HR34 keep it?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

wildbill129

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 31, 2009
Redding, CA
Hi guys, it's been a while since I've posted on here, and I'm not as up to date on Directv equip. as I used to be. So....I thought I would ask you.

I got a free genie upgrade and asked for the hr44 knowing they can't promise anything. I rolled the dice and got a refurb hr34. I had heard there were issues with the 34. Do I keep it or send it back? For those that have the 34's how are they working?

I have had the HR34 for like 3 months now and it's been working like a charm, I have downloaded the latest beta software on it though, and mine was new too, so I can't promise your experience will be the same, but I would say you don't have much to worry about.

I have had the HR34 for like 3 months now and it's been working like a charm, I have downloaded the latest beta software on it though, and mine was new too, so I can't promise your experience will be the same, but I would say you don't have much to worry about.

I'm all for trying CE software, I'll be sure to try that if I keep it. Thanks for your feedback, thats encouraging.

Well, I can tell you I've used the 34 for a year now and tonight I ordered a 44 to replace it.

The new boxes have gotten cheap, today they dropped to $195 shipped by two sellers on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...1375234727&sr=8-1&keywords=hr44&condition=new

For me the features I want is the speed, optical audio (don't know why they took that off the 34, but my receiver doesn't have coax and I can get rid of the converter box), and the IR/RF combined mode making my slingbox setup much more practical.

Here are the key differences I remember:

Faster
Smaller (the power adapter is now external)
IR/RF at the same time
Optical Audio added back
Wifi built in (eliminate separate cinema connection kit)

All said, if you got the HR34 free it may full well meet your needs. I was willing to spend $100 to get the HR44 (direcTV credited me $100 to my account since I know they can't guarantee a model and I wanted to buy where I could get a certain HR44).

Thanks to all the responses. I decided to keep it and hooked it and two clients up yesterday. No issues with speed. The genie is smoking fast at scrolling through the guide, bringing up menus, etc. Even the clients change channels at normal speeds. Glad I kept it........

No issues with speed.

This tends to get worse with time as the box does more. My HR34 after a year or so of use seems slower to load things and change screens than my HR24.

That said I'm a pretty particular user, for most Directv customers the HR34 is likely perfectly fast enough.

I hope yours stays zippy.

Thanks to all the responses. I decided to keep it and hooked it and two clients up yesterday. No issues with speed. The genie is smoking fast at scrolling through the guide, bringing up menus, etc. Even the clients change channels at normal speeds. Glad I kept it........

Please post again on November 1st and talk about how fast it is...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts