HTC Hero ROM Replacement

JAG72

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Feb 16, 2006
Earth
Just wondering if anybody here that is running the Hero has replaced the stock rom with a new one from XDA? I just noticed that they have a Android 2.1 version out there to use.

CDMA or GSM? I dont think all the features of the CDMA 2.1 ROM are working yet? But I havent really looked in a few days.

I'm probably going to wait for Sprint to push the 2.1 ROM and let the guys at XDA get it rooted.

They might, but at the same time, the xda guys will still have their 2.1 ROM, so could always flash that if the root exploit is fixed.

I wouldn't count on that... kinda like many other devices that have been "opened", new firmwares close the hole of downgrading to firmwares that have "security flaws".

I could be wrong of course...but I know when I have a device that is capable of being locked down, I open it up and stick with the homebrew updates so it stays open no matter what.

I just figured since my Hero (rooted on original 1.5) could not take the OTA 1.5 MR from Sprint until I when back to stock RUU, it was safe. Figured that by being rooted in this fashion, it was impossible for Sprint to push over 'stock' 2.1, but we would still have the XDA-made 2.1 ROM? Are you saying that Sprint could have pushed the MR out onto the rooted Hero's? (am I making any sense?)

But that said, it looks like there is going to be another 2.1 release around the 1st, and they seem to have the htc sensors stable now, so just a few remaining issues.

Plus I was also assuming (and shouldt have) that JAG72's Hero was rooted.

Ahhh... I misunderstood. I thought you meant you were not going to root yours until Sprint pushes 2.1 to your device, then you were going to put the 2.1 rooted version on.

I'm pretty sure any after market ROM has the OTA updates disabled to prevent updates you do not want.

So what are the big benefits of rooting the Hero?

FYI Kirby, My Hero is brand new and I have not rooted it yet. I wanted to get some more information from people prior to taking the plunge.

I've tried various incarnations of the 2.1 ROM, but keep going back to the stock ROM.

There are some issues with the Market, and various other small things that annoy me.

I'm waiting for the real release.

I have been looking around and there seem to be a few that are stable at this point. I have just been scared to try it as I use the phone for work. I would hate to have a major issue that would prevent me from getting an important text message.

i would wait on this. i've read many many posts of users reporting issues. this is why i haven't done this to the moment yet.

I have the Hero and love it, but I'm not comfortable "rooting" my phone as I'm afraid to brick it.

On the other hand, I would love to have Sprint 2.1.

I just rooted my phone and I am now running the initial 2.1 release from Sprint with a few enhancements provided by xda. I am really liking 2.1 and some of the features. It is really cool being able to tether my phone with my computer via wifi right now.

For those worried about bricking their phone. The root is a really easy process and you can make backups of the phone prior to installing any roms.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts