Hurricane Wilma now a CAT 5 at 175Mph:

Status
Not open for further replies.

LonghornXP

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Well this is history for quite some time that is for sure. This storm in just two hours time has gone from 80Mph to 175Mph which is the fastest increase ever recorded in history.

This one will be bad that is for sure and nobody can tell me that this isn't at least somewhat due to global warming.

Longhorn and Larry, looks like we'll be doing some hurricane prep here in the next couple of days. I'll probably start putting up the shutters tomorrow, and taking down my antenna and dishes Friday/Saturday when we see if its going to stay south by me or move north towards Tampa.

When I built my house last year, I wanted to get a whole house generator, but my home theater won out! I hope I'll win with the gamble this time, although my plan is my next major purchase will be a 24KW generator. I just needed a hurricane season or two to budget for it!

Good luck guys!

I had new windows and doors installed this year with impact resistant glass...so no shutters/plywood here anymore. I wanted to install a fixed generator, but there is no natural gas available in my area and my lot is too small to install one of those "bomb" propane tanks.

This one looks like lose, lose for me. If it stays to the south...my family is in Broward/W. Palm Beach Counties, if it comes north it's going to test my new windows and roof in the Tampabay area. I guess the best case scenario is a rapid loss of intensity, something along the lines of the rapid increase that occured in the last day.

A lot of people here in Northwest Broward are getting very nervous. Wilma will affect the entire state. The only good side to this is that they predict that it will be moving forward very fast so we should not have to worry about the rain so much but on the other hand if it hits the west coast as a Cat 3 it will still be a Cat 3 by the time it hits the east coast, not enough time to weaken.

I am so tired of putting up my shutters in the past two years. All of you on the West coast need to get prepared now, if you have to put up shutters do it as soon as possible because you will be feeling the winds as soon as tomorrow.

Good luck to you all and be safe.

Fun.... not :( :(

Wilma is now the strongest hurricane on record for the atlantic basin...

My Palm Beach Gardens house is in a 20 mile shift of being screwed. Last night it the path was going directly over me now it's a bit north again

If my house is still standing after this hurricane season I think I'll be moving to Boston. I'm just getting so tired of the traffic and just constant worry of when a hurricane will hit. Maybe I'll move to New Hampshire/Manchester and at least I can buy a house that has fiber installed from Verizon. I think in December I'll just fly up north and check out some of the areas around Nashua and Concord. I'm leaning towards moving to Portsmouth. At least my last name is well known in the New England greater area as well as my Boston College degree.

BFG said:
When did you get that? My brother got one in 2002

Lets look back. I started my freshman year when I was 17 and I finished my masters when I turned 22. I majored in Political Science in the Arts and Science department. I also got my Masters in Political Science at USF.

Edit...Oh and I'm almost 25 years old.

LonghornXP said:
my Boston College degree.

couldn't get into ND huh?

Really J/K. You know the old joke :smug
I am getting a little slap happy waiting on another Hurricane, business is dead because everyone is out getting supplies. I have so much to do to get ready for this damn thing. I just feel like heading up north this weekend.

I would STILL love to move to florida. Ice and snow YUK!

I would put up with the occasional hurricane.

Anyone have a poured concrete home with electrical storm shutters?

I saw the electric shutters at a condo in cocoa beach. One button and they went down automatically.

Bob Haller said:
I would STILL love to move to florida. Ice and snow YUK!

I would put up with the occasional hurricane.

Anyone have a poured concrete home with electrical storm shutters?

I saw the electric shutters at a condo in cocoa beach. One button and they went down automatically.

My mom has those, lives in a 4 unit building on the 2nd floor 1/4 mile from the gulf in Naples. Shes on a 10PM flight out tonight, coming up to Il to stay with us. She decided she didn't want to try to ride it out alone, it was 1 year ago this weekend that my dad passed away. Just better that she'll be up here with us.

John Walsh said:
Business is dead because everyone is out getting supplies.
One man's misfortune is another mans fortune. My company always loves natural disasters. Everyone needs building and emergency supplies.

Sparkman said:
My mom has those, lives in a 4 unit building on the 2nd floor 1/4 mile from the gulf in Naples. Shes on a 10PM flight out tonight, coming up to Il to stay with us. She decided she didn't want to try to ride it out alone, it was 1 year ago this weekend that my dad passed away. Just better that she'll be up here with us.

Sorry about your dad, those anniversaries are always the pits. Be there for your mom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)