HTC One First Impressions

The Insider

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 9, 2008
The Swamp
So I maybe a bit biased as I have really only owned/used HTC Android phones. I have tried others (Samsung S2, Motorala Atrix) but I just received my HTC One today and here is a small over view so far.

First Id like to say how disappointed I am at the box it came in. Yes I said the box. You maybe shocked to know but the last HTC phones I have bought had amazing boxes/cases. the HTC MyTouch 4g came with a very nice black carrying case/box the MyTouch Slide before that had an awesome metal box. This one came in a card board box like any other phone. I miss having a fancy box.

Loaded the phone up and man this thing is fast. (Why wouldnt it be it has a quad core cpu). The new version of Android and HTC Sense looks simply beautiful. Not sure if I am a big fan of the HTC Blinkfeed yet, maybe I will eventually but until then I simply switched to a different homescreen until I can get used to it. What I do like though speaking of home screens is you have the ability to add more "home screens" or "slides" as the phone calls it. Before you were limited to either 3-6-8 whatever depending on the phone etc. Maybe this was a newer android feature I dont know coming from the mytouch 4g I am a very major releases behind, but I certainly like that feature. No need to load a different loader just to have more screens.

The screen is simply dazzling. I mean it looks great. Everything you'd expect from a phone of this caliber. I like the fact it is a lot bigger than the screen I am used to but the phone is less bulky. But the phone has a very solid feel (it is made of metal after all) It feels sturdy and hard to break (I will not be trying to break it to see how tough it is).

The Camera looks like it takes really great pictures and has some really awesome features. I love the fact it takes pictures as fast as I can hit the button. There is 0 delay and you can take a dozen pictures in as many seconds. Just click click click click and it takes the picture. It also has a feature where it will do a short video and you can take pictures out of that. Even have it almost like a gif. (search HTC One Zoe Features) Have not put the pictures on the PC or anything to really look at the quality but on the screen they look absolutely stunning.

The music. This phone has 2 sets of speakers on the front of the phone. One at top one at bottom. The sound is absolutely amazing. No need to even buy external speakers with this thing as it is very loud and very good quality. It also came with some nice headphones (not those cheap white ones you typically get).

So over all just out of the box and only thing I have really done was just play with it for about an hour so far I am in love. Which I am not surprised by as my preconceived notions were that this HTC phone would be great.

My only concerns thus far and they were before I even bought the phone was Removal Storage, Removalable Battery. Those reasons I was very much leaning toward going for the S4, but I just cant get away from the HTC Sense UI. But I got the 32GB Model (And my previous phone only had a 16GB SD card in it) and I never ran out of space on that phone so 32gb should do ok with me. Now if only this battery holds up..

Another part of this new venture which maybe for another thread but I switched from T-Mobile (whom I had for many many years since the G1 release days) to AT&T. Sorry Magenta but you just couldnt upgrade your network fast enough to keep me around. Maybe in a few years you might. But I switched to get the LTE, and bigger coverage area. LTE on ATT in Orlando Area is getting great reviews everywhere I checked so we will see how it works. The battle was between ATT and Verizon (I get 18% discount on both through work). I chose ATT because my work provides me with a Verizon Mifi HotSpot which works great. The LTE on Verizon is fast and dam near everywhere I have gone (and I work in the field so travel around town a lot). I decided ATT because this way I will have the Mifi to use or ATT. I mean if ATT or Verizon both do not have coverage in an area why on earth would I be there in the first place..

So we shall see how that all works out with ATT. I will run some speed tests on the LTE around town and let you know how it does. (of course I expect it to eventually slow down as more users get LTE phones)

First speedtest result from ATT LTE at my house here

14.8mbs down 4.6mbps up

Not to shabby only have 2 out of 5 possible signal bars inside my house.

Have to say am very impressed with ATT LTE speeds thus far. I have not seen a test under 10mbit and the highest so far was 28mbit down.

Faster than most peoples home internet.

Yeah I really like how HTC designs their devices and the HTC One has been a great device for me so far. :)

Two things I noticed I miss today. One of which I can fix with a download the other I will just have to adjust. The previous HTC devicesI have owned all had a "track pad" which was great if I made a mistake in typing or needed to just scroll around a page. This phone does not have one and I find myself constantly out of habit going down rubbing the area the track pad should be and then a small tear runs down my face as I realize I do not have one. So that will take some getting used to, Its also the first phone I have had with no hard menu buttons but rather all touch based, so that is an adjust.

The other item missing is Swype. While HTC Sense has its own variant of "slide to type" and it works good, it does not have features that swype does like displaying a list of words or when you click on a word it will bring up a list of words you can change it to. So I will be downloading Swype to install as the HTC version is just a tad lacking.

Did you ever check the Swype settings? I never use it so was just wondering I just type things out maybe I should give it a try. Hmm I found Swype on my device and I know I never loaded it so it must have came pre-loaded on the One but it must be turned off or something by default. Mine was listed under Language & Keyboard.

Last edited:
Have to say am very impressed with ATT LTE speeds thus far. I have not seen a test under 10mbit and the highest so far was 28mbit down.

Faster than most peoples home internet.

I've gotten as high as 40 d/l.

Did you ever check the Swype settings? I never use it so was just wondering I just type things out maybe I should give it a try. Hmm I found Swype on my device and I know I never loaded it so it must have came pre-loaded on the One but it must be turned off or something by default. Mine was listed under Language & Keyboard.

It has a "trace to type" on it but not "swype" itself. I have since installed it and it works great. Much better than the default "trace to type" that came on it.

Might try swiftkey, which I found superior to swype.

Never tried swift key, have used Swype since the first mytouch came with it preloaded. I never have any issues with it and it seems to learn my "Swiping" very well after a good bit of usage it almost can type for me.

Still missing my track pad but having Swype again has made me happy. The phone does have a wierd feel in the hand. Being that it is very long compared to my other phone but it does not appear to be much wider. So you really have to stretch your thumb to pull down the notification menu. Im sure I will get used to it and when my case gets here it will at least feel more bulky which I am used to ;)

Insider,
Be careful with your HTC One ...

I was just talking with some friends that got them and neither of them were very happy, the phone was fine, but both complained about them breaking, not sure why if they were dropped or just what, but they have small children, so no telling what may have happened, but they were broken and apparently didn't take much to do.

I'm still tossing around the idea of the S4 and the S4 Active all though I have always been impressed with the HTC higher end products.

Insider,
Be careful with your HTC One ...

I was just talking with some friends that got them and neither of them were very happy, the phone was fine, but both complained about them breaking, not sure why if they were dropped or just what, but they have small children, so no telling what may have happened, but they were broken and apparently didn't take much to do.

I'm still tossing around the idea of the S4 and the S4 Active all though I have always been impressed with the HTC higher end products.

The phone being all metal would make me think it was more sturdy, but The fact it is all metal and the way it is so smooth make it very slippery. I can certainly see it falling out of your hand easy if you do not have a good grip. I did also buy a Diztronic case for it so hopefully that will help protect it. It certainly added a little bulk to the phone and eliminated the slipperyness of it. Defintely like the feel of it better with this case than without.

Last edited:
I got mine from Costco. It came with a silicone slip on cover. It's hardly thicker but feels good in my hand. Hmm, that sounds wrong! :)

How is the remote control function? It is one feature I'm very interested in.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

It's not as ergonomic as a regular remote, but it works just fine for me.

have not tried it yet. I have a smart tv and the remote looks more like a Wii Remote and controls the mouse pointer on screen etc so I usually just use that remote. But I will try it and see how it does.

Yeah I need to email HTC they respond back in the same day usually tell them they need to update the channel list some for Dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)