HWS Remote Issue

kresston

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 29, 2004
Home of the HOKIES!!
Hey guys,

I just upgraded from a 722k to two HWS. The remote on the first HWS cannot find a suitable code for my tv. When I try to do the learning, it works for a bit then fails. The TV is a LG 42LN5300. The second HWS found my bedroom TV, an LG 32LC7D, and supplied the correct code. To get full functionality I did the learning in addition to the found code. It accepts the learned codes. The problem is when I hit any buttons (learned or not) in TV mode it acts like I pressed the button three times, ie when hitting down it moves down three instead of one.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Ken,

I'm sorry but I don't understand what you mean.

When I had the 722k hooked up the remotes controlled both TVs just fine while using the learning function, these new ones have issues.

I'm saying that the remote is too powerful for your TV, so you might have to reduce the signal from the remote or block some of it to the TV. It looks like you continued to hold the button. Also make your button press short as changing the TV's sensitivity is difficult. The Dish remote is full strength as is.

Are you using infrared (IR) or radio frequency (RF)? Try the other.
-Ken

Either IR or RF can have interference that makes the receiver think the button is multiply pushed or prolonged.
As others have said make sure your TV does not have auto brightness on as that can do an IR flood.
The default for Hopper is RF, not IR. This so the remote can be set for backup even turned the wrong way.
-Ken

Make sure your remotes Limited mode is disabled while you perform the learn mode. Couple days ago I had an issue with two of my remotes that are paired to the same Hopper. I couldn't get the learn mode for a TV to work properly. I checked the Limited mode and discovered they both were enabled. The learned mode worked fine after I disabled the Limited mode. I don't know how they got that way. I keep all my remotes Limited mode disabled. I just wonder if the Hopper changed the setting somehow!

Ok guys, the tv with remote that has does multiples of the button press, I reset it to the original code and the mysterious single (triple) press has went away on the television. I'm going to try to redo the learning on it to see if it returns.

edit - I just did the learning wizard for this tv. Now the only buttons that do the psuedo-triple press are the ones learned by the remote. Which only was the 4 arrows. The code provided by the HWS operates the volume, power, input, cancel, etc like it should but the arrows do not work.

Last edited:
I have the same issue with my LGs and 40.0 remote learned commands. Haven't found a workaround for them.

Thanks JM42, I'm glad I'm not going crazy and imagining this issue. I still haven't been able to get my other LG to even begin to be usable by the other HWS remote.

Thanks JM42, I'm glad I'm not going crazy and imagining this issue. I still haven't been able to get my other LG to even begin to be usable by the other HWS remote.

Did you check the Limited mode and make sure it is disabled? Also, try loading another TV model and save it to the remote and then try to setup your LG again.

Charlesrshell, the first thing I did was disabled Limited mode. I ran threw all the codes that the TV offers during the initial coding, and will do so again and try to get the living room remote to accept some learned commands later today.

Did you check the Limited mode and make sure it is disabled? Also, try loading another TV model and save it to the remote and then try to setup your LG again.
Limited mode is disabled on all my remotes. Just to be sure, I made sure it was disabled and re-learned the commands. Still get the double presses. 20.0/21/0 remotes work fine.

The TV has an LED that blinks when receiving an IR command. With the LG remote, the 40.0 pre-programmed commands, and the 20.0/21.0 learned commands there is a single blink when a key is pressed. With the 40.0 learned commands there are multiple blinks when a key is pressed.

I have a couple of different 40.0 revisions and they both behave the same.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)