hughes net law suite

And your point is? I fail to see how this particular class action suit is any different than the several hundred that have been brought to bear in the last dozen years. Of those, one was awarded to plaintiffs. And even then there was no financial remuneration, the court merely directed Hughes to change some wording in the subscriber agreement. Shortly after that, they changed the name of the service from DirecPC to Direcway (both of which preceded the current HughesNet).

Big whoop.

//greg//

Last edited:
And your point is? I fail to see how this particular class action suit is any different than the several hundred that have been brought to bear in the last dozen years. Of those, one was awarded to plaintiffs. The change awarded by the court was that Hughes had to change the wording in the subscriber agreement.

Big whoop.

//greg//

Greg, I wasn't trying to make a point, Hughes is what it is and it's my only option and I'm not complaining. Just thought I would post this artical.

Perhaps a more meaningful point you could make: Do you agree with the content/premise of the article? Are you experiencing the same problems that apparently plague many subs?

I have considered HughesNet at various times, in comparison to WB. I too am rural with no cable or FIOS option, and being so far out on my copper branch even DSL would be marginal. I am not yet convinced either sat. BB service would be viable for the cost, so thus far I have stuck with a crappy dial-up service useful for only basic e-mailing.

Any insight others provide based on actual experience is of value to me...

TIA and BRgds...

I have had problems at times, the big one I had was when it was 1st installed. Now that I know more about these systems I find them to be OK. I have had the 9000 on Spaceway and I made Hughes take it back and re-install the 7000S.

The problem with the Spaceway for me was (and Hughes finally confirmed) there was a problem with the cell that I was on. I am outside of Reno, Nevada. I am aware of many people that aren't having problems with this system in other parts of the country. I have a good conection with a person at Executive Customer Care, so when I do have a problem I email Him and don't have to go through India.

If this was your only choice I would pick Hughes over WildBlue, my neighbor had WB and it was really bad.

Aws far as the law suit goes, yes bad advertisement and customer support, but as Greg said this is not the 1st go around for Hughes and is probably a waist of time.

Tks for the info. I guess I need to talk to a current sat. BB customer in my region to see what level of reliability and throughput they're experiencing. I realize that any service including (especially?) sat. can have periods of diminished service or outtage. But when that becomes the norm rather than an exception I would be looking for alternatives. Since there is a high up-front investment, I'm still reluctant to jump in until I get some candid reports from folks in the same situation as me who can convince me that a particular sat. service is viable and worth the rather high expense. (To this point all my conversations have been with installers who of course have a vested interest in providing a positive opinion.)