HTLHD or SIRT 360?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

obeythelaw

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jun 26, 2004
New Jersey
Which HD Receiver is the better one? I'm looking only for the one that provides the best HD and standard picture quality. I'm not using an OTA so I don't care how the receiver handles OTA. So is the Hughes HTLHD better than the Samsung SIRT360?
Thanks

I have three HTL-HD's now, and they all work very well. PQ is great, guide is pretty fast, love the HDI video out and the optical audio, provides a good experiance.

I like the surf feature on the HTL HD.

HTL-HD ... no question about it! Faster guide and Menus, better built box overall, there is a newer one but I am keeping what I have.

Thanks for the replies. I got the HTL and it works great. HD is phenomenal. However, there are audio dropouts and the guide doesn't stay in "Custom" when you switch from guide to program. I know that the newest firmware (version 2.0, I believe) fixes it. When can I expect to get this firmware? Right now it says 1.07.

okay, I got a ts360, cause I didnt read this one, tell me those who have had it, does the PQ really suffer that much? or is it just as nice you guys are just going for a couple features----I have games on mine--YES!!!!! (what a waste of time for a hd receiever to have games)

stuart628 said:
okay, I got a ts360, cause I didnt read this one, tell me those who have had it, does the PQ really suffer that much? or is it just as nice you guys are just going for a couple features----I have games on mine--YES!!!!! (what a waste of time for a hd receiever to have games)

I have the Ts360 and the PQ is great... Much better than Cable plus I am able to use the my DVI port and the PQ is stunning. I am happy with this unit but I have only had it for a few days.

Crappy graphics, Good picture, No outputs will pass captions except Satellite mode,
Directv forced this outfit on me or I wouldn't have it. Samsung is a bunch of dung in my opinion.

Lem52

stuart628 said:
I do not have this one, me neighbor does. I have not noticed any PQ issues I just think his guide is a lot slower than mine. I would say you are fine.

Slacker,
Need a clarification... you say your neighbor's TS360 has a guide that is slower than your HTL-HD? How does the PQ compare?

I too was faced with the decision of a HD-HTL or a Sammy 360. I struggled for days with the choice. I read all of the info on www.avsforum.com about both units. both units had their fans and both units had their faults. I only was expecting to use my unit for the NFL ticket, since I have E* for my regular programing. I would have purchased the New RCA unit, but I did not want to pay $370 plus shipping for a unit that I would only use during football season.

Anyway, after all the research I did, I chose the Sammy b/c of the extra inputs on the back, the fact that I could change formats from the remote, (have to do this on the box itself for the HD-HTL), Since I use a receiver, I did not want to deal with the constant audio drop out that have become prevelant with the HTL.

I have had the unit for 2 weeks. The PQ for the HD channels is very good, but on my 55" Mitsu, the SD picture looks worst than my E* 508 or 811. In fact, when placed in PIP with my 811, the HD PQ is softer on the 360. The colors are not as rich and deep as they are on my 811. (my Mitsu is ISF Calibrated for the best PQ available out of the set) I used all 3 type os inputs, DVI, Component, and S-video. DVI is definitely the best of the 3. The sammy does not allow you to output both DVI and component at the same time. You need to select your input to either component or RGB/DVI.

I do like the various resolutions it give you, 1080i, 1080i/720p/480P, 480i, Native 1, and Native 2- Selecting one of these resolutions tells your receiver which resolution level you want all the time. For instance, if you select 1080i, your receiver will upconvert anything that is not in 1080i, if you select one of the native modes, for instance Native 2, the receiver will play 1080i, upconvert 720p to 1080i and pass 480i or p as 480p. (I find this to be the best one since my tv cannot accept 720p signals) 480i can only be used with an S-Video cable

As for the guide speed, I find the scrolling speed to be fine, what I do find slow is the channel changing. You enter your channel and it takes several seconds to change. Furthermore, you can not enter an off air channel #, for instance 005.1 (my local NBC)

Aside of that, I do not like the way the sammy handles aspect ratios. if you have a 16:9 tv and the station is playing a show in 4:3, your choices are 16:9 full (stretched), 16:9 Zoom 1 (very bad PQ), 16:9 zoom 2 (better than zoom 1), 16:9 Panaramic, (haven't played with it much) and the one which puts the gray or black boxes up around a 4:3 picture. It could be the way these ratios work that truely makes the SD picture very grainy in my opinion.

Other than that, I have not had any problems with the sammy 360, but I really wish I had some other units I could test and compare with it right next to each other.

So bottom line, if you are looking for strictly HD viewing, the sammy is fine, but if you are going to be using it for SD on a big screen CRT, may not be the best option.

pychiowa said:
Slacker,
Need a clarification... you say your neighbor's TS360 has a guide that is slower than your HTL-HD? How does the PQ compare?
PQ is the same. We actually sawpped receiver to try. My sammy looks better than his Mitsu :D

His guide is just less responsive then the HTL-HD ... not much not like the Hughes E86 or anything .. just a little slower.

Rookie,

Interesting that you prefer using the 811 for your main HD rcvr. I'm still mulling over D* over E*. If you had to choose one today from scratch, would you still go with the 811 over the D* options?

pychiowa said:
Rookie,

Interesting that you prefer using the 811 for your main HD rcvr. I'm still mulling over D* over E*. If you had to choose one today from scratch, would you still go with the 811 over the D* options?

Yes

I would still go with the 811 over the D* options. The 811 has had it's struggles, but the updates keep coming not like D*. They do not do updates on a regular basis. The 811 has a better guide, signal meter for OTA channels right there when you tune to the channel, you'll see the channel and the signal strength. The 811 has come a long way. And like I said, the PQ is better on the 811, at least that is my opinion With my 811 I can transmit over component and DVI at the same time without having to select one or the other.

Now the 811 does have some short comings, for instance you have to go into the setup menu to to change the resolutions, and it does not offer the various choices that D* do, the 811 only offers 1080i, 720p or 480p/i

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts