HR21-700 pausing on its own

Status
Please reply by conversation.

johnds

Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
portland
Hi Folks,

I am new here. My hr21-700 is pausing on its own very frequently now. My signal is great and the internal temp is 113. It stops for about 20 seconds and then takes off again. I can rewind and play again and nothing is missing. I suspect the hard drive. Is it possible to hook up an external hard drive to this unit and disable the internal drive in case I have to send this back to direct tv? This unit is about 18 months old.

Thanks,
johnds

Last edited:
Same Here

I am having the same problem. It seems to only happen during playback of a recorded show or playback if I rewind a real time broadcast. I've reset the unit several times and even reset it back to factory defaults w/ hard drive format but still having the same problems. I have also updated the software to the latest release with the same results. I've noticed that I can exit the playback once it freezes and then restart it faster then waiting for it to restart on its own.

I have an external hard drive being delivered today. I will hook it up and let you know if that solves the problem.

Johnds

I just installed the 1tb hard drive talked about in this link.

This forum will not let me post the link till I have 3 posts. I will try again on my next post.

Took 10 minutes before I had my picture back. I lost all my favorite like they said. This drive really increased the speed on the menu as well.

So far so good.

Johnds

24 hours later. I really like this new drive. All my problems have disappeared. This drive makes menu scrolling much faster than the drive that came with this hr21-700 not to mention the big increase in storage. It cost $109 dollars to fix my problem. Since this dvr is only 18 months old, I had another 6 months to go on my commitment, I was looking at $200 for a replacement dvr.

My new drive has a one year warranty. Who knows what the reliability will be. Hopefully this repair will last long enough to get me into the time frame that a tivo based two receiver dvr will be available. I miss my hd10-250 but it only had one receiver.

Good luck,
Johnds

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts