I am glad we went SSL...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fie on Google for unilaterally declaring all websites not using TLS to be fraudulent and mean-spirited.

We knew they were moving towards not indexing such sites but summarily declaring them malignant is stepping way over the line.

I'd like to know who died and left them in charge of the Internet. They are, in effect, blackmailing any site that hasn't implemented SSL yet and that smells of criminal practice. Google is getting too big for their britches. They deliberately manipulate search results to feed their own agenda and I expect the hammer to fall on them one of these days for that practice. I know there are organizations investigating that specific issue as we speak.

I see two glaring examples of Google manipulating search results...one is legit, the other is false.

I'd like to know who died and left them in charge of the Internet.
You can probably start by thanking the Internet people at Microsoft and Yahoo for not offering a competitive search engine. Google figured out where the money would be and Microsoft is dazed and confused that their train arrived late to the rocket launch.

The more that I learn about Google, the less I use it.
Even if you don't use Google directly, you're often using it through other search engines. Staying away from GSuite or a Gmail account is helpful in keeping Google from getting a comprehensive dossier on you but it's only a little help.

Reactions: Tampa8
I guess I need to Google "Internet Search Sites" to find a new search engine... :devilish

Did anyone use AltaVista? That was my choice before Google started to dominate.

Reactions: TheKrell
Did anyone use AltaVista?
Back in the day, DEC's Altavista was the Big Kahuna. Much of the thrill was gone when DEC was acquired by Compaq in 1998 (the same year that Google was incorporated). As Altavista trailed off into the sunset, it became more of an aggregator like Metacrawler and later DuckDuckGo.

Reactions: Foxbat and TheKrell
It was popular because it was FAST. Then Google proved better algorithms and LOTS of cheap PCs can win the race.

Reactions: TheKrell
When dial-up was the order of the day, speed wasn't that much of a concern. If it took 3 seconds versus .021seconds, most wouldn't notice the difference after speed and latency took their pounds of flesh.

I added SSL certificate for my own personal weather website which is non profit public service, it's all personally funded take no donations or have any advertising but If you don't get the certificate visitors get the google warning this site may not safe.
What do you mean by "if you don't get the certificate"? Comodo certs are usually accepted everywhere.

Of course if you have "patrons" that use Google as a URL bar, that's not your site's problem.

I just visited your site both ways (by clicking the link in Firefox and through a Google search) and didn't receive any warnings.

What do you mean by "if you don't get the certificate"? Comodo certs are usually accepted everywhere.

Of course if you have "patrons" that use Google as a URL bar, that's not your site's problem.

I just visited your site both ways (by clicking the link in Firefox and through a Google search) and didn't receive any warnings.

My site now does have the SSL so no problems now. I was saying why I added certificate because prior everyone was getting a warning well before this became the new recommendation. 4 years ago visitors were already getting warnings on my site.

The solution to that problem is to not implement HTTPS. If you use HTTPS with a self-signed certificate, you'll always get warnings as there are no guarantees that your certificate is secure (i.e. not installed by someone who hacked your server).

That's why Lets Encrypt was started: so people who wanted to implement HTTPS on their site could do so without having to pay relatively big money to Thawte or Comodo every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)