HR24-500 vs 200

Status
Please reply by conversation.

beware

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
St. Louis
Directv sent me out a replacement dvr in the HR 24 200 when I have had 500s. I was wondering what the differences were and if this is a downgrade? Directv tells me they have no say in the model sent to me from the warehouse and that there isn't a difference between the two.

I had the same experience a few months ago. What I learned is that the last three digits is a manufacturer/location code. As I understand it, functionally and aesthetically the boxes are the same but made by different factories. I have never opened up a box to see what's inside but from an operational standpoint I can't tell any difference between my HR24-100 and HR24-500 units.

When I signed up in August I had a HR24/500 and after it malfunctioned my replacement was a HR24/100. I haven't found any differences. So I wouldn't worry about it.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I'm getting DirecTV installed tomorrow. 2 DVRs and 1 HD receiver. I'd like to get the latest and greatest right now. I assume that's the HR24s for the DVRs, but what's the latest HD receiver I should hope for? I am getting the MRV feature also. And if they try to give me something older as far as the DVRs, is there anything I can do to get a newer one?

I'm getting DirecTV installed tomorrow. 2 DVRs and 1 HD receiver. I'd like to get the latest and greatest right now. I assume that's the HR24s for the DVRs, but what's the latest HD receiver I should hope for? I am getting the MRV feature also. And if they try to give me something older as far as the DVRs, is there anything I can do to get a newer one?

I would expect (you cant guarantee of course) that you will get two HR24 HD DVR receivers, and probably the H25 HD receiver. The H25 is VERY small. It has an external power supply, and the unit runs really cool. It is about the size of a hardback novel. I have one in my bedroom that has plenty of room on top of a DVD rack. I am very impressed with the H25, it is very fast and responsive. If you require a UHF remote, you will have to buy a seperate kit from DirecTV. I think they run about $35 or 40. It does not come with built in RF support like the HR24 series.

I would expect (you cant guarantee of course) that you will get two HR24 HD DVR receivers, and probably the H25 HD receiver. The H25 is VERY small. It has an external power supply, and the unit runs really cool. It is about the size of a hardback novel. I have one in my bedroom that has plenty of room on top of a DVD rack. I am very impressed with the H25, it is very fast and responsive. If you require a UHF remote, you will have to buy a seperate kit from DirecTV. I think they run about $35 or 40. It does not come with built in RF support like the HR24 series.
Yep, you were right on! I received 2 HR24s and an H25. So far so good, everything is working fine. I was surprised to see how small the H25 is, but it seems to work fine.

Question - thinking about moving to DTV. What is the best way to ensure getting H24s and H25? I'd ultimately like to jump on the Costco offer for Dtv unless there is a better way to ensure I get the most up to date receivers being shipped.

:welcome to Satelliteguys!

The best way is to get them yourself from a vendor like Solid Signal. Depending on what's in stock the day of your installation, you could get H/HR24s or something refurbished. From what I have read, most new installs are with new equipment. If you went with an independent installer you are pretty much guaranteed to get new.

Great, thanks. Regarding an independent installer, would that be a local company and authorized distributor for DTV? Not sure if Solid Signal is considered an independent installer or just an authorized distributor - they have a great website.... Interesting how DTVs website shows all current / new receivers but you could buy and get H2x receivers.

If you are getting the equipment online, you will get what you order. With Directv, not necessarily! I don't think Solid Signal installs. You should contact one of the sponsor here, The Dish Store. Claude will treat you right!

I love my HR24-200 and H24-200's. Since the -200 means it was manufactured by Samsung, maybe that's why it works GREAT on my Samsung TV? I've read trouble posts of people with the -500 showing red screens, or tuner issues, OTA AM21 tuner issues, graphic anomalies and all kinds of stuff. I'm sure the -200 could be susceptible to all that stuff too in the right conditions, but for me it's been pretty good.

Directv sent me out a replacement dvr in the HR 24 200 when I have had 500s. I was wondering what the differences were and if this is a downgrade? Directv tells me they have no say in the model sent to me from the warehouse and that there isn't a difference between the two.

The 500 caller ID seldom functions is the only difference I know of and I "own" one of each.

red hazard said:
The 500 caller ID seldom functions is the only difference I know of and I "own" one of each.

My 500 does the same thing. Sometimes it will work fine for a week or two then it stops. Sometimes it will start working after a day or two, other times I have to do a red button reset. My 200 doesn't have this problem.

Interesting, I have seen caller ID show up about 80% of the time on my HR24-500, when it would always show on my Dish ViP 622s. So I think you are onto something.

My 622 and 722K never had a problem with CID. I don't know how one could intentionally design something to work as sporadically as the HR24-500 does unintentionally.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)