Hulu Terminates Sale

There were also some rumors that Hulu might dump the sale. That's why nobody hasn't posted anything because it doesn't seem 100% certain as to what's could happen next.

How can Hulu be worth billions of $'s without a multiyear content deal? :confused:

I really worry that once Hulu gets sold, the content providers will just charge the new owner more for their content, and that'll get passed onto the consumer. I love me some Hulu Plus, & if they can get ALL their shows onto it, it will be awesome. I'd really like to watch Community, other places than my PC, or DVR for that matter.

With a lot of these networks starting their own services, how long until we have to pay $8 a month just to get shows on one network? Soon enough, you have a cable bill level price just to watch the shows you want. (ABC, NBC Universal, FOX, CBS, Turner, among others)

I did the 30-day free hulu plus trial, and in that 30 days, I exhausted all the content I was interested in viewing. That is why I'm rooting for Google and their demand for more content.

im not rooting for google they are getting too big and i would rather it get scrapped :)

Last edited:
I just have to think future demands that could be made have to play into this. Dish offered low, if they got it perhaps thought even with higher demands they could make it work, Hulu apparently couldn't live with the offer. I just see their model as risky as time goes on.

Curious... why not just buy the rights to the programming individually, like Dish can already do with Fox programming?

There was probably some infrastructure involved. Dish's media data center isn't going to be enough. Plus everything is concentrated in one place which isn't a good idea. They need multiple data centers.
I hadn't thought of that. Of course, $1.5 billion for a media center? Surely they could build one from scratch for less.

I'm still confused as to why Dish would want Hulu. I'd rather spend the money putting network programning on Dishonline or Blockbuster (once they get streaming up and running for non-Dish customers.)

It is more about there technology DISH wants, it is way better then what DISH has now on dishonline.com, that I how I feel, not about the the programming but the streaming technology.

It is more about there technology DISH wants, it is way better then what DISH has now on dishonline.com, that I how I feel, not about the the programming but the streaming technology.
Having access to the programming doesn't hurt though, to supplement their Blockbuster content.

bigwillieb said:

I can't argue your point. Hulu is a great site. I would personally spend the money on upgrading what I already have though.

Hulu just announced that they have ended the sale and won't be selling to anyone...

Hulu owners 'terminate sale process', won't sell to anyone -- Engadget

If I can find the article I will post the link later, but basically, the content providers stated that if Dish bought Hulu they would no longer provide free content. The gist of the story was that the current content providers who are distributed by Hulu do not want any re-transmitter to distribute the content they are providing and charge for it as part of a contract or package.

There was also a comment about the fact that if Hulu was owned by Dish it might accelerate the end of broadcast TV.