Privacy issue

TheKrell

A mighty and noble race originating on Altair IV.
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 4, 2007
Fairfax, VA
I have a technical question. I was watching a recording of a Hallmark channel movie featuring Kelly Clarkson singing in a couple of spots. Other than being impressed with her ability, I do not follow country music and so had no clue that she was a famous singer in her own right.

The very next morning, Facebook fed me a video of Ms. Clarkson and identified her as a country music star. How is this possible? I know Dish knows what I watch. But did they sell my info to Facebook that fast?

I think Facebook listens to whats going on around you. As two weeks before I went on my cruise I was talking about going on the cruise, and then started getting a lot of cruise ads and even an ad for the art auction for the cruise I was going on. Yet I never wrote on Facebook I was going on a cruise.

This is not the first time something I was talking about soon became ads for me on Facebook.

I think Facebook listens to whats going on around you. As two weeks before I went on my cruise I was talking about going on the cruise, and then started getting a lot of cruise ads and even an ad for the art auction for the cruise I was going on. Yet I never wrote on Facebook I was going on a cruise.

This is not the first time something I was talking about soon became ads for me on Facebook.
Interesting. So where were the mics that captured your conversation? I don't have FB on my phone, for example, and I don't take it to bed with me. (I was watching the movie in the MBR.) I do have Echoes in my bedroom, so if they are "live" without even using the wake word, then I'm even more upset!

Interesting. So where were the mics that captured your conversation? I don't have FB on my phone, for example, and I don't take it to bed with me. (I was watching the movie in the MBR.) I do have Echoes in my bedroom, so if they are "live" without even using the wake word, then I'm even more upset!
Here is Dish’s policy about selling ( they call it sharing) your information, if you read it, it is pretty much sold to anyone they want to-

But, pretty much all services do the same unless you opt out ( or if allowed to).

I am guessing on my phone.

Not the first time it happened. One time my wife was telling me about this specific dress she wanted, and then ads started popping up for it on Facebook. She did not use my phone nor was a searching for this dress on my phone. (Who the hell would want to see me in a dress?) :D

Another time we were talking about shopping around for car insurance, and yup ads started popping up for insurance companies.

Anything with a mic is always listening. And then ad data is shared between like e everything. Hapoens a lot to me. Will talk about something then next thing you know it's in the ads on e ery site I go to or shows up in posts on social media.
Only way to stop it is to quit using the internet.

I personally don't care. I have nothing to hide and if they want to listen to my boring life then whatever. But I know it bothers other people quite a bit. It is definitely getting ridiculous the amount of the things they do just from listening or using your search data. And it happens quick.

Echo devices have been accused of similar, and I’m not going to say it ain’t so.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Ok, boysenberries - ever wonder how smart TVs are so cheap?

They detect what you’re watching, and phone home summaries. Surveillance.

If you can’t see what the product being sold is - YOU’RE the product!

Anything with a mic is always listening. And then ad data is shared between like e everything. Hapoens a lot to me.
Yeah, but an extra step was necessary for my Clarkson example to work, and this part really bothers me. I thought Dish was selling anonymized info to other firms... But they had to identify me specifically in order for Facebook to put it in my feed as opposed to Scott's, while giving Scott dress information rather than me. ;)
Echo devices have been accused of similar, and I’m not going to say it ain’t so.
People have sniffed their LAN and claim the audio data are NOT going up to Amazon except after the wake word is heard.

Ok, boysenberries - ever wonder how smart TVs are so cheap?

They detect what you’re watching, and phone home summaries. Surveillance.

If you can’t see what the product being sold is - YOU’RE the product!
My Sony Z9K came with a camera, that you attach to the top on the TV, there was no way I was going to do that.

I do not even like doing video calls with work, but it is either that or move to California.

Did you Google her?..do you have one of those echo spy devices?

I would recommend having a long conversation about something weird like how great your hot dog bu warmer was and that it's a shame it broke

I have a technical question. I was watching a recording of a Hallmark channel movie featuring Kelly Clarkson singing in a couple of spots. Other than being impressed with her ability, I do not follow country music and so had no clue that she was a famous singer in her own right.

The very next morning, Facebook fed me a video of Ms. Clarkson and identified her as a country music star. How is this possible? I know Dish knows what I watch. But did they sell my info to Facebook that fast?
Your phone is listening to you.
And technology interacts with each other?
BTW, Clarkson was the very first American Idol winner