Status
Please reply by conversation.

Boobie1998

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Aug 7, 2010
Pennsylvania
Hi Everyone,

New here and need your help. I have 2 hr22/100 receiver and the problem I'm having is there both slow when it comes to channel changing, surfing and guide scrolling. Last summer I called directv and because they though it was the receivers they sent me two replacements. It didn't fix the problem i just tolerated it. Now I cant seem to live with it so I called them again and this time was told it's my remote. I got to replacement remote but the problem is still here. My ETF is $140 and I'm willing to pay it just to go back to cable. I have native turn off. There not connected to my home networking cause that just seems to slow them even more. I have both TV set up on resolution 1080. Not sure what else to try. If anyone know what I can do please advise. Willing to try anything b4 I decide if I want to terminate.

Thank You

Boobie1998

Well, I hate to say it , but thats just how they work.
Slow and buggy. You could try and get D* to get you the HR24. They claim thats the best D* receiver out there.

Something to try if you haven't done it already...

Go into your display settings and turn scrolling effects off.

Then disable the model ID on the remote:
-press mute & select together until green light on remote flashes twice
-press 963 & green light should flash again
-press channel down & green light should flash again
-reset receiver

It may not work but it fixed it (at least for the time I was on the phone) about 60% of the time when I got calls about slowness.

Def turn scrolling effects off.

Thats just how the HR21 and 22 are. Let me ask you this, other than that, all the other features, plus the recording capacity, you'd still go back to cable? Not me.

Something to try if you haven't done it already...

Go into your display settings and turn scrolling effects off.

Then disable the model ID on the remote:
-press mute & select together until green light on remote flashes twice
-press 963 & green light should flash again
-press channel down & green light should flash again
-reset receiver

It may not work but it fixed it (at least for the time I was on the phone) about 60% of the time when I got calls about slowness.

I'll try disabling model ID. Scrolling effects already had done.

Thanks

Def turn scrolling effects off.

Thats just how the HR21 and 22 are. Let me ask you this, other than that, all the other features, plus the recording capacity, you'd still go back to cable? Not me.

I think I would go back to cable. The box should work. I don't want to just put up with it. Scrolling effects is off.

OMG it cant be that slow unless its defective. Get a replacement before you go back to cable. I have one in the bedroom and 2 of my buds have one and they dont come close to being as slow as described.

Charper, I know your HR's are super fast, but realistically, my HR22 in the bedroom can take several seconds sometimes to scroll the guide, after the button push. It almost makes you think it's hung up. The one that was in the living room (HR24 replaced it) was even worse with the AM21, especially when it was recording two OTA programs.

I think I would go back to cable. The box should work. I don't want to just put up with it. Scrolling effects is off.

My 22 is slow too, but not enough to go back to cable. If you dislike it that much then.......I say either call D* and see if you can work something out, or call your local cable provider.

I forgot what you do on the front panel... but if you call tech support they will be able to tell you how to do the following as I had the same problem with mine...

Do a full HDD format and reset of the receiver. It will format the HDD, revert to some really old firmware and then when it turns back on from the reset it will download whatever is coming down from the satellite at that time.

IT WORKED FOR MINE before it really bit the dust 6 mo later

I forgot what you do on the front panel... but if you call tech support they will be able to tell you how to do the following as I had the same problem with mine...

Do a full HDD format and reset of the receiver. It will format the HDD, revert to some really old firmware and then when it turns back on from the reset it will download whatever is coming down from the satellite at that time.

IT WORKED FOR MINE before it really bit the dust 6 mo later

I'll try anything. If anyone knows how to do what dsprague2 suggested please post.

Well everyone,

Guess I'm going to keep D* for now. There nothing more I can try, except disconnect. If anyone know how to do what "dsprague2" advise please posr instructions.

Thanks
Boobie1998

My HR21 is slow. It can take several seconds to call up the guide or to change channels.

But so what? It isn't like my life is that much worse for waiting another 5 seconds. The guide still comes up, I can still scroll through it, I get to the channel I want to watch.

It would be nice if it were faster, but it works, it records perfectly, it never freezes up. Every time it bothers me, I take a breath to chill out.

My receiver is slow too, but it does its job. I got plenty of time to wait on it. You got to wait on just about everything in life I think. Alot of people just want the most fanciest receiver with the most bells and whistles and the largest hard drives only then to record and then wait and maybe watch them 3 months later.

Lem52

I just watched "Charlie Wilson's War" off of my HR21. I recorded it in March, 2009. This was the first time I watched the recording.

This is not the first time I've waited a year to watch a recording. I have two others that are over 6 months old, waiting to be watched.

This is why I never joined the Netflix DVD mail club. I may reconsider now that you can access those movies over the Internet.

I have searched everywhere for a fix to the slow hr22 problem. I have also tried everything, Manual Reset, 0-2-4-6-8 at first blue screen, Reformatting the harddrive, turning native off, turning all but one resolution off, you name it and nothing has worked.

What did work for my HR22-100 was to tell it to hide all HD channels (I know that defeats its purpose). That put me back to where I was before upgrading my dish to a SLIMLINE 5S or S5.

By the way, that is when my troubles began, upgrading my dish get HD channels, :D. I have ordered an HR24 and we will then see what happens. I think some HR22's cannot handle the HD signal from the SLIMLINE. I have the shiny finish one. There is an opaque finish one out there, or so I hear. Or the cable run is too long. I live in a condo with about 200 feet of cable run from the roof.

I hope this helps someone like me out there that could not find an answer.

MartianMarvin

I have searched everywhere for a fix to the slow hr22 problem. I have also tried everything, Manual Reset, 0-2-4-6-8 at first blue screen, Reformatting the harddrive, turning native off, turning all but one resolution off, you name it and nothing has worked.

What did work for my HR22-100 was to tell it to hide all HD channels (I know that defeats its purpose). That put me back to where I was before upgrading my dish to a SLIMLINE 5S or S5.

By the way, that is when my troubles began, upgrading my dish get HD channels, :D. I have ordered an HR24 and we will then see what happens. I think some HR22's cannot handle the HD signal from the SLIMLINE. I have the shiny finish one. There is an opaque finish one out there, or so I hear. Or the cable run is too long. I live in a condo with about 200 feet of cable run from the roof.

I hope this helps someone like me out there that could not find an answer.

MartianMarvin

All of the Directv branded receivers/dvrs work with the Slimline dishes. 200 feet is a bit longer than recommended. There is a new GUI on the way very soon that should speed things up for you. Patience grasshopper! ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)