HR44 or 54 Genie wireless to Genie mini client

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

f13dfx

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 8, 2005
Hello! Finally taking the plunge & upgrading to a Genie from our old HR23-700. Have no wiring to basement where we'd like to relocate the HR23. Will either of the above connect wirelessly using a Genie mini client. I've read that a video bridge might be needed as well. What addons do I need exactly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In choosing between a HR44 & a HR54,ask yourself two questions,first,do you have or will you buy a 4k TV? If the answer is no,go with the HR44. Second,does your local internet provider provide internet speeds that will allow you stream 4k,& if not,when will they upgrade to speeds that will do such? Perhaps they are waiting for a critical mass of customers with 4k TV's demanding such an upgrade before they can justify doing it,which means that you'll be waiting years before you can stream 4k with your Roku & Fire TV. Hopefully Directv will be broadcasting 4k before then. Until then,you'll have (potentially) a 4k TV & a HR54 NOT being used for 4k.
You cannot wirelessly hook up your HR23 to Directv. If you want to keep it,they'll have to wire where you want to place it. Only the C41 Wireless Client can receive signal wirelessly,& you still need wiring for the access point module to broadcast the signal to the wireless client,plus the access point module & the wireless client have to be within 50 feet of each other.

Last edited:
Have Directv install it - they will wire the new location (if possible and wiring plan you can agree with) or you can go with the wireless bridge (at the time of install) The installer will be able to tell you if it will work or not (as we) can not see your house or it's construction type from the internet.

As stated IF your interested in 4K get the HR54 - Or if you want to wait to see how the market plays out (remember 3D) then the HR44 will be just fine and if 4k should take off in the next couple of years by then the HR54 will be as fresh as the hr34 is today :)

Wow! Seems like a lot of addons & probably more charges on the monthly bill. Might as well get the service tech to do a hardwire.

Hello! Finally taking the plunge & upgrading to a Genie from our old HR23-700. Have no wiring to basement where we'd like to relocate the HR23. Will either of the above connect wirelessly using a Genie mini client. I've read that a video bridge might be needed as well. What addons do I need exactly?

Here's my take on your situation.

First, always make sure that at least one other receiver in your total DirecTV setup is not Genie-related. If the Genie goes out, so do all mini clients (wireless or wireline), but a separate receiver would at least still allow viewing.

Next, getting any Genie DVR will require a different wiring topology using a device called a SWiM (google that term for more info; to me, it's really quite fascinating). Most current receivers can be made compatible to this topology -- we've had very old and now a newer separate receivers, so we know this is true. I would recommend an 8-port device at the very least; we had a 16-port installed. Genie takes 5 such ports (accounts for any/all minis), and you figure how many additional ports required based on the number of tuners per any other receiver on the topology.

More specifically, a SWiM-based topology requires exactly one (and only one) coaxial cable run to each physical receiver. The only exception to this is the wireless Genie mini, which connects to the topology by way of the Wireless Video Bridge (WVB). Why only one? Because the SWiM multiplexes multiple logical channels over a single physical coaxial connection (hence, Genie has 5 logical tuners for one coaxial connection).

A wireless mini require the WVB, and DirecTV is likely to require their techs to install it. Regardless, for us, with over a year's usage, and having had the WVB separated from the mini from one end of the house to the other (2500+ square feet), we've had absolutely zero issues with connectivity. Flawless. Also, be aware that the WVB uses the coaxial network for the wireline portion of communication, *not* wifi.

Regarding 4K, while most other commenters are reasonably accurate in their opinions, I'll put my quasi-educated opinion in as well. I am a semi-professional volunteer camera director for a very large, 9-campus church in the metro Atlanta area. In fact, about 8-9 years ago we were one of the first high-def production facilities in the southeast, so the org has had a ton of experience in this area (including spinning off an independent film group). In speaking with our head engineer, understand that 4K technology is still in the maturing stage insofar as physical and technical standards are concerned (it's been difficult for many such orga to plan which way to invest because of the rate of standard adoption). It's going to get used, don't get me wrong, but it's still taking time.

Also remember that -- to my knowledge -- there is no broadcast affiliate who even has 1080p broadcast capability at this time; they're all still at 720p or 1080i. On the flip side, 4K is in cinematic filming usage (I happen to know a Phantom slo-mo certified cinematographer as well) but even getting movies across distributors for private viewing is few and far between, both due to distribution costs as well as present ISP delivery models (as other commenters mentioned).

My bottom line? Don't go too crazy over 4K. Heck, while the iPhone (as an example) can record in the format, Apple TV v4 doesn't display it, and Apple's making some big bets with that box. Aside from that, even Comcast or DirecTV have taken slow steps to get such content out for mass consumption. I'll wager we won't see the new format, en mass, for a few more years.

I hope this helps!

Thank you.....that was very informative!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts