Humming Noise with Components Cable

losar

Original poster
Dec 8, 2006
Hi Guys

I just connected my second HDTV via 100 ft long component cable with my 622. I am getting humming noise and faint white horizontal line going across the screen.
My primary HDTV is connected via HDMI. Any suggestion on problem..

Thanks

What they said. Good grounding is essential. Does your TV have a 2 or 3 wire connector?

Since you said component, I'm assuming (dangerous!) you are running 5 cables.

I would be curious to try the following: Disconnect the 2 audio cables and note what happens to the picture. Also, try disconnecting the 3 video cables one at a time in case one of them had a bad connector at one or both ends.

On the 5-wire component cables I have, the audio wires are not as thick, and I assume (there I go again) not as well shielded as the video cables.

I'd also try rerouting the cable, it could be too close to an EMI source.

Good luck!

Most likely, there is a difference in the resistance of the ground paths of the two TVs. To test for this, get a set of long extension cords and plug both in to the same electrical outlet and then run each extension cord to each TV, so that they are both on the same circuit. Make sure all related equipment at both locations are connected to the extension cord via a power strip, etc.

If that test clears up the problem, you have a problem with grounding on your electrical lines and your component cables can be acting as a lower resistance ground path for one of your electrical outlets. That's a very dangerous condition. In that case, get one of those outlet testers at Home Depot for a couple bucks that just plugs right in to the electrical outlet. It will tell you if something is up with the outlet. Other than that, you might need an electrician.

Grounding

What you are seeing is know as a "Humbar". It travels up the screen at 60 hz (hertz- a.k.a 60 cycles). It is very likely that the 2 AC recepticals have different paths to ground causing the problem. It may be as simple as the grounds and terminals on the 2 different units need to be tightened up, as well as the ones in the AC distribution (breaker) box. But unless you know what you are doing w/electricity it would be dangerous for you to go into the box. So once you have tested the AC using the heavy extension cords call in someone that can work on the problem. There is also one other possibility and that is if you have cable from your local cable system it could be the problem. That is often problem since they always ground there system away from your house.

Hi Guys

I just connected my second HDTV via 100 ft long component cable with my 622. I am getting humming noise and faint white horizontal line going across the screen.
My primary HDTV is connected via HDMI. Any suggestion on problem..

Thanks
Maybe your cable is too long. 100' a long distance for component cables. My guess is thats your downgrading signal. Component isn't digital remember.

Maybe your cable is too long. 100' a long distance for component cables. My guess is thats your downgrading signal. Component isn't digital remember.
You could have 250 feet of component on RG6 and not have any problems. More than 6 feet of HDMI and all bets are off since that is all the spec was written for. His problem is definitely ground loop and he will need to try to figure out which outlet has the problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)