HWS Transfer to Ipad question, rules ?

dvrman

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Nov 14, 2005
I have an older hopper with the USB external sling adapter. Does anyone now if DISH will upgrade me or how much they charge for a newer HWS.
I have two other questions related to transferring content to another device (Ipad).
1) Can you transfer the same content to more than one device or is the 5 device limit just the number of devices you can register but any show/movie can only be transferred to a single device.
2) I read that premium content is deleted. Does this mean just HBO and Showtime or are other networks considered premium and how does this work for Tv shows and movies are they deleted from the DVR when copied or they just expire on the Ipad after 30 days ?

The upgrade fee for a Hopper with sling would depend on your account history, If you would like to send me a private message with the phone number and 4 digit security code on the account I will be happy to get your available upgrade information.

1) If the show is not removed from the DVR when you transfer ir you will be able to transfer it to multiple devices.

2) I believe all movie channels are subject to that limitation as well. That content will refresh to 30 days when the mobile device hooks up on the same WiFi network the content was transferred on. ESPN, Disney and ABC content will be available for 60 days, but will expire after that time.

You can only copy a single show one time to a mobile device. To answer the second question, anything that is protected by its HDCP and DRM will delete itself from the dvr and remain on the Mobile device. I have only come across a couple, and they were all HBO/Cinemax. I'm not sure is something like syfy(another HDCP compliant channel) would be affected, but I will give it a shot tonight.
Upgrades are based on individual accounts. Some people can upgrade for free, some people have a charge based on their history with the company. The greater positive revenue you create for the company, and the lower cost customer you are, the better offer you will receive. If you have the welcome pck for the last 7 years, and have paid in time the whole time, likely will be a mid to low revenue customer. If you have AEP and have a pat due balance each month, you likely will be a low "priority" customer(can't think of a better term). If you have AT120+ or higher and py every month on time and call in rarely, you likely will be a high value customer.

You can only copy a single show one time to a mobile device. To answer the second question, anything that is protected by its HDCP and DRM will delete itself from the dvr and remain on the Mobile device. I have only come across a couple, and they were all HBO/Cinemax. I'm not sure is something like syfy(another HDCP compliant channel) would be affected, but I will give it a shot tonight.
Upgrades are based on individual accounts. Some people can upgrade for free, some people have a charge based on their history with the company. The greater positive revenue you create for the company, and the lower cost customer you are, the better offer you will receive. If you have the welcome pck for the last 7 years, and have paid in time the whole time, likely will be a mid to low revenue customer. If you have AEP and have a pat due balance each month, you likely will be a low "priority" customer(can't think of a better term). If you have AT120+ or higher and py every month on time and call in rarely, you likely will be a high value customer.

chad,
Jason and you seem to disagree on whether a show can be copied to more than a Single device unless Jason's answer is only regarding so called premium content.

Mine may be misinterpreted. One device at a time. You cannot transfer a single show to multiple devices. However you can put show A on one device and show B on a second device. Show A can not be both devices(if you record the same show twice they become show a and b)

Mine may be misinterpreted. One device at a time. You cannot transfer a single show to multiple devices. However you can put show A on one device and show B on a second device. Show A can not be both devices(if you record the same show twice they become show a and b)
Thanks for clarifying.

Not a problem. One key thing that never gets mentioned. You cannot transfer back from the iPad, back into the hopper. I know it seems like a small thing, but you'll run into a situation where that will be important. Lol.

If it is one of those premium content ones it will be removed from the hopper if transferred. The only way to get it back is by re recording it. It gives you a message telling you it will delete if you proceed.

Well that sorta stinks. I was hoping to use the feature to transfer recordings to my IPad for the kids to watch while traveling. But, when we returned home I wanted them to be available again.

How much space does a 2 hour Disney movie like "Cars" take up on the IPad?
How long can you keep movies from Disney or other premiums on your Ipad before it is deleted ? Is there anyway to extend the expiration date ?

You can keep them indefinitely, but it does have to connect to he same network as your hopper atleast every 30 days.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)