huge problem, need help

docgw

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2007
so i find out i get fox hd out of madison but i need a wing dish or whatever. contact dish and get it set up- soonest is 2 weeks. get home yesterday and no locals on my tv. call dish- they're not sure what's going on, after 20 minutes the guy "figures it out", another 20 minutes and "almost there". really long and frustrating story short- to add the dish they need to disconnect my locals to get some sort of order. so, anyway i do it, i have to have my locals disconnected for a minimum of 2 weeks- with football and someother shows this isn't happening. so my only option is direct tv or cable- both of which offer all the locals in hd. and cable offers 2 different abc and cbs locals in hd. i would like to stay with dish but this is absolute lunacy.

Is a OTA an option?

Might also be time for a ceo [at] echostar [dot] com email. See if they can get your regular locals turned on while you wait for 61.5 locals

I had the same thing happen last April when the Milwaukee HDs were added. A (polite) complaint sent to ceo at dishnetwork dot com brought a response within hours apologizing for the misinformation from customer service. Appearently, an immediate deauthorization of locals is part of the process but should be followed by an immediate reauthorization so you should not lose locals until the antenna install. A phone call to the extension provided in the response actually resulted in a service call to install the wing antenna the next day.

Last edited:
re: ota's, i've tried the websites to determine an appropriate antenna and i get an icon laughing his ass off. if there was some sort of satellite?- but i digress. i will try that email. thanks

re: ota's, i've tried the websites to determine an appropriate antenna and i get an icon laughing his ass off. if there was some sort of satellite?- but i digress. i will try that email. thanks

If you are anywhere near the city, I'd try a cheapo indoor antenna from the hardware store. If it doesn't work, you could probably return it. Heck, with some searching, you can get some instructions on how to make your own antenna out of a few metal hangers, plywood, some screws, and a super cheap part you can get at Radio Shack.

short of building or buying at least a 30 foot tower there is NO WAY i can get ota's in my area.

Perhaps you could try the channel master 4228 (best outdoor OAT antenna available IMHO). I have that on a retractable pole. I usually keep the height at 15 feet, although it goes up to 30+. I can pull in stations 75 miles a way with no problem. I have actually on certain days (depends on the weather, time of day, ect) pulled in a station out of New Orleans with it (185 driving miles from my house!)

Granted not everyone has the same conditions for OTA. I have very few trees blocking my line of site in any direction, and the land is fairly flat, but might be worth a try.

thanks for all the suggestions, i emailed the ceo. i am in a valley open to the west but the locals are east-80 miles, north 60 miles and south. i spoke with a guy about antennas and really looking at a lot of money.

You can get the Channel Master 4228 for around $50 or so from Solid Signal.

I think it would do well with the distances you say you have

Sherman Texas - Ada Oklahoma Eastern Arc Info

Channel 501 1080P

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)