got one, other say they've tried but gave up. Somefolks say that D* says to go find one at a store and get it there. Hopefully the AM21 ATSC tuner box will be available at the end of Feb/early Mar so it won't matter then.

Installer is bringing a 21 to the house on saturday. Hopefully the ota tuner will be available soon. My market (columbia, mo) is way down on the local hd priority.

You can ask but no promises. Some folks have said recently that they got one, other say they've tried but gave up. Somefolks say that D* says to go find one at a store and get it there. Hopefully the AM21 ATSC tuner box will be available at the end of Feb/early Mar so it won't matter then.

Funny (?) story...just called to sign up and had the CSR literally argue with me about the HR21 having the OTA capability when I asked for a HR20 because of the ATSC tuner....what a great start to a relationship.....I said nevermind and hung up and called back and got a really nice guy who said he would check to see if there are any available in our area which he did and there are....although "miss thing" told me there was no way to verify availablility and we would get whatever the warehouse sent. What Service! I am really happy with my deal as well as the $50 referral (thanks GoalieBob). Now lets keep our fingers crossed on the install!:)

Does anyone know if the optical digital can be split using an optical splitter? My xbox and dvd player, can, for instance, both use the splitter, but my comcast box can not be split! So I have to use its' coax audio. If the HR20 doesn't have coax out I'm not sure how I'll split it.

Sorry, my bad. I didn't realize you were talking about coax audio out.

Does anyone know if the optical digital can be split using an optical splitter? My xbox and dvd player, can, for instance, both use the splitter, but my comcast box can not be split! So I have to use its' coax audio. If the HR20 doesn't have coax out I'm not sure how I'll split it.

There are a lot of switches for optical, the manual ones are about $8 and are 1x3. The ones with remote control and/or auto switching were in the $50 range back when I was shopping for one. Splitters exist also but I have always preferred switches to splitters for everything.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)