I am leaving dish

aboz

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
Rochester,NY
I honestly got fed up paying $150/mo and a soon to be increase. I called my cable company. They are going to give me the AEP equivialent and 4 revievers for $80/mo and the price is locked for 2 years reguardless of price increases. Now I am aware that I am giving up some advanced things like HD channels, but the ones I watch they carry so it's a wash, but I will miss the 622 as it is a superior machine no doubt, but for 1/2 the price who cares. However, after 2 years I will re-evaluate the situation and probably be back. I will continue to support this site and everyone here because you guys are the best!

thanks!

We just did the same thing. Digital Cable, Starz Pak, 10mps internet and phone for $75/month 2 years. They are even paying upfront the disconnect fee for Directv! We were paying $75/month for phone and internet before. So, we could not pass this up.

Hope all works out well for you on cable.

Just curious as to what cable company gave you that deal. I may just call Comcast and ask.

iafirebuff - Mediacom must be hurting worse than I thought with a deal like that. Their HD offering isn't good enough for me. Plus no BTN or NFL Network.

It will take quite a bit and a lot of changes at Mediacom before I ever go back.

Jeesh I wish that Charter had a deal like that, they just bumped up the triple play price to $129.99 as of next month effectively ending the $99 triple play that was actually $109.99 and then changed to $124.99. Theres no other cable provider where Im at as Im in a monopoly county.

Oh you know what this shows though, it shows that even at a price that low and with all that equipment that the cable companies are still making a profit on such a low price.

Comcast has the increased triple play in my area as well... for me to drop dish for them I'd pay $50 for an install and then $50 more a month for the triple... even after an increase and thats without adding DVR or HD to my triple play which would add $21 to my bill.

Yeah I think everyone will see a price increase in the next month or so no matter who you get your service from.

In my area TWC is offering the triple play for $29.95 for each service. They don't say how long the introductory price lasts - typically it is 6 months. For now Dish plus Verizon POTS and DSL is a better deal for my needs. With Fios coming soon that equation could change though.

Best of luck to you with cable. I left cable in 1997 because Adelphia was terrible in my area. I am not convinced that TWC had done any better since they took over.

In my area, the cable company *would* be cheaper for what I use. But, they are way behind on HD. This is why I switched.

Also, my HD channels would drop out for a few seconds here and there quite regularly on cable. Three appointments could not fix it -- each time they replaced something THEY installed previously and then tried to charge me for internal wiring maintenance. I get no such dropouts on Dish.

TWC in my area just announced a 3-6% increase. That would bring my old bill to about $115. When my free DishHD goes away, I will be paying about $90. Plus, their DVR sucks and they don't have nearly as many HD channels. They will suck you in for a year or 2 with special pricing, but it really is not worth it IMHO.

Ted

Just curious as to what cable company gave you that deal. I may just call Comcast and ask.
dont call comcrap there introductory prices are great but then you get raped
i have 2 6412hddvrs with comcast with a compirable pack to my dish account minus centrer ice and i pay 150 month for comcraptv and 120 for *ish with nhlci

i pay 12.95 per month per dvr in dvr fees to comcrap and they are the clunkiest irds out there, and believe it our not the software on the 6412 is far worse then any 811 update *ish did by example

We have Cox in our area and their promotions rarely last more than 2 months. Occasionally, you can find a 6 month deal on internet (I recently finished up a 6 month deal for $29.99 a month, 7mbps service, then it went to $41.95).

The OP's triple-deal type things really sounds pretty nice. Especially with him being able to price lock for 2 years.

I'd jump for a deal like that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts