Status
Please reply by conversation.

gluck75

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
Manhattan
Long time reader, first time poster...

I currently have a Hughes HD Receiver(HIRD-E8) attached to a Hitachi 57 inch projection. I also have a Samsung Direct-Tivo hooked up to the same set. I have a couple of questions:

1) The picture is "as expected" for the HDTV stations. However, when using the HD receiver for a standard definition broadcast(like last nights Football game) the picture is awful. When I switch to the Samsung, the picture is great...on the same station. How can I fix this? Would the hughes Receiver allow me to use my component inputs for HD and composite, coax or S-Video for when I want to watch standard boradcasts? Can both outputs be active at the same time so I only need to switch the input on my TV? Will this even help?

2) The HD picture is "good" for HD, not "great". Now, I understand that I have an older type receiver(doesnt even have DVI, I have to use component), does this make a difference? I used to have digital cable and that HD picture looked WAY better than direct tv's. (However standard stations on D* look far better than digital cable). Is this exepted with D* or should I upgrade receivers?

Thanks in advance.

Matt

I have the HTL-HD and it looks awesome. I use DVI for both HD and SD.

Your best bet is to use these inputs in the following order

DVI (you do not have it) - Component - S VIdeo - Composite - Coax

Component would be your next best in line. Try using S video or the other formats and see how they look.

Try a bunch of different things and see which is the best for you.

I had 3 of these (E86) and did not like any of them. I had 3 because the units all failed on me, perhaps you have already taken note of the amount of heat this unit generates. Do not know about the outputs, I would just try 2 and see what you get. Like ckudrna I also have the Hughes HTL-HD now and this is an amazing piece of hardware and I love it!

what are the differences between the old hughes and the new hughes? What would it ocst me to upgrade?

gluck75 said:
what are the differences between the old hughes and the new hughes? What would it ocst me to upgrade?
The new Hughes HTL-HD is a receiver designed and made by LG. It has superior picture quality and the menus are 1,000 times faster, as is the guide. Vastly improved OTA scanning and locking. the real kicker is plain and simple picture quality. Until you get one you will have no idea how much red you have been seeing with the E8 series.

Cost is variable but they seem to be running about 275. If you eBay your old receiver you should be able to get 100 bucks out of it.

if I ebay it...will I need to Keep the card?

Also...I have the equiptment plan for 7 bucks a months. If this one "breaks" and they need to replace it....would they send a new model?

LOL new model good luck! every E86 they sent me was in worse cosmetic repair than the next, you do not need to keep the card but you do need to deactivate it. I think that D* just changed their policy on activating used cards but I am not sure ... you will get a card with a new HTL-HD too. No to cut D*'s profits but the equipment plan is a waste, the 3 receivers I got were all MFG Warranty :) These plans are mostly profit for them ... but that is your choice, if you feel a good value from this keep it!

I had a Hughes HTL-HD and it didn't last 2 months. Lockups, freezeups or whatever. If you get this one and it fails, don't look for Directv to replace it with the same reciever. They switched on me and sent a Samsung, but I am sort of pissed off because I bought the Hughes-htl-hd for certain features on it. They shouldn't force feed the public. After all, it was my money that bought that reciever. If I had wanted a different one, I would have bought it.

Lem52

Status
Please reply by conversation.