HTPC / Personal Computer combo....

b.rad

Original poster
May 1, 2014
United States
Hello,

So I have decided, I want to make my own HTPC - DVR. But I would like to use my beast of computer to do it with. I have a few question about this. I use this computer more as a server like type services and remote into it while I am traveling and at times I do use it as a personal computer. A few questions now...

1. Is there anyway to run a HTPC/DVR at the same time as I am using it as a personal computer / server / remote into it. (of course I would need two video cards I understand.. one for my monitor and one for my TV...)

2. What is the best HTPC - DVR software to use. (I do have a Xbox 360 that I was thinking about having it work with it. so I know that Microsoft has a media extender but does other software allow the capabilities in one way or another to us my 360?) I also want to be able to use a guide and watch live tv through it onto my TV.

3. What is the cable card that will allow me to record up to four programs at one time and is the best one for my use.

All help please! I want to start this project as soon as I can. Today is honestly my birthday and I want to make this a birthday gift to myself.. Thank you so much in advance.

1. DVR runs in the background. No need for any video cards. Use an extender for TV. Is your PC really right next to your TV? It must be hard to use that way. Most video cards can drive at least 2 monitors anyway. But multi-monitor and WMC doesn't work very smoothly, so I wouldn't recommend it.

2. WMC. Xbox 360 is a media extender. Looks exactly like WMC on your PC.

3. Ceton InfiniTV 4

I've been running WMC on one PC for TV on 5 other TVs for a couple of years now using the Ceton above, 4 Echoes and one Xbox (used to have 5 Xboxes). Works fine. Do the concurrent user registry hack so you don't disturb others when using RDP.

Last edited:
1. Nice, it depends, it can be right next to it if I want it to be. I use wireless keyboard and mouse and my monitor cord is really long. So if need so, it can be. So to clearify, can I use my PC for my HTPC and use it for personal computer, server like (just to save and retrieve files from) and use my Logmein all at once and still be able to record four programs at once or will that be too much?

2. I have used WMC before and connected it with my PC...but only to watch movies that I have downloaded or music... never to use as a DVR. Does WMC download a TV guide as well?

3. Thank you for the Card recommendation... I am going to look into that today. :)

What do you mean by concurrent user registry hack? I know about the registry and I know how to get around with it but I am not familiar with the hack your are speaking of....

Thank you for all your help!!

1. Nice, it depends, it can be right next to it if I want it to be. I use wireless keyboard and mouse and my monitor cord is really long. So if need so, it can be. So to clearify, can I use my PC for my HTPC and use it for personal computer, server like (just to save and retrieve files from) and use my Logmein all at once and still be able to record four programs at once or will that be too much?
Not a problem at all. You won't even notice anything is going on. Recording requires practically no CPU load. If you use Logmein, I guess you don't need RDP below.

What do you mean by concurrent user registry hack? I know about the registry and I know how to get around with it but I am not familiar with the hack your are speaking of....
Win 7 only allows one RDP session at a time by default. This gives you multiple RDP sessions that don't interact with the current session. If you download the patcher, you don't even have to go into the registry.

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/enable-remote-desktop-connection-in-windows-7-home-premium/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)