Hughes GEN4 VPN

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bhardin

Original poster
Nov 3, 2012
United States
I upgraded to Hughes GEN4 on 10/10/2012 and lost the ability to connect to VPN. BIG issue because I work from home. Have been on the phone almost daily with Hughes - who called today and told me they are unable to find an issue and it must be my problem. I have had an IT guy here (the best I've known in 40 years working in IT) who has checked everything known to man and he says that it is a Hughes issue.

The internet works but VPN does not. Error 619.

From what I understand, error 619 says that the port 1723 or GRE 47 is blocked.

I have several computers here (Xp, W732bit, W764bit.. AND we have used an macbook) - and none can connect to VPN over Hughes - all with the same error. If I take my laptop elsewhere (to my office 10 miles away where I have comcast) - no issue.

If I use the Verizon mifi - no issue.

The issue is ONLY with the new GEN4 on Hughes.

Suggestions? How do I get Hughes to fix this problem (Which I firmly believe IS a Hughes problem)

For 14+ years, I have had no issue using VPN over Hughes.

You didn't specify which VPN software, so I'll have to be generic here. First, my search engine brought back literally thousands of hits on those exact errors - from VPN users on virtually every type of internet connection. So this definitely isn't a Hughes-only issue. First thing I'd do is take the router out of the equation, and attempt the VPN connection with each computer directly through the new modem. Alternatively, check the user options to see if you can reconfigure the VPN application to use an alternate port.

//greg//

Sorry - forgot that I posted this here - and did not get a response from the forum about it. Anyway - we have already done that - connected the PC (all 4 of them) direct to the modem using a network cable. Makes no difference; error 619. The issue is ONLY with the Gen4/Hughes; it works elsewhere and it works with alternate ISP (verizon). It also previously worked - for 14 years - on my old Hughes 7000 modem. Hughes says they don't know .. it works for other people and all they had to do is hook it up. They put in a ticket to have the installer come out again and check things - all they want to do is call me on the phone and argue about it. Hughes points the finger at them and they point it at Hughes.

vpn issues

I too tried Hughes Net several years ago to connect to my work vpn, and it never would. The IT guy also came out and tried to get it to work, and it did not. I can use wireless cell service and connect to it just fine with great speed. I have since been told satellite won't work due to a 2 second delay it has. The Hughes Net site even admits satellite is not great with vpn, and you will have reduced speed with it. That is if you can even connect. But this has just been my experience.

Naw. This Gen4 has increased throughput by a factor of 10 since you "tried Hughes Net several years ago to connect to my work vpn". On average, they're transitioning from an old 1500/200 (Kb/s) network to a 15/2 (Mb/s) network. Besides, I don't feel the OP's issue is speed-related. Other Gen4 customers are quite pleased that they finally have a VPN connection they can use, so in this case I think it's an issue with his VPN software settings.

//greg//

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)