Hybrid solo hub question

JustanOldfart

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 22, 2005
Fredericksburg, TX
My current setup is three Wallys connected to an exterior grounding block and then to a 1000.2 dish with dpp lnb. I would like to replace the Wallys with a hopper and two joeys connected via coax. I'm planning on using a dph42 switch in place of the grounding block along with a hybrid solo hub and power inserter for the switch. The solo hub would be mounted on the outside at the switch location. In order to reuse the original cables to the outside I would like to connect the power inserter at the hopper location instead of between the solo hub and the dph42 switch. My question is does anyone know if there is a DC pass thru in the solo hub between the ODU and Host connections and if there is will this arrangement even work? Trying to avoid additional wiring if I can.

FYI you can bypass the switch and inserter if you use a hybrid lnbf. With this config all you’d need is a drop Iine to the hub than host to hopper and the client ports are your joeys. Tbh, you shouldn’t be using a switch and inserted for this config unless you’re an international customer with the new 500+ lnbf...

Reactions: charlesrshell
I thought that the 42 switch was developed for customers to use a dpp lnb with a hopper setup?I agree on using a hybrid lnb but access difficulties makes it tough to swap lnbs at this time. I'm old and decrepit and don't like climbing on my roof.

I thought that the 42 switch was developed for customers to use a dpp lnb with a hopper setup?I agree on using a hybrid lnb but access difficulties makes it tough to swap lnbs at this time. I'm old and decrepit and don't like climbing on my roof.
You are going the right way. Don't be swayed by posters who don't know what you are trying to accomplish...

You are going the right way. Don't be swayed by posters who don't know what you are trying to accomplish...

Aside from the "Climbing the roof" aspect, the info in OrbitalAsassin's post was correct and quite possibly useful.

But not in the OP's case....

I agree. Although, at the time of his post, the roof aspect was not known. it could be just me, but this portion of your post "Don't be swayed by posters who don't know what you are trying to accomplish..." comes off a bit dismissive, especially when referencing a new member's otherwise helpful post.

What hopper are you installing? If it'sa hopper 1 or two, you just can just get a solo node to use with your existing lnb, instead of a hub and switch. That would save a bit of work at least, trying to wire in switch.

A hopper with sling was installed at home with only a single tv. I'm now on the road in a RV and have brought my home Hopper Sling with me. My sat dish is th same as at home with 3 Lnb's and my Hopper recognize's the 3 turners but no signal , I've been traveling for about 15 years w a 722 receiver and not had difculties getting a signal before this. Is my problem not using a (hybrid solo hub) instead of direct conection to the Hopper?

Reactions: charlesrshell
A hopper with sling was installed at home with only a single tv. I'm now on the road in a RV and have brought my home Hopper Sling with me. My sat dish is th same as at home with 3 Lnb's and my Hopper recognize's the 3 turners but no signal , I've been traveling for about 15 years w a 722 receiver and not had difculties getting a signal before this. Is my problem not using a (hybrid solo hub) instead of direct conection to the Hopper?
Your existing dish is dish pro plus and not hybrid. So you would need two cables from dish into a solo node (not a hub).
However a direct connection should still give you signal but will only have 2 tuners instead of 3. If it's showing red x on all three tuners then something else is wrong, either not pointed correctly or damaged cable.
Also a node or hub prevents moca from entering the lnb so even if a direct connection works it's not recommended.