HR21-700 Audio Drop-outs

Ritchie

Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
Since the 3/7 CE software download, I've been having audio problems with my HR21. This is version 0x206.

It manifests as an audio loss, for less than a second (probably less than 1/2 sec). Sometimes this occurs a single time; sometimes it occurs numerous times for a few seconds. The video is usually nominal when this occurs, but I think I've seen some occasions where a frame or so is dropped. This is not the same as the pixilation artifacts I've seen, for instance when the signal is on the ragged edge, nor is it the fault I attribute to a codec execution problem where a mpeg frame division fails, but the rest of the frame is OK.

I didn't notice this before the 0x206 download. Ironically, I downloaded this version because of failed recordings using the previous version. So, I'm not convinced this is a software problem. Other perhaps relevant observations. Seems to do this whether or not recording is going on. Does this on any channel. Signal strength is still up where it was when the KA dish was installed. Self test passes. Internal temp not high (116 degrees) Perhaps worse while recording, perhaps worse while recording HD, but not always. As I'm typing this, I'm recording John Adams in HD, and watching it real time, and there have been no audio faults for the past 30 minutes. There were numerous faults before the last 1/2 hour.

Any one else seen (heard) this? Any ideas are welcome, especially any method to test further.

Rich Miller

I'ts always been...

This unit was installed in early Feb, and every time I look, it runs near this temp. My HR20 typically shows temps closer to 100. (it has a fan, the 21 doesn't seem to have a fan) Neither unit is in a thermally challenging environment. No nearby heat sources, the bottom air intakes are open, they both live in ~70 atmospheres, ... What do you consider a normal temp?

Rich Miller

I've had a really hard time with CNN HN on 204 with audio. That's even an SD channel. I get frequent cut outs, garbled audio and then my audio receiver eventually gives up trying. I have to turn the audio source off and on on the receiver to get audio back. No, it's not my audio receiver that is the problem.

Some HD channels seem to cut for a second or two every 5-20 minues. Though it doesn't always happen. I've also never had a problem with a recording and audio, just live TV.

I wonder if optical vs digital coax would make a difference? I'm using digital coax with the HR21.

Coax vs Glass Audio Feed

The problems I've heard have been while using HDMI audio into a Sharp TV, and using DD output. I use an optical connection to a Sony AV amp, but I haven't fired it up to listen for problems. Good thought though, it hadn't occured to me to test the other outputs. But I'm guessing that all three digital outputs come from the same audio bitstream.????

Rich Miller

The sound issues appear to be related to the buffering or decoding not the particular output. If you hit pause or rewind just a bit so you aren't watching "live" TV the audio loss pretty much disappears. By watching the delayed recorded show - just a few seconds later - the audio comes through fine. It is extremely annoying that a live feed isn't being processed correctly. Hopefully it will be corrected quickly.

I am having the same problem and that is what I think is going on as well, the buffer cannot keep up. But I don't think it is "live feed" that is the problem, because I find it on watching recorded shows. I found that if I fast forward(using the quick jump) the sound takes about 5 seconds to come back after playing has resumed. I have not verified my software version, but I assume it is on 206 because this just started happening.

Should not be a big problem, but I sure hate it when it starts happending. Lets get this resolved.

I'm having an issue with an H21 using dvi and rca's, cartoon network hd 0296 has an audi pop sound thats very audible, the audio level drops two notches then comes back up.

I'm watching this on a vizio 32' lcd with audio also going to a sony bookshelf surround sound system just using the front speakers.

I'm getting the same sort of sporradic audio loss (for half a sec or less) sometimes every few minutes sometimes maybe once in a 30min show. But, I didn't notice the audio loss on hbo channels last night (maybe just a fluke though).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)