Huge audio swings on Joey

Ganthet

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 29, 2006
On one of my 2 Joeys I m seeing huge swings in audio. When I turn it on a channel (SD or HD) might be so quiet I have to turn the volume up to 75% to hear it. Then I do something like go into the menu or turn it off an back on and suddenly the volume has to be turned down to 10%.

I've turned off the volume leveling on the Joey and turned off any audio enhancements on the TV. It was still happening. I just moved the Joey to a different HDMI port. We'll see how that goes.

I am not seeing this on the Hopper or other Joey. If the issue returns next step is to swap Joeys and see if the issue follows the Joey.

I'm more than willing to accept this is the TV. It's audio never was the greatest.

Ganthet said:
On one of my 2 Joeys I m seeing huge swings in audio. When I turn it on a channel (SD or HD) might be so quiet I have to turn the volume up to 75% to hear it. Then I do something like go into the menu or turn it off an back on and suddenly the volume has to be turned down to 10%.

I've turned off the volume leveling on the Joey and turned off any audio enhancements on the TV. It was still happening. I just moved the Joey to a different HDMI port. We'll see how that goes.

I am not seeing this on the Hopper or other Joey. If the issue returns next step is to swap Joeys and see if the issue follows the Joey.

I'm more than willing to accept this is the TV. It's audio never was the greatest.

See if it does this on RCA the get back to me.

Sent from my fingers.

I guess it could be cabling, but I would think more than audio would be affected. Can you exchange Joeys and see what happens?

I've noticed it myself on every TV that is connected with HDMI. HD channels are much louder than the SD ones. Not a big deal to me since 90% of what I watch is HD.

I've noticed it myself on every TV that is connected with HDMI. HD channels are much louder than the SD ones. Not a big deal to me since 90% of what I watch is HD.

I've noticed the same thing. Both of my hoppers that are connected to audio receivers through HDMI keep pretty level sound. I have two joeys hooked to SD tvs through RCA and they seem pretty level as well.

I have one Joey connected by HDMI directly to a HDTV and the volume swings on that tv are pretty extreme from channel to channel. I have also noticed that it is usually the HD channels that seem way louder.

Same here, when the 622s came out, they were the same way, took months to get fixed.

SD is lower on my 612's too than the HD channels. This is the reason.

It used to be SD was louder, quite a lot louder than HD/DD. A law was passed about loud commercials. The problem was you had your volume set for HD, but commercials were/are often in SD sound. So the commercial was even louder than commercials get normally. This is a way to curb that, making SD lower volume than HD. This is the way it is with Charter Cable at work also.

http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/consumerawareness/a/When-And-How-The-Calm-Act-Will-Be-Enforced.htm

Huge Audio Swings? Wasn't that the name of the band with the guitar player from The Clash?

I wonder if a thread called "Big Audio Dynamite on Joey" would've gotten more views. :D

So far after adjusting the TV audio setting I have had neither Huge Audio Swings nor Big Audio Dynamite. Just the slight difference between HD and SD channels others are reporting.

In the audio settings, there's a "Volume Leveling" or something like that control that is supposed to keep commercials from getting louder than programming. But it never seems to make any difference to me. And SD channels seem to be louder for me than HD ones, but this isn't specific to the Joey - It's always been that way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)