Hughesnet Customer email setup

HN e-mail along with S* e-mail severs are a constant source of "issues" I tell my customers to stay away from them and get a G-mail account.

On Starband I just set up the primary because it is required and then just set it to forward to the customer "real" e-mail account.

Has anyone had any problems lately with the setup of Hughesnet email accounts for customers?

Are you trying to set the account up right after you commission? Sometimes it takes a couple of hours for the system to recognize their info.

One thing I have not heard here is no one complaining about the new SVT. Do you do a good number of Hughes installs? If so are you using the SVT. If so how has your experience with it so far?

ive been hearing of a few issues lately. ive been able to setup 1 account when cx has asked. but ive had a few other techs mention setting up more than 1 has been presenting a problem. what issue are you experiencing specifically?

Are you trying to set the account up right after you commission? Sometimes it takes a couple of hours for the system to recognize their info.

One thing I have not heard here is no one complaining about the new SVT. Do you do a good number of Hughes installs? If so are you using the SVT. If so how has your experience with it so far?

I usually do try to set it up right after commissioning, and that is when I have the problems. Once in a while I try again in the eve from the office and sometimes it works/sometimes it doesnt

I do an average of 3-4 installs per week right now (hopefully it will pick up soon). I havnt really had any problems with the svt. Sometimes it takes a couple of tries because the system wont recongnize the fso number or something like that, but for the most part it works fine for me.

ive been hearing of a few issues lately. ive been able to setup 1 account when cx has asked. but ive had a few other techs mention setting up more than 1 has been presenting a problem. what issue are you experiencing specifically?

I cant remember exactly what it says, somewhere along the lines of problem encountered cannot complete request at this time. Sometimes I try a few hours later and it works, then sometimes I need to call tech support.

when is spaceway 3 going into service? What will that mean for us?

Spaceway 3 is currently in service and Hughes is doing alpha and beta testing on it at the moment. I posted a breif summary of what I know and can say about it a while back but do not know what thread it was on.

This is what I can say for sure about the service at the moment. Hughes first does not and will not call the service Spaceway as many people are calling it now. Hughes will call it KA service and the current service KU service. The way the marketing system will work is so that the KA and KU service will not compete with each other. The main reason they want to do this is for customers who will not be able to see the current KA satellite will have another option. Basically they do not want to hype KA up to the point that a customer will think KU services will be second grade. The pricing and plans are expected to be close to the same as the current service.

As for the us the installer, in order to get certified for KA installations if you are a current tech you will need to go to the elearning site and go through training which includes a test similar to the one that was issued for the 7000 series modems.

The new modem series will be HN9xxx. The models they showed us were white and the design was totally different. Slightly smaller more boxed shaped and the lights were not as intense and the 6000 and 7000 models. The radio units are also different. The closely resemble the only style .98 and above units. The dishes will continue to remain the same Raven and Prodelin dishes as now but with an adaptor for the odu unit. Also depending on the customers package type the combination of ODU power wattage and the dishes will be greater than now. For instance you could have a customer with a 2 watt radio unit and only a .74 dish. The wattage for the new units will be 1, 2, 4, and 10. You will more than likely never see a 4 or 10 as they will primarily be used for uplink centers. The dishes will be .74, .98, 1.2, 1.8 and 2.4.

Be prepared to spend upward of 300 dollars for the tools needed to install the KA system. First the most important will be a GPS, they system commissioning process will need GPS degrees, minutes, and seconds entered instead of zip codes. Those coordinates need to be within 15 meters of were the dish is located in order for the modem to range properly and insure it is on the correct beam. There are something like 700+ beams system wide. I have a chart on my laptop with is out of commission at the moment, I will have it back running at the end part of next week and confirm that number. The other tools include a device similar to an OPI and a set of dithering tools that attach to the feedhorn and block a portion of the signal out in order to insure the system is peaked properly. There are 5 different signal strength values that need to be recored into the modem before the commissioning process will take place and they are impossible to do without these tools. This process does however take the place of cross polling ;). There is also a tool needed if you are installing any of the Beta units "which you would know the same info I have if you are" that will need to be used called a fine AZ tool. This will be built onto the dish when the full rollout begins alone with a elevation tool, which is a good thing because the tool weighs about 20 pounds. Look for the built in version to be similar to the KA/KU dish setup directv uses.

The commissioning process is totally different also. They modem downloads new software before it is commissioned. One good thing about that is as you are pointing the modem will check to see what software version it is currently running "there are 3 by the way boot, operating and fallback if I am not mistaken" and update them as you are doing the dithering process. During this time the transmitter unit is not operational, only the receive side. After you verify that they system is peaked out they modem will automatically complete a 25 step commissioning process "don't worry some of the steps were pointing" during the commissioning process the customer also has the option to set up email accounts like the old 4000 software if you remember that.

You will learn some more basic info when they release it to the elearning site. Just keep and eye on that and it should post anytime. A couple of things I remember right off the top of my head are all Raven and .98 Prodelin dishes will not be scewed. The .74 Prodelin dish will however since it does have more of an oval shape. Hughes is also suppose to be working with Prodelin on the design of that dish in order to make it more durable. The software download also has a status bar on it which is really nice. You can track the progress a little closer than current. There will be 3 Home and 1 Business plan called an Elite plan. Residential customers will be the first to have the new service available the Enterprise after. The Spaceway 3 satellite is capable of handling up to 1000000 remote units. Depending on the first surge in demand Hughes does have the option for Spaceway 4, they want to see how the service will take off before they make their minds up on it. I suspect late March or April we will start seeing they public introduction.

Any other questions you may have just ask and I will let you know what I know. Alot of the info is fuzzy because its been a month since I was up there and they also had not made up minds on alot of stuff at that time. It was basically like we have you here and we are going to teach you this but before you can utilize it everything may change :confused::confused::confused:.

By the way. Those new OPI type devices, another reason they made the software were those are mandatory is they are serialized. So when you do your pointing and verify them the modem sends the stats to Hughes along with the serial number of the device that was used so they will know exactly who pointed the dish. Pretty cool huh. :haha:haha:haha

Spaceway 3 is currently in service and Hughes is doing alpha and beta testing on it at the moment. I posted a breif summary of what I know and can say about it a while back but do not know what thread it was on.

This is what I can say for sure about the service at the moment. Hughes first does not and will not call the service Spaceway as many people are calling it now. Hughes will call it KA service and the current service KU service. The way the marketing system will work is so that the KA and KU service will not compete with each other. The main reason they want to do this is for customers who will not be able to see the current KA satellite will have another option. Basically they do not want to hype KA up to the point that a customer will think KU services will be second grade. The pricing and plans are expected to be close to the same as the current service.

As for the us the installer, in order to get certified for KA installations if you are a current tech you will need to go to the elearning site and go through training which includes a test similar to the one that was issued for the 7000 series modems.

The new modem series will be HN9xxx. The models they showed us were white and the design was totally different. Slightly smaller more boxed shaped and the lights were not as intense and the 6000 and 7000 models. The radio units are also different. The closely resemble the only style .98 and above units. The dishes will continue to remain the same Raven and Prodelin dishes as now but with an adaptor for the odu unit. Also depending on the customers package type the combination of ODU power wattage and the dishes will be greater than now. For instance you could have a customer with a 2 watt radio unit and only a .74 dish. The wattage for the new units will be 1, 2, 4, and 10. You will more than likely never see a 4 or 10 as they will primarily be used for uplink centers. The dishes will be .74, .98, 1.2, 1.8 and 2.4.

Be prepared to spend upward of 300 dollars for the tools needed to install the KA system. First the most important will be a GPS, they system commissioning process will need GPS degrees, minutes, and seconds entered instead of zip codes. Those coordinates need to be within 15 meters of were the dish is located in order for the modem to range properly and insure it is on the correct beam. There are something like 700+ beams system wide. I have a chart on my laptop with is out of commission at the moment, I will have it back running at the end part of next week and confirm that number. The other tools include a device similar to an OPI and a set of dithering tools that attach to the feedhorn and block a portion of the signal out in order to insure the system is peaked properly. There are 5 different signal strength values that need to be recored into the modem before the commissioning process will take place and they are impossible to do without these tools. This process does however take the place of cross polling ;). There is also a tool needed if you are installing any of the Beta units "which you would know the same info I have if you are" that will need to be used called a fine AZ tool. This will be built onto the dish when the full rollout begins alone with a elevation tool, which is a good thing because the tool weighs about 20 pounds. Look for the built in version to be similar to the KA/KU dish setup directv uses.

The commissioning process is totally different also. They modem downloads new software before it is commissioned. One good thing about that is as you are pointing the modem will check to see what software version it is currently running "there are 3 by the way boot, operating and fallback if I am not mistaken" and update them as you are doing the dithering process. During this time the transmitter unit is not operational, only the receive side. After you verify that they system is peaked out they modem will automatically complete a 25 step commissioning process "don't worry some of the steps were pointing" during the commissioning process the customer also has the option to set up email accounts like the old 4000 software if you remember that.

You will learn some more basic info when they release it to the elearning site. Just keep and eye on that and it should post anytime. A couple of things I remember right off the top of my head are all Raven and .98 Prodelin dishes will not be scewed. The .74 Prodelin dish will however since it does have more of an oval shape. Hughes is also suppose to be working with Prodelin on the design of that dish in order to make it more durable. The software download also has a status bar on it which is really nice. You can track the progress a little closer than current. There will be 3 Home and 1 Business plan called an Elite plan. Residential customers will be the first to have the new service available the Enterprise after. The Spaceway 3 satellite is capable of handling up to 1000000 remote units. Depending on the first surge in demand Hughes does have the option for Spaceway 4, they want to see how the service will take off before they make their minds up on it. I suspect late March or April we will start seeing they public introduction.

Any other questions you may have just ask and I will let you know what I know. Alot of the info is fuzzy because its been a month since I was up there and they also had not made up minds on alot of stuff at that time. It was basically like we have you here and we are going to teach you this but before you can utilize it everything may change :confused::confused::confused:.

By the way. Those new OPI type devices, another reason they made the software were those are mandatory is they are serialized. So when you do your pointing and verify them the modem sends the stats to Hughes along with the serial number of the device that was used so they will know exactly who pointed the dish. Pretty cool huh. :haha:haha:haha

Should us installers expect a huge surge of installations coming our way. Ive heard yes and no from different techs?

Sounds more complicated, You need more tools, you need more learning, more responsibility and installer pay keeps going down......I am guessing here that they will not be paying more for Ka installs....Am I correct?

Is my guess that installing Ka band HN equipment will be more complicated and time consuming correct? I am only asking because we do some commercial site maint and installs and I want to be prepared before they ask me to bend over even further......

Sounds more complicated, You need more tools, you need more learning, more responsibility and installer pay keeps going down......I am guessing here that they will not be paying more for Ka installs....Am I correct?

Is my guess that installing Ka band HN equipment will be more complicated and time consuming correct? I am only asking because we do some commercial site maint and installs and I want to be prepared before they ask me to bend over even further......

Once you do a couple the Ka install should be just as easy or complicated as a Ku install. I suspect the only techs that will have trouble are ones who have not been doing Ku installs for a couple of years. The pointing of the KA antenna will be more tedious even though there is no cross pol. For instance say if you are installing while there are heavy clouds or if you have ever installed a Ku and noticed the signal jumping around 10 to 15 points as the clouds move in and out. While you are pointing a Ka this jumping around cannot happen or you will not get though the commissioning process. As I said earlier you have to record 5 differant signal values into the modem. This is were the dithering tools come into play, the first is a center signal which is just a regular signal strength, the second and third are a value blocking the left and right sides of the feedhorn and the fourth and fifth are values blocking the top and bottom of the feedhorn. These readings were you block half the feedhorn out have to be within 5 points of each other. Well that might be hard if you are having clouds in and out of your line of sight right. Well Hughes has a solution for if that is happening. You can put the modem in a state that will basiclly take 15 or 20 readings and output the average of those readings. So if your signal is jumping from 75 to 95 you can uses this state and the signal will be converted to 85. The problem with that is it could take up to 30 seconds for this to be outputed. So if you are tuning the dish in you will have to move the dish slightly, wait 30 secondes then move the dish again. Fun hu.

As far as pricing or pay I am not sure. Last I heard they were changing their minds on that every 2 to 3 days.

At first no enterprise sales will be avalible only residentual.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts