Hulu loses the CW, Netflix gets it back with better options

Discussion in 'Cord Cutters Club (Internet TV)' started by theBruce, Jun 21, 2016.

1. theBruce

theBruce Topic Starter Supporting Founder
    Supporting Founder

http://deadline.com/2016/06/the-cw-extend-netflix-streaming-dealhulu-ends-in-season-pact-1201775788/

The CW To Extend Netflix Streaming Deal After Hulu Ends In-Season Pact

With the future of the CW on broadcast secured via new deal with Tribune, the attention shifted to the expiring SVOD pacts with Netflix and Hulu. The library Netflix pact, which covers previous seasons of CW series, is being extended, with the window following the season finale on the CW significantly shortened, while the in-season rights deal with Hulu is not being renewed.

The new deal, first reported by Variety, is said to be in the same ballpark for a similar 5-year term in which the window of the series becoming available on the streaming platform (Netflix) is cut from a couple of months to a couple of weeks after a season ends on the CW.

whitewolf8214 and Zookster like this.
  2. Zookster

Zookster SatelliteGuys Pro

Good news and bad news for me. I'm relying on Playstation Vue as my primary TV provider. They don't carry CW, even in markets where locals are available (though one would hope that would change at some point). So I was planning on signing up for Hulu Plus in the fall to watch a few shows I want to keep following. I subscribe to Netflix already, so I guess this means I'll have to wait until the end of the season to catch up with those shows.

Regardless, I'm glad Netflix is upping its game (or at least holding the line) on securing network content.

3. lparsons21

lparsons21 SatelliteGuys Master
    Lifetime Supporter

There is an app for CW for iOS and maybe even android.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. theBruce

Supporting Founder

Does not do any good when you want to watch it on your Television.

5. msmith198025

msmith198025 Member of the Year
    Staff Member HERE TO HELP YOU!

You can cast/airplay it if you have any number of devices. Apple Tv, Fire TV, Chromecast.

ohioankev likes this.
  6. king3pj

king3pj SatelliteGuys Master
    Lifetime Supporter

Yeah when I was relying on only OTA and streaming I would use Hulu to catch CW shows from time to time. I can get CW OTA but it is a weaker signal than the rest of my channels. Most of the time my recording were completely fine but every couple weeks I would get an episode with enough breakup to drive me crazy. Being able to use a Hulu Plus account with the no commercials upgrade was a great backup in those cases.

Not being able to use Hulu Plus in season anymore is a bummer but I use Netflix much more often than Hulu anways so I'm fine with them getting the content. Plus it doesn't hurt that Netflix is 1080p vs 720p on Hulu and Netflix gets Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 audio vs stereo on Hulu.

7. osu1991

osu1991 SatelliteGuys Master

cwtv.com and computer connected to tv will also get you the episodes

ohioankev likes this.
  8. Zookster

How bad are the commercial interruptions? I'll gladly wait a year to see the next season of some of my favorite TV shows before I watch 15-20 minutes of commercials per hour. I actually could get any of these CW shows OTA, but I don't have an OTA DVR, and I don't want to invest in one just for the few shows I can't get on PS Vue or Hulu Plus.

On a side, slightly related note, I recently had to catch an episode of a TV show on Sundance Channel's website. The recording of episode 2 of Cleverman on PS Vue was corrupted (first time that's happened). Much to my delight, there weren't any commercials on Sundance. :)

9. Toddwsu2005

Toddwsu2005 SatelliteGuys Family

You can always use the plex app

10. Zookster

Please explain the advantages. I've heard of the Plex app, but don't know much about it beyond it enabling streaming on one's home network.

11. osu1991

osu1991 SatelliteGuys Master

Not sure on commercials. I have ad blockers installed and just checked an Arrow episode. There are 5 dots in the time line for commercials but it didn't play any just now when it go to those spots.

You can add some channels to Plex in the Plex dashboard. They pull from the websites and some are geolocked depending on your country location, like BBC iplayer and CBC, but things like CBS, CW, FoodNetwork, FreeForm, AE etc are available.

Zookster likes this.
  12. Stephen Henson

Stephen Henson SatelliteGuys Pro

Roku has the CW app also

13. Zookster

#13 Zookster, Jul 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  14. theBruce

Supporting Founder

Roku has the CW Seed, just older reruns of shows cancelled.

15. Zookster

Thanks for clarifying. I was wondering about that myself when I was browsing Roku's channel lists today as I contemplate getting a newer model Roku. I only saw Seed, but it didn't look like it included current season shows.

Separate names with a comma.

More...