Hughes DW7000 change sat help?

sunblock90

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
The new G16 sat only gives me strength of 54 now in my area. I want to switch to IA8 or another reliable hughes sat for Florida area. Which sat is best? what transponder do I want for the IA8 or other sat to find it?

Thank you.

Switching may not get you a better signal. What transponder are you on? What is your cross-poll? How many transmissions are you failing? What is your rate code?

On IA6 the satellite we are using now transponder 1046 only gives around 50 here but 1216.5 gives 85, so the signal is not really that important.

192.168.0.1 then click transmission info for transmissions passing and failing, and system info to check transponder.

192.168.0.1/advanced/advanced.html then half way down the middle part of the page you will see your rate code, probably biginning in 256 the 1/2, 2/3, or 4/5
the on the left side of the page you will see setup and under this you can go to the antenna pointing and run a cross-poll test.

I have a question in the same vein. Sunblock 90 is asking for info about better satellites in his area., BUT .... I was under the impression that once you are commsioned onto a satellite, it is next to impossible, short of an act of Congress to get Hughes to switch birds for you.
Comments ??

I have been down for 2 months now. Installers are saying BIG BIG Problem with G16 compared to G4R. Help line gets you knowhere. Installer says I have to upgrade to a bigger dish. Getting ready to call customer loyalty line to negotiate cancelation or upgrade. DSL is in my area now, but not reliable yet. Satellite still better.

sunblock90 said:
I have been down for 2 months now. Installers are saying BIG BIG Problem with G16 compared to G4R. Help line gets you knowhere. Installer says I have to upgrade to a bigger dish. Getting ready to call customer loyalty line to negotiate cancelation or upgrade. DSL is in my area now, but not reliable yet. Satellite still better.

That installer does not know what he is talking about. I have experienced no problems with G16. I even commissioned a couple earlier this week on G16.

The person who told you you need a bigger dish is just trying to sell you something. Its sad what some people will do to make money.

I noticed you did not try to answer any of my questions.

If you tell Hughes your neighbor has built a house in your current line of sight, they will allow you to move to another bird. (I have actually had this happen). But I suppose being down south the look angle is much higher so get creative i.e. trees have gotten too tall?

How did you do this..... you say call Hughes ? Did you personally call Hughes, or did you have to have an installer call Hughes.
What is physically involved to change the bird ........ i.e. re-aligning the dish, changing the modem settings, something Hughes does from their office via satellite. Explain in detail how this is done and whether you were able to do it yourself. Also who/what dept did you contact at Hughes

I am a cert installer. The first thing I do is call Hughes and tell them I have a LOS issue and would like to move to sat __. They will let you know if you can use that one or not. If not they will let you know which ones are available. Then point dish and crosspoll. Call Hughes back and ask for the change ( they will want your sig and Xpol #s). Wait for 30 min (if your lucky, sometimes longer), rerun registration and your up. You will need a certified installer. Hope that helps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)