HR22-100 question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

vpallari

Original poster
Jan 12, 2012
Home
All - Ive been a DTV customer for quite a while. about 4 years ago I upgraded to HD DVR and got an HR22-100. Its been awful. At times, it can take up to 30 seconds to respond to a remote command. My 2 years was just up so I resigned with for a bill decrease and 2 new revievers. I made it clear that I wanted something newer then what I had. I made a bad assumption that in 4 years their technology got better. I just got my "new" dvrs in the mail. Referbished HR22-100's. 2 questions:
1) Whats the best HD DVR to ask for
2) How should I go about resolving this issue with them.

vpallari said:
All - Ive been a DTV customer for quite a while. about 4 years ago I upgraded to HD DVR and got an HR22-100. Its been awful. At times, it can take up to 30 seconds to respond to a remote command. My 2 years was just up so I resigned with for a bill decrease and 2 new revievers. I made it clear that I wanted something newer then what I had. I made a bad assumption that in 4 years their technology got better. I just got my "new" dvrs in the mail. Referbished HR22-100's. 2 questions:
1) Whats the best HD DVR to ask for
2) How should I go about resolving this issue with them.

HR24's, personally I think are the best. Directv won't promos a reciever. Your best best if you want the best you'll have to buy one online at the dish store or solid signal.

As far as resolving it, if you haven't activated it yet send it back! They'll take it back. If its activated you're kinda stuck with it OR call for a service tech and tell them you would really like to swap it out. 9/10 of the time they'll swap if for you

Thanks for the reply Hutch. I haven't activated either of them. If they wont promise a receiver, then what can I expect by asking them to take it back....and what would a tech swap it to?

vpallari said:
Thanks for the reply Hutch. I haven't activated either of them. If they wont promise a receiver, then what can I expect by asking them to take it back....and what would a tech swap it to?

They'll do promise the world to get you to activate it. Remember, once that receiver(s) activate its another 2 years! Dont let them talk you in to it unless you decide to go the service tech route. More then likely you would have it replaced for the HR24 model. If not, tell them to reschedule the appointment an keep going that route until a service tech gets there that has one on their van

Other option would be to go the route Hutch mentioned earlier, get one from Dish Store, ask for Claude, tell him your from here.
Or Solid Signal ...

However you'll have to pay for them up front when you order them.
I would do that and then once you have them, call D* and tell them you would like to de activate the HR22 you don't like and activate the HR24's and ask them if they will credit you any of your expense, they may credit you something, possibly a monthly discount, typically they don't give a straight up credit.

Agree with the above. I guess I should have added to my point was that sometime be careful what you wish for. That not everything is exactly what you think it is and not always better. BUT if you have a free fix with no contract extension (which is never a worry of mine) then all you can do is try to resolve your issue.

Thats one of the pieces of information that I was originally after. What is the best Direct TV HDDVR available. My HR22-100 is so f(#*$ slow. When I try and manage my recordings It can take a full min to complete a delete and return control to me. Its just unacceptable. When Im running around and trying to throw something on for the kids and it takes 5 mins to get to my recordings scroll through open a folder select a show and have it actually play..its just too long.

I have a HR22-100 and it run flawlessly.

Same here. I've had an HR22-100 since my HD upgrade in Sept '08. I'm sure it's slower than the newer boxes but mine improved considerably after the recent new HD guide software download. I've never had to wait more than a few seconds for command responses. However, that may be due to my HD utilization. I'm at 60% remaining on my HD. That may affect response time if a HD is near the top of capacity useage.

Just called DTV. They are sending out 23's or 24's but the rep told me that I should tell the install guy to bing spares. If they mail me 23's then they tech can give me 24's. SO that works out :) Plus they gave me 50 bucks for the trouble :)))

When D* came to install, I asked the guy straight up for an hr-24, and he only had 23's with him. I said that I would refuse the install if I didn't get a 24, so he called it in and said I needed to "reschedule" (because he had 24's back at the shop) and he went and got me a 24. I know they won't "promise" you anything but these guys know the score for the most part and if you're saavy, they'll usually hook you up with what you want, in my experience.

driz said:
When D* came to install, I asked the guy straight up for an hr-24, and he only had 23's with him. I said that I would refuse the install if I didn't get a 24, so he called it in and said I needed to "reschedule" (because he had 24's back at the shop) and he went and got me a 24. I know they won't "promise" you anything but these guys know the score for the most part and if you're saavy, they'll usually hook you up with what you want, in my experience.

As long as the supervisior allows you to reschedule. We have some...well to be polite, inconsiderate supervisiors in my market. They would refuse until the sub gets so mad they don't even keep the install at all. But yes, you can always use the "I want a HRXX or pack it up" technique

got hdr24's and lovin it. So much faster then my old receivers. Now Im wonderin if I should hook up the whole house thing. I have 2 hdr24's, one up stairs and one down. Should I hook them up whole house? is it worth it??

I also have another random question..not sure if anyone can answer this. With my new samsung LED and HDr24's ..I cant believe the difference between my new TV and my 5 year old scepter 42 inch hd 1080p. The quality difference is dramatic. Shouldnt 1080p look the same on both? My samsung is so high def it hurts. Watchin Pale Rider I could literally count the hairs on Clints face....not so much with older scepter. So question 1 is, what gives? is this just the evolution of 4 years of HD? I cant imagine..i mean 1080p should be 1080p right? Second question. My new samsung..the one thing we are not liking is the motion. Everything looks weird...cant think of a better way to describe. the image is so crisp but the motion kind of scrolls along and movements look, well, as described by my like Im watching a video of stage actors. Anyway, I dont know a better way to describe it, but anyone has any input on that, it would be great

I also find it interesting that if you channel surf very quickly and guide scroll faster it improves remote responses temporarly but takes long to open playlist especially on external hd full of recordings basically how a computer reacts when you have lots of videos,music,movies etc.

got hdr24's and lovin it. So much faster then my old receivers. Now Im wonderin if I should hook up the whole house thing. I have 2 hdr24's, one up stairs and one down. Should I hook them up whole house? is it worth it??

I also have another random question..not sure if anyone can answer this. With my new samsung LED and HDr24's ..I cant believe the difference between my new TV and my 5 year old scepter 42 inch hd 1080p. The quality difference is dramatic. Shouldnt 1080p look the same on both? My samsung is so high def it hurts. Watchin Pale Rider I could literally count the hairs on Clints face....not so much with older scepter. So question 1 is, what gives? is this just the evolution of 4 years of HD? I cant imagine..i mean 1080p should be 1080p right? Second question. My new samsung..the one thing we are not liking is the motion. Everything looks weird...cant think of a better way to describe. the image is so crisp but the motion kind of scrolls along and movements look, well, as described by my like Im watching a video of stage actors. Anyway, I dont know a better way to describe it, but anyone has any input on that, it would be great

There can be a dramatic difference between one set and another even if they are both at the same resolution. Yes, 1080P is 1080P but there are different refresh rates and contrast ratios. When it comes to your probably choppy video some sets have settings for motion smoothing and such. Break out your manual, look thru it and see what settings there are for you to fiddle with, most higher end sets will have some sort of motion smoothing effect that will help that. Good luck and happy watching....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)