I am fed up with 622 rebooting 3 times a day!

Please believe me when I say you two are lucky. It is clearly the software that is to blame here.

Many, many of us (622 users) are having a horrible time that started when Dish 'upgraded' us to L4.01. Constant reboots, random OTA issues, lost signal problems, choppy fast forward and rewind, lost locks, etc....
Exactly!

Tonight was the very first time since the FORCED 4.xx software changes, that we were able to "Press "Select" to continue" and our 622 actually did! Until now NOTHING happened until we rebooted the silly machine. Funny how this freezing began the same day the our 622 got whacked by Dish's latest software "upgrade".:rolleyes:

FWIW this freezing while not being used began with 4.01 and continues with 4.03.

Talon Dancer

I have the TOA1 software to help track the OTA issues. I sent the following information to E* via e-mail regarding OTA re-boot issue:

I was just able to duplicate a system reboot after doing a re-scan of locals. Steps as follows:

1. Deleted all OTA channels from system.
2. Exited Menu
3. Re-entered Local Menu and re-scanned 3 different sets of stations using off-air antenna and rotor. (Flint / Saginaw / Bay City, MI locals Lansing Locals Detroit Locals).
4. Hit "done" and received message that important information is being stored in memory
5. Verified all channels were in Guide
6. Performed a "check switch" to update program guide information.
7. Entered DVR menu
8. Went to Schedule
9. Scrolled quickly by holding down the "page down" button.
10. Before scrolling through entire guide the system froze halfway down and performed a re-boot.

This happened twice before with the 4.01 and 4.03 software after re-scanning OTA locals. Not sure if it happened on the 3.66 as I only had it for a short time before the 4.01 upgrade.

I have the TOA1 software to help track the OTA issues. I sent the following information to E* via e-mail regarding OTA re-boot issue:

I was just able to duplicate a system reboot after doing a re-scan of locals. Steps as follows:

1. Deleted all OTA channels from system.
2. Exited Menu
3. Re-entered Local Menu and re-scanned 3 different sets of stations using off-air antenna and rotor. (Flint / Saginaw / Bay City, MI locals Lansing Locals Detroit Locals).
4. Hit "done" and received message that important information is being stored in memory
5. Verified all channels were in Guide
6. Performed a "check switch" to update program guide information.
7. Entered DVR menu
8. Went to Schedule
9. Scrolled quickly by holding down the "page down" button.
10. Before scrolling through entire guide the system froze halfway down and performed a re-boot.

This happened twice before with the 4.01 and 4.03 software after re-scanning OTA locals. Not sure if it happened on the 3.66 as I only had it for a short time before the 4.01 upgrade.

Reboots were always occurring in 363-366 after an OTA scan/add or delete. I haven't seen it in 401 and 403, or TOA1. Yet.

Exactly!

Tonight was the very first time since the FORCED 4.xx software changes, that we were able to "Press "Select" to continue" and our 622 actually did! Until now NOTHING happened until we rebooted the silly machine. Funny how this freezing began the same day the our 622 got whacked by Dish's latest software "upgrade".:rolleyes:

FWIW this freezing while not being used began with 4.01 and continues with 4.03.

Talon Dancer

Please go to Diagnostics and provide your temperature readings and your SMART STATUS codes.

Have one of the first run 622's from last March. Worked flawlessly until they newest firmware upgrade. Now in the middle of watching tv at least 3 times a day it will freeze up black picture and high pitched his on my LCD and then takes about 5 minutes to re-boot back up, find satellite (signal is strong on all sats) and come back on.

If you look at my DVR recordings you can see half hour shows split a couple times a day from this re-boot.

Has anyone else had this problem? I have extended warrenty. Maybe I should call for replacement?

I feel your pain, I got my replacement 622 (new) today for my 622 I bought almost a year ago also. Call tech support a threaten to cancel and mention lots of people are complaining about it and let them know you are fed up with it.

I was getting one reboot an hour with L4.01 and several with L4.03, better but still no good. I have been contract free with Dish for 7 years so maybe thats why I got a new replacement. Not sure how they do it with subs. Good Luck and talk to tech. support, I got a real nice guy to help me out. :)

Please go to Diagnostics and provide your temperature readings and your SMART STATUS codes.
OK

HDD High 138
HDD low 122
HDD avg 127

HDD SMART Status 255
HDD START Status 0x000
HDD START FAIL count 1

Thanks in advance - Talon Dancer

ps We have now been able to "Press "Select" to continue" twice and the 622 actually did. We were surprised the first time and shocked the second. If it happens again tommorow night we'll break out the champagne:)

OK

HDD High 138
HDD low 122
HDD avg 127

HDD SMART Status 255
HDD START Status 0x000
HDD START FAIL count 1

Thanks in advance - Talon Dancer

ps We have now been able to "Press "Select" to continue" twice and the 622 actually did. We were surprised the first time and shocked the second. If it happens again tommorow night we'll break out the champagne:)

Your HDD SMART Status should be 0. Looks like you have a bad hard drive. This is what is causing all your problems. Your hard disk average temp is somewhat high as well. Do you keep your 622 closed up inside a cabinet? You will need to get more air to your receiver to get your hard disk temp down. Mine averages 107 and there are a couple good threads on the 622 temperature issue.

It sounds like your 622 has finally been able to write important data to a safe place on the disk for now but you will suffer again and maybe a complete failure.

The reason the update caused this problem is because it had to write important files to the hard disk and it wrote them over the bad sectors, causing the same problems you would see in a computer that suddenly reboots for no reason and won't start up properly.

I'd call tech support and relay the SMART Status to them with your problem description and get a replacement 622. Also, get more air to your receiver. Unfortunately, these babies can run HOT!!!

With hard disks being made so cheaply these days, its easy to get one that will fail and no application is exempt. I find it a little disappointing that Dish doesn't realize this as a primary point of failure and instruct tech support to ask for these numbers off the diagnostic screen when helping customers. Then again, I'm knee deep in computers every day and not your average Joe with the VCR blinking 12:00 either.

:)

Your HDD SMART Status should be 0. Looks like you have a bad hard drive. This is what is causing all your problems. Your hard disk average temp is somewhat high as well. Do you keep your 622 closed up inside a cabinet? You will need to get more air to your receiver to get your hard disk temp down.....
I'd call tech support and relay the SMART Status to them with your problem description and get a replacement 622. Also, get more air to your receiver. Unfortunately, these babies can run HOT!!!...
Thanks again. I'll call Tech Support today to see if they will replace it.

FWIW the 622 in sitting on top of a short cabinet out in the open. But it does have our LINN power amp (the sound system for our HDTV monitor) sitting on top of it. I'll move the amp to another location.

Talon Dancer

That is it then. If anything is on top or bottom of the 622 it will set off the temperature of the 622 causing all kinds of problems.

My HDD Smart Start is 255

Your HDD SMART Status should be 0. Looks like you have a bad hard drive. This is what is causing all your problems. Your hard disk average temp is somewhat high as well. Do you keep your 622 closed up inside a cabinet? You will need to get more air to your receiver to get your hard disk temp down. Mine averages 107 and there are a couple good threads on the 622 temperature issue.

It sounds like your 622 has finally been able to write important data to a safe place on the disk for now but you will suffer again and maybe a complete failure.

The reason the update caused this problem is because it had to write important files to the hard disk and it wrote them over the bad sectors, causing the same problems you would see in a computer that suddenly reboots for no reason and won't start up properly.

I'd call tech support and relay the SMART Status to them with your problem description and get a replacement 622. Also, get more air to your receiver. Unfortunately, these babies can run HOT!!!

With hard disks being made so cheaply these days, its easy to get one that will fail and no application is exempt. I find it a little disappointing that Dish doesn't realize this as a primary point of failure and instruct tech support to ask for these numbers off the diagnostic screen when helping customers. Then again, I'm knee deep in computers every day and not your average Joe with the VCR blinking 12:00 either.

:)

What exactly does the indicator at 255 mean? What has caused it to increment from 0 which you say it sould be to 255. The other values are HDD Start 0x000, and HDD Start Fail 0.

Appreciate your feedback.

Thanks,

Henry

What exactly does the indicator at 255 mean? What has caused it to increment from 0 which you say it sould be to 255. The other values are HDD Start 0x000, and HDD Start Fail 0.

Thanks,

Henry

My status shows 255 as well. What does this error code stand for? The primary issues I'm seeing since the upgrade are fast forward and rewind issues.

Thanks,

Henry

According to the SMART information that Western Digital has posted, 201 to 255 are reserved for vendor specific information pertaining to specific error codes.

Now, of course, these drives might not be WD but they are still using SMART technology so the error codes still apply. Hard disk errors can be soft or hard varying from bad sectors causing the loss of files that may or may not be important or replaceable, causing the system to hiccup, fault, or fail all the way to bad electronics or platters in the drive.

A bad hard disk may not be the problem every person is suffering from although it surely cannot be counted out and I suggest we look at these counters and other tests as well to isolate the most common similarities for those having reboot problems.

For those of you who have OTA connections, take those channels out, do not rescan, disconnect your OTA coax and reboot. then run your machine for 24 hours without the OTA connection to see if that stops the problem. If not, keep looking.

Some people have improperly grounded homes and bad circuits. Test your outlett you are connected to and hook your receiever to a UPS and see what happens.

Some people have bad coax from the dish/switch into the house.

All these problems have to be isolated and eliminated from the list of possiblities.

I'm surprised that with the number of problems that exist in a consumer environment that many of these complex tech devices even work at all. Providing customer support for these scenarios is a nightmare I would not want to have to debug.

According to the SMART information that Western Digital has posted, 201 to 255 are reserved for vendor specific information pertaining to specific error codes.

Does anyone have a link to where these diagnostic code numbers are defined?

I am still plagued with video stutter and drops. The last tech out took a look a my 25 year old c-band cable and pronounced it RG6. I have no idea how he could tell this with a 30 second visual inspection.

What would a UPS accomplish, other than keeping the thing booted up for a few minutes in the event of a power failure??

What would a UPS accomplish, other than keeping the thing booted up for a few minutes in the event of a power failure??

A good UPS like a SmartUPS or better will condition your power and ensure that you have adequate proper voltage. Residential power is notoriously bad for electronics.

A good UPS like a SmartUPS or better will condition your power and ensure that you have adequate proper voltage. Residential power is notoriously bad for electronics.

Then a line conditioner is actually what is needed, not a UPS, unless it is the dual conversion online type (spendy) UPS, correct??????????

My 622 reboots every 6 hours. I have it on all day tuned to a Sirius music channel, and go to TV in the evening. This is my third receiver, and they all did the same thing. 18 month commitment ends in September. I think I will be looking for other options at that time.:mad:

If three machines have all done "the same thing", I'd be looking at the rest of your setup to include power, the wall outlet, your coax cabling, and also where you are putting your 622 and what the diagnostic counters are.

Well, my 622 made last night's Drive completely unwatchable. About 20 minutes in, it froze on me, and any attempt to jump forward 30 seconds or just fast forward would cause a reboot.

I don't get the screaming banshee some of you have, but it's really, really annoying. Especially as it was all working so perfectly up until this latest firmware update.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts