HR34 Additional Equipment Needed for Self Installation

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mwk

Original poster
Feb 22, 2012
Texas
I called DirecTV last night and the HR34 is available for existing customers.

399.00 + 50.00 (additonal equipment) +40.00 install.

I've seen a few places where you can purchase the receiver from someone other than DirecTV.

Just what is needed for the install? I currently have a HD Dual Tuner DVR and a regular HD receiver with Whole Home Service. My equipment was installed about 6 months ago. There is only one cable running to each receiver. The HR34 will only be hooked up to one tv. I know there is room for at least two more cable runs.

So basically, I'm asking, can I purchase the HR34 and put it in place of the HD Receiver?

Thank you.

Last edited:
mwk said:
I called DirecTV last night and the HR34 is available for existing customers.

399.00 + 50.00 (additonal equipment) +40.00 install.

I've seen a few places where you can purchase the receiver from someone other than DirecTV.

Just what is needed for the install? I currently have a HD Dual Tuner DVR and a regular HD receiver with Whole Home Service. My equipment was installed about 6 months ago. There is only one cable running to each receiver. The HR34 will only be hooked up to one tv. I know there is room for at least two more cable runs.

So basically, I'm asking, can I purchase the HR34 and put it in place of the HD Receiver?

Thank you.

Even if you did buy the 34 from a retailer you still need a swm16 which aren't cheap (200-300). So your best bet is probably through Dtv.

ballstothewallinstall said:
Even if you did buy the 34 from a retailer you still need a swm16 which aren't cheap (200-300). So your best bet is probably through Dtv.

He won't need the swm16, that will give him the max of 8 tuners. 1 HDDVR=2, 1 HD=1, and HR34=5. That's 8 total. If he can buy it cheaper by all means do!

If you don't need any hardware, and Directv won't give you any discounts (try calling a couple times to be sure), ebay is the only place running below the $400.

Two reliable looking sellers on there $378 shipped.

A couple weeks ago there was a seller with multiple listings and I snagged one for $355 shipped. $350 is about the lowest they have gone but there is not near as many on there right now versus a few weeks ago.

Solid signal, value electronics, and a few others are right around $399 shipped.

I will replace the HD receiver with the HR34 which would then be 7 tuners. My existing equipment should be able to handle the HR34 then?

Does the HR34 require additional cable runs or is only the one needed?

Thank you.

I will replace the HD receiver with the HR34 which would then be 7 tuners. My existing equipment should be able to handle the HR34 then?

Does the HR34 require additional cable runs or is only the one needed?

Thank you.
Based on everything you have said; yes. The HR34 only needs the one coax connection. Your heading of "self-install" usually means you are going to add new equipment rather than just replace an existing piece of equipment, which in turn means that you need additional wiring, connecting, etc. If you are going to do something like that you need to get the proper tools for the connections, etc. Since you are just going to disconnect one receiver and put another (HR34) in its place, all should be good to go.

Correct, if you have just an HMC and an HD-DVR, that is 7 tuners, and your existing config (assuming a SWiM LNB setup) will work fine.

As Bob said, no additional cable runs needed.

I would simply say just be careful with buying from an individual. There are a lot of HR34s out there that are older than you would think. You might want to get one from a retailer in a sealed box.

Is your SWM 16 made out of gold? I just bought a new one with 2 8-way splitters (green label) and power inserter for $90 total on ebay. Brand New using Buy it now, and there were many more like it in the same price range.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts