I am jumping Ship!!

rkulpajr

Original poster
Jan 2, 2005
Well I finally took the plung. I signed up with comcast, they come Wednesday for the install. I will be getting all their digital channels, HBO, and Showtime, All my networks in HD along with Discovery, InHD, ESPN, and TNT (added June 1). I also will be getting a two tuner HD-DVR. All this for $49.99 a month for the first year then $64.99 for the second year.

I hope i did not make a mistake. I will let everyone know how the PQ is on Wed.

:)

Good for you! What do you want a congratulations? This is the DISH forum, not the cable forum.....

Ok. So, the person is just stating that they are leaving Dish, in a DISH forum. Not all posts here need to be pro Dish. Don't get your panties is a wad.. Personally, I signed up with Dish a little over a month ago and the picture quality totally SUX! I hope you like Comcast because I miss my Time Warner... The $60 saving a month is nice though... But, as soon as they make me a deal to switch back I'm gone..

Trooper, out of curiousity what receiver(s) and TV sets do you have hooked up to Dish? Because I came from Comcast and I saw an improvement (fairly drastic) in picture quality. I'm well aware that picture quality can vary from cable provider to provider, hell even with the same provider on a location by location basis. And I have heard from some folks that their cable provider has a better picture quality than Dish. But it's not often that I hear from somebody that Dish's picture quality 'sux'.

Our picture quality with Dish steadily declined from the day we signed up two and a half years ago. When we moved into the new place that came with free cable through Adelphia (soon to be Time Warner) I waited to see if the picture quality was better than Dish and it was. From what I've seen with Time Warner we'll get 20 new channels we don't presently recieve for basically the same amount of money. We are getting a HDTV this summer and don't see any lack of HD programming with them either. With 16 channels and having all the major network locals I can't complain.

We had a DVR 510 when we left Dish Network. The cancellation process was a damned nightmare. Before the cancellation process I was willing to go back to Dish if they fixed the PQ issues and had the international channels my wife would be interested in also. After the hell we went through to cancel though it'll be a cold day in hell before I went back with them.

HokieEngineer said:
Dont let the door hit ya where god split ya!!! :yes
ho ho ha ha hoo hoo. :haha

Did you make that up by yourself? I'm surprised nobody has ever said something similar whenever someone posts that they're leaving Dish for cable or D*. :rolleyes:

In your above version, shouldn't it be followed by a "git r done"?

Easy now....

I think it's funny the number of people making the effort to come back and let everyone know they're cancelling service. Thanks, I guess, for the heads up.

I understand Dish Network is not for everyone. But if you want to leave I just don't get the grand exit :confused: , unless there was something in particular you want everyone to watch out for.

Usually, the evil defectors are merely offering the information for those that might find it usefull. Nothing wrong with that.

I'm sure that the many posts from these traitorous scum have actually persuaded others to try it, who may have otherwise remained with E*, because they didn't realize that there were other options for them that were as affordable, or had more programming (HD or otherwise), or offered the Internationals that they thought were only available on E*.

I myself, am leaving for Comcast, and only returning to Dish later in the year because of SBC's Home Media Portal. If it wasn't for that, and the new Voom HD channels, I probably would consider staying with C*. (Although, I won't be able to fully judge until I've had the 6412 and C* service for a while. I have no emotional attachment to ANY utility company.)

So, if members want to post about their experiences leaving Dish for Cable or DirecTV, they should go right ahead. The more information, the better.

GaryPen said:
...So, if members want to post about their experiences leaving Dish for Cable or DirecTV, they should go right ahead. The more information, the better.
Yep, there's no shortage of cable and D* bashers either.

GaryPen said:
Usually, the evil defectors are merely offering the information for those that might find it usefull. Nothing wrong with that.

I'm sure that the many posts from these traitorous scum have actually persuaded others to try it, who may have otherwise remained with E*, because they didn't realize that there were other options for them that were as affordable, or had more programming (HD or otherwise), or offered the Internationals that they thought were only available on E*.

I myself, am leaving for Comcast, and only returning to Dish later in the year because of SBC's Home Media Portal. If it wasn't for that, and the new Voom HD channels, I probably would consider staying with C*. (Although, I won't be able to fully judge until I've had the 6412 and C* service for a while. I have no emotional attachment to ANY utility company.)

So, if members want to post about their experiences leaving Dish for Cable or DirecTV, they should go right ahead. The more information, the better.

Completely agree. Heck, I've worked for E* for over 3 years and only recently signed up for programming when I went HD. I didn't see the point in paying for TV (cable comes with my rent) but I wanted as much HD as I could get for the money. If I got a better deal somewhere else you can bet I'd be out. It's all about #1, I don't owe E* anything, subscriber wise.

E* bashers do seem to outnumber D* bashers by a wide margin. Probably just a coincedence though. ;)

The high number of Cable bashers is probably due to their history of greed and poor service. We can thank the DBS industry for shaking up the fat and bloated Cable glutton, and getting them out to the gym to slim down and firm up.

While many local cable systems still suck, the big cable companies are attempting to provide better value in many of their service areas with better hardware, PQ, programming, HD offerings, and lower pricing. Gotta give 'em credit where credit is due.

I may become a Cable basher, myself. But, I won't know until I check it out. I do know that Comcast in my local area is a better value than Dish on paper. But, the proof will be in the pudding. I have my big wooden spoon all ready!

GaryPen said:
While many local cable systems still suck, the big cable companies are attempting to provide better value in many of their service areas with better hardware, PQ, programming, HD offerings, and lower pricing. Gotta give 'em credit where credit is due.
I give them some credit, sure. Slowly, grudgingly being pulled into the 1990's, prodded by the competition of DBS operators.

But DBS (E*, D*) have to get the credit for offering the greater value to the greater number of potential customers. Cable companies operate in protected areas under limited oversight by local government. The DBS operators are raw capitalists, operating on supply-and-demand prinicples. High risk, high reward.

The expenses and risks taken by the DBS operators are huge compared to the cable co's. Local service nationwide, satellite design launch and operation. A cable co. can build it's network incrementally, block by block, city by city. But a satellite launch is a one-time, hit or miss operation.

So yes, there are some savings involved in being a DBS operator, but the risks are so much higher that there must be some padding in the revenue stream for contingencies. Am I upset with E* for charging an extra $.50 per channel for 10 new HD channels? No, not really.

I'll pay $5 for 10 extra movie channels ANY day of the week, SD or otherwise. The fact that they are in HD ratchets my reaction up to unmitigated glee.........

Hey, Charlie, I'll give you another $5 for the other 11 AND I'll offer another $5 for the other ones we are missing (Universal, ESPN2 HD, Playboy HD, etc.....)

GaryPen said:
E* bashers do seem to outnumber D* bashers by a wide margin. Probably just a coincedence though. ;)

The high number of Cable bashers is probably due to their history of greed and poor service. We can thank the DBS industry for shaking up the fat and bloated Cable glutton, and getting them out to the gym to slim down and firm up.

I may become a Cable basher, myself. But, I won't know until I check it out. I do know that Comcast in my local area is a better value than Dish on paper. But, the proof will be in the pudding. I have my big wooden spoon all ready!
The're more E bashers because there are more D subscribers Dah!!!!!

mudder1310 said:
Easy now....

I think it's funny the number of people making the effort to come back and let everyone know they're cancelling service. Thanks, I guess, for the heads up.

I understand Dish Network is not for everyone. But if you want to leave I just don't get the grand exit :confused: , unless there was something in particular you want everyone to watch out for.

One has to consider several things. Considering the size and attention this forum gets people realize Dish Network employees actually frequent the site. I would dare say they get information as to why some quit and their experience they would not otherwise get from CSR's. Second, potential customers. They have the right to know why a present subscriber is not satisfied with the service or cost thereof. Telling people why you left in the appropriate forums not only in this site butothers as well is effective in that regard. Finally, as already mentioned, the customer that is "on the fence" so to speak. It lets them know they are not the only ones having difficulty getting replacement equipment, quality of the equipment, or the same in regards to service and support. It also shows the pricing and available options for compitition for similar services.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with that in my opinion. If you don't have the same problems that the person that's leaving has then hooray for you. But don't kick emm in the ass for leaving because they choose to no drink the Kool-Aid Charlie or whomever is selling anymore. For damn sure don't get pissy when a potential or on the fence customer asks why they should leave or join and someone that has left gives their opinion either. If no one were allowed to do that then salesmen would have sold record numbers of the farked up Pinto. Balanced information is the best information to have when making a potential purchase of any magnitude.

Not new Voom Movie Chanels

BobMurdoch said:
I'll pay $5 for 10 extra movie channels ANY day of the week, SD or otherwise. The fact that they are in HD ratchets my reaction up to unmitigated glee.........

Hey, Charlie, I'll give you another $5 for the other 11 AND I'll offer another $5 for the other ones we are missing (Universal, ESPN2 HD, Playboy HD, etc.....)

There are Not 10 new Voom Movie Chanels. at best there are 2 one Monsters and the other classics.

Most Dish bashers are just pissed cause they screwed the pooch and left early. With the 942 out now and rocking anything anyone else has not to mention the actual leader in HD they just feel smaller now I suppose. ;)

I tried cable for 6 hours, in my case, compared to Dish, it sucked, 2 seconds between channel changes, HD was HD light. It was cheaper. In my case, cable was not as good, had it been better, probably would have swapped, but it's hard to take Cable camping, Dish is just a tripod away !