Hughes Satelliet Internet

OTD

Original poster
Nov 5, 2006
I have been checking so I can go to high speed and satelliet is the only way I can get it. I see that Hughes is now offering 1000 kpbs, for 59.98. and 299. for the equipment. after rebate. Question? does anyone know how good it is, and if this is the total price? Plus how do you find a installer. That is for Indiana. One other thing can you run a network with the second computer abourt 50-60 feet in another house? thanks

WARNING: you will never get 1000 kbps d/l, in fact, on the aggregate it will be much less, typically peaks at half the published bandwidth, AND averages at a quarter.

Are you sure that satellite is the only option, if so, it is too an expensive option for what you get. Take it from me, I got screwed.

As for customer service, when you complain that your broadband ends up being slower than dialup, their response is that HughesNet does not guarantee speeds crap. Even if you get a problem elevated to a level 3, it doesn't get resolved.

WARNING: you will never get 1000 kbps d/l, in fact, on the aggregate it will be much less, typically peaks at half the published bandwidth, AND averages at a quarter.

Are you sure that satellite is the only option, if so, it is too an expensive option for what you get. Take it from me, I got screwed.

As for customer service, when you complain that your broadband ends up being slower than dialup, their response is that HughesNet does not guarantee speeds crap. Even if you get a problem elevated to a level 3, it doesn't get resolved.

sorry for your loss. but I havent seen a 9000, properly installed, pull less than 800 down. i have speed tested over 300 different idu/odu's in 3 different states, none were under 800.

now on the 7000, ku network........which it sounds like you were dealing with......id believe you may have had some problems.

It is a new lightly loaded bird. the same crap happens on all the consumer level service plans. Great at the start when they open up a new transponder or satellite and then service starts to tank as the transponder or bird starts to load up. I tell customers that on consumer level service current performance is no guarantee of future performance........

Can you tell me how to find out who installs the hughes 9000 in the state Of Indiana? thanks

Where in Indiana?

I have the ProPlus plan, and routinely get 1600 down/180+ up. It can slow to half that during peak hours, so I usually try to avoid using the net during peak usage hours. But it is shared bandwidth. So as more HughesNet customers simultaneously access your assigned gateway, the slower everybody's speed gets.

It's the nature of satellite internet, and - for the price - cannot be avoided. Dedicated satellite access (no sharing) can cost into the thousands per month. So if dialup is you ONLY option, satellite is a step up. If DSL/cable/WIFI/etc is available, you'd be foolish to waste time and money on satellite

//greg//

Hughes

I want to thank each of you for your help. I don't know much if anything about these electronic junk LOL once again thanks

Could you tell me what city they are in. Hughes does not list their dealer/installers. thanks for the info.

It is a new lightly loaded bird. the same crap happens on all the consumer level service plans. Great at the start when they open up a new transponder or satellite and then service starts to tank as the transponder or bird starts to load up. I tell customers that on consumer level service current performance is no guarantee of future performance........

oh no crap, ive seen that happen with darn near every ku bird we have. HOWEVER, AS WE HAVE BEEN TOLD......the ka WILL NOT have the "bogging down" issues as previous ku. not to mention that just spaceway 3, is supposed to handle 1.2 million-ish users at capacity, whereas with all 12 ku satellites, there are 800,000+/- (i think?) users. so in theory based on current customer basis, we should even come close to a situation that we could compare, if that makes sense.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts