Risk Level for this Download: High Risk

New features
Unified Search
"Watch Now/Soon" from DIRECTV Cinema

Improved/Updated
Under the hood

Notes
You will lose your guide cache when reverting from CE to national
Please do not report guide sluggish issues within the first 24 hours of download
Multi Room Viewing (MRV) is enabled with keyword “BRINGMRVBACK” and disabled with “LOSEMRV”.

Previous Release Notes
New features
CE:21:01 (0x034D) - Left Menu appearance
CE:21:01 (0x034D) - Support for Linksys WET610N Wireless Adapter
CE:21:03 (0x353/0x354) - MRV is back!
CE:21:05 (0x035B) - New Playlist and Playlist sorting persistence
CE:21:05 (0x035B) - DIRECTV On DEMAND program detail screen facelift
CE:21:09 (0x036A) - MRV is back!

Improved/Updated
CE:21:01 (0x034D) Very High Risk
Playlist touch ups
Prioritizer renamed "Series Manager"
"Rec. Once" and "Rec. Series" text now more user friendly in To Do List and Guide
In the TO DO LIST for upcoming recordings:
Rec. Once is now Episode Options
Rec. Series is now Series Options
In the TO DO LIST for programs currently recording:
Rec. Once... is now Recording...
Rec. Series... is now Series Options
In the GUIDE for non-series-link programs:
Rec. Once is now Record Once
Rec. Series is now Record Series
Under the hood
CE:21:02 (0x0350) Very High Risk
Under the hood
CE:21:03 (0x353/0x354) Very High Risk
Under the hood
CE:21:04 (0x0356) Very High Risk
Under the hood
CE:21:05 (0x035B) Very High Risk
Under the hood
CE:21:06 (0x035F) SCARY HIGH RISK
Under the hood
CE:21:07 (0x0364) Customer Candidate
Under the hood
CE:21:08 (0x0368) Customer Candidate
Under the hood
CE:21:09 (0x036A) Moderate Risk
Media Share Improvements
Under the hood

Got it on both of mine.

New feature is that the search function no longer is by title/category/etc. You just search. Not sure if I like that. I'll have to play with it. I used to search on categories a lot.

Theres also a pumpkin colored "new" next to the search function in the menu.

I wish they'd spend time fixing mrv instead of constantly changing the UI.

Okay, played with it a minute. They just turned it upside down. Instead of saying you want to look for a category or actor, you just punch in a search and it shows you shows, categories or keywords as you put it in. So thing you want to look for and then it gives you the options.

Seems rather unintuitive to me, and again different from every other dvr product I've used.

I dont think it means anything. Almost everything in the CE program since MRV came out was listed "high risk" except for a few releases just prior to a customer candidate.

A few weeks ago it was published as 'scary high risk' and the word was that the release could be very unstable, and it was no more problematic than any other.

I think directv is just labeling everything 'high risk' to limit the number of people who are downloading it.

That having been said, there are a few people here and there that lose all their shows or their series links. I'm guessing they had some other problems like a bad drive or corrupted file system, or it was just a problem coincidental to the CE download.

Other than some releases that rebooted a lot and made me revert to the national release and a few problems with shows not being recorded on occasion, I havent seen a whole lot of major risk. Wife Acceptance Factor has been pretty good except for the one time Oprah didnt record. ;)

Search...

Attachments

• search.jpg
    search.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 235
  • search 1.jpg
    search 1.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 240
Downloaded on HR23-700, R22, and (2) H23-600 - Seems to be working fine.

I reported last week that my HR23 was almost unusable on Friday night after CE download. This week, my HR23 has new life. I have NEVER seen it this fast and it's just after the download, so I'm sure it's working it's tail off. If it stays like this without needing constant resets, I'll be very happy!

What exactly is MVR?

What are the instructions for enabling?

MRV...Multi Room Viewing. Allows you to share recordings between receivers. Your receivers must be connected to a network. Wired is preferred, but some have had great success with wireless.

There is a lot of info here about MRV. Try a search, and you will get tons of info!

I was watching a program that was recorded on my R22, via MRV, on my HR23-700. The first program ran just fine. When I was finished watching this program, I deleted it. Then I went to start another program, and I got the error message "Playback failed Clients access card is invalid or absent".

HR23-700 Report: 20091031-3116
R22 Report: 20091031-2EBD

Reset of the R22 (where the recording is physically stored) did NOT fix the problem.
Reset of the HR23 (using MRV to view the recording) DID fix the problem.

My wife watched a show from the upstairs dvr and deleted it. It still shows on the downstairs dvr but if you click on it all you get is "done" and the detail is "deleted by the user". Resorting or hitting the red button on it in the playlist doesnt do any good. Still there.

May try a reboot in a bit. Never had a problem before with persistent inability to delete but I know others have.

Looked at the search some more. Different and less useful than before. Sorry for anyone who spent hours doing search macros for their universal remotes. Looks to me to be a way to drive more eyeballs at the pay per view and premium channels, since those show up a lot more now when categorized searches are the follow on rather than the primary.

My wife watched a show from the upstairs dvr and deleted it. It still shows on the downstairs dvr but if you click on it all you get is "done" and the detail is "deleted by the user". Resorting or hitting the red button on it in the playlist doesnt do any good. Still there.

May try a reboot in a bit. Never had a problem before with persistent inability to delete but I know others have.

Looked at the search some more. Different and less useful than before. Sorry for anyone who spent hours doing search macros for their universal remotes. Looks to me to be a way to drive more eyeballs at the pay per view and premium channels, since those show up a lot more now when categorized searches are the follow on rather than the primary.

I haven't been here long, but I know that you are one of the more respected members of this site. I personally would read one of your posts as "knowledge" rather than "rantings" However, this post has me a little confused. Are you just ranting to the memembers of Sat Guys, or is this a post directed at D? If it was directed at D, I would think that you would be a little more precise with your statements and have given a report number. As we all know, a CE release is not meant to be perfect, so to assume so is just nieve. If you just meant to rant to the boys at Sat Guys, I do apologize.

Okay, played with it a minute. They just turned it upside down. Instead of saying you want to look for a category or actor, you just punch in a search and it shows you shows, categories or keywords as you put it in. So thing you want to look for and then it gives you the options.

Seems rather unintuitive to me, and again different from every other dvr product I've used.

Fortunately I don't find myself searching all that much. It's not a NR, so I wouldn't put too much into this yet. Hopefully they play with it more though. I'm not a fan either.

If it was directed at D, I would think that you would be a little more precise with your statements and have given a report number. As we all know, a CE release is not meant to be perfect, so to assume so is just nieve. If you just meant to rant to the boys at Sat Guys, I do apologize.

Since directv doesnt read this site for CE purposes, its definitely not to them. I dont produce reports anymore because I dont think directv looks at them unless they see a CE post that describes what problem is occurring so they know what to look for. Since I dont think they read here...

You're right, the CE is not meant to be perfect, but it is a sounding board to try things out and a lot of the things that are tried are rescinded or changed as a result of the feedback people get. While I dont believe that directv will read anything that I write here, I have many other ways to give them feedback, including directly to the senior developers and marketing folks.

I do have to admit to a number of pet peeves. One is fixing things that arent broken. One is changing user interface look and feel without really producing a significant functional benefit to both the new user and the existing customer base, because change is usually awkward and annoying to the latter. Another is spending time and money on things that might be 'nice to have' while things that are giant major pains in the butt or really attractive features seem to get limited resources.

In the directv world, some pet peeves include making the product arbitrarily look or work differently from other dvrs. This can be a big impediment to people migrating from a tivo or dish network box (or PC based pvr's) to directv.

I see what they're doing here. It started as "Hey, we can make this look a lot like google!" and for someone who has used computers and not used a dvr before, that might be intuitive. For anyone who has used a dvr before, its unfamiliar. I see from the searches that since the search loops in far more stuff than the old title/category type search it DOES give you more information (if more was what you were looking for), but it also shows me a ton of premium channels I dont get and ppv content I dont want. That problem is why the 'search' and autorecord functions of the directv dvr are 110% useless to me. I have to wade through so much stuff that I dont want that it just takes too long. And I cant turn off the channels I dont get or dont want, and that is something I've been told will never be an option because directv wants me to look at all this stuff I could buy, that I wont buy and dont want.

I would much rather see directv hone the mrv feature, fix 'channels I get" to really be channels I get, fix the keyword autorecord to not record things I'm not subscribed to, improve the response time of the box and remote control, add media player/netflix/youtube type functionality directly to the box, roll out and officially support large external disk storage, a high definition user interface, etc, etc.

Instead this cycle has included a return of many mrv bugs that were previously fixed, lots of effort to remove tabs from the UI, playing about with font sizes and other cosmetic stuff.

Okay, ranting and raving is over...:rant:;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)