HWS Hard Drive Fail?

Shoot To Thrill

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 17, 2013
United States
Got a message that the HD failed and to unplug and wait 10 minutes. (HWS is around 3 months old)

Once it rebooted (Took 30 minutes) everything was EXTREMELY slow or not responsive to remote commands at all. Changing channels takes 4-5 minutes. DVR shows not playing.

Unplugged again - Same problems.

Unplugged a THIRD time and same problems.

Strangest things I've ever seen. Push a button on the remote and something completely different happens (push skip ahead and it skips backwards for instance) or it goes to a blank screen and does absolutely nothing.

I am so damn mad. I had a TON of recorded shows and now it looks like I am screwed.

Any suggestions before I cancel my service?

I just tried to change the channel with the channel button and it went from Ch 2 and skipped all the way to Ch 168, then I hit it again and it went DOWN to Ch 5. This thing is possessed!

Now I pressed the CH 2 button and it went to CH 300 after sitting there for 15 seconds.

I just pressed the DVR button and it took 45 seconds to open it up. I pressed on a recorded show and it just sits there and does nothing

If I where you I would turn it off and unplug it and wait till the morning.Have a EHD handy if you got one hopefuly you will have time to transfer your stuff.And then call disk to get a replacement.

Sounds like a bad receiver. Either have Dish replace it for you again or consider upgrading to the new Hopper 3.

Absolutely the worst customer service I've ever had. I've been on the phone with these people off and on for 2 hours. No one seems to know what to do. I get calls forwarded to departments that then have no idea what to do. This is the most frustrating thing I've dealt with in a long time. All they want to do is pass the buck.

4-6 days for a replacement?

$20 shipping charge?

This is asinine....... Absolutely asinine.

Absolutely the worst customer service I've ever had. I've been on the phone with these people off and on for 2 hours. No one seems to know what to do. I get calls forwarded to departments that then have no idea what to do. This is the most frustrating thing I've dealt with in a long time. All they want to do is pass the buck.

$20 shipping charge?

PM a DiRT member, there are 3 online right now.

$20 shipping charge?

Basic shipping is always 4-6 business days. Usually it's $15 for shipping and is waived if you have the protection plan. These are both pretty standard. If it's a problem that has happened more than once I would think they could help you out a little more though.

I would recommend doing the online chat. I always have better luck with them. Also, keep in mind upgrading to the new Hopper 3. Forgot to mention DIRT, they are great help.

Reactions: Shoot To Thrill
Basic shipping is always 4-6 business days. Usually it's $15 for shipping and is waived if you have the protection plan. These are both pretty standard. If it's a problem that has happened more than once I would think they could help you out a little more though.

I would recommend doing the online chat. I always have better luck with them. Also, keep in mind upgrading to the new Hopper 3. Forgot to mention DIRT, they are great help.

I am not waiting 4-6 days when I can have a DirecTV or cable installed in less than 24 hours.

I am also not paying shipping or anything else because of THEIR bad product. It is 3 months old.

From what I've seen of the Hopper 3 and all the problems, I don't think I want anything to do with it.

I am not waiting 4-6 days when I can have a DirecTV or cable installed in less than 24 hours.

I am also not paying shipping or anything else because of THEIR bad product. It is 3 months old.

From what I've seen of the Hopper 3 and all the problems, I don't think I want anything to do with it.

Well, then it seems you have already made up your mind then. Go ahead and avoid any help. You could just request a tech visit and they could have someone to your place in a day.

Don't let the minor, day 1 glitches sway you from getting the Hopper 3.

I just tried to change the channel with the channel button and it went from Ch 2 and skipped all the way to Ch 168, then I hit it again and it went DOWN to Ch 5. This thing is possessed!

Now I pressed the CH 2 button and it went to CH 300 after sitting there for 15 seconds.

I just pressed the DVR button and it took 45 seconds to open it up. I pressed on a recorded show and it just sits there and does nothing

Have you seen any error message on the screen for hard drive issues? When you press the DVR button will it go into where your recordings are (supposed to be) is there anything like an error message?

This was the time of the 4th call.... ONE hour! Amazing.

This is it for me. Next issue and I am done with Dish and their inept service.
a9rbsg.jpg

Have you seen any error message on the screen for hard drive issues? When you press the DVR button will it go into where your recordings are (supposed to be) is there anything like an error message?

Hopefully - after THREE hours off and on the phone this has been addressed. Your phone support team is a shambles and should be an embarrassment to you guys. I've never experienced such a run around in my life.

They were wanting information that I couldn't give them because the DVR wouldn't power up to supply what they wanted. When told this, they said they needed the info to carry on. This went on and on, over and over. You'd think I was talking to 8 year olds.

Next issue and I'm done with you guys. This was more than horrible CS, this was juvenile and uncalled for.

Hopefully - after THREE hours off and on the phone this has been addressed. Your phone support team is a shambles and should be an embarrassment to you guys. I've never experienced such a run around in my life.

They were wanting information that I couldn't give them because the DVR wouldn't power up to supply what they wanted. When told this, they said they needed the info to carry on. This went on and on, over and over. You'd think I was talking to 8 year olds.

Next issue and I'm done with you guys. This was more than horrible CS, this was juvenile and uncalled for.

You should have just hung up and did the online chat or got a hold of someone from DIRT here. Would have saved you a headache.

Yeah, who knew it would be such a nightmare. It shouldn't be that way, if my business was ran like this - I'd be out of business.

I'm over it now. It's up to them to live up to the promises they just gave me. If not I'll just move on to the next poor customer service satellite/cable company :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts