HR44-700 - Genie HD DVR - not supplying power through HDMI output port

Status
Please reply by conversation.

CorporalCuddler

Original poster
Aug 28, 2013
U.S.
HR44-700 - Genie HD DVR - not supplying power through HDMI output port. When plugging the output into an HDMI switcher, it's clear the DVR gives off no power through the HDMI port (like most receivers do).

However, the C41-500 - Genie Mini - DOES give off power through its HDMI port.

Is my HR44 Genie bad, or is this how it is suppose to be???

The issue that this is creating is ...

I plug in a Directv receiver and PS3 into an automatic HDMI switcher, which then runs into the tv. So, if I'm watching tv, and then turn on the PS3, the switch is alerted and is changed automatically to the new power source - the PS3. When the PS3 is turned off, it automatically switches back to the Directv receiver. However, with the HR44, I have to manually go press a button to switch it back to the Directv receiver because the switch thinks there are no active devices (really annoying since I have all of my equipment in a closet). Also, the switch has to have a 5V power adapter if the HR44 is the only active device, or the switch will get no power. Thus my conclusion that the HR44 is giving off now power through the HDMI output.

All other receivers I've had with Directv give off the necessary 5V of power through the HDMI output port, including the Genie Mini. The HR44 is the only one that doesn't. Do I have a bad Genie, or is this normal?

This is probably an HDCP copy protection issue. When the HR44 powers up, it tests the HDMI link to see if the link passes the HDCP protocol validation. If it does not, the HR44 kills the HDMI output.
In any case you should always be using an HDMI switch with an external power supply.

When you say "kills the HDMI output", I assume you're saying that NOTHING will come out of the HDMI output, if so, that is not what is happening. The HDMI signal is output correctly, it just doesn't produce the necessary and usual 5 volts to power a switch. It will run through the switch if the switch has a power adapter (which I agree should always be used), but isn't recognized as an active device, so it has to be manually selected.

So, could this be an HDCP issue? I have no idea. Or, is this how the HR44 is designed, not to output power through HDMI?

While Im not 100% sure on this, I would assume the c41s have the same macrovision or whatever that the hr44 does, so the fact that the client powers the switcher is interesting. Without having a switcher myself I really have no way to test. And I can honestly say in the field that I have never run into a hdmi switcher when installing genies. (I know they are out there, just havnt encountered any people using them). What I can tell you is that with the 725 and 740 updates the 44 will automatically program the remote to the exact tv model when connected directly to a tv. What I have noticed is that if the genie is run through an av receiver even on that passes 1080p 3d, the remote needs to be setup conventionally like on the clients. Im not sure if this is even related or not, but my thought is that when there is a "device" sitting between the hr44 and tv via hdmi cable, the 44 does not communicate properly. I have also not yet installed a client behind a av receiver, so Im not sure what would happen there.

Not saying any of this is relevant, but just adding some thoughts to the conversation.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Pixelation/Freeze up on HR34 Recordings

FXX and FS2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)