I am tired of waiting... I have a "moving" question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

BrownHound

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 19, 2004
Amherst, VA
I really was hoping to have local HD in Lynchburg by the time March Madness started on CBS, but it looks like that wont happen.... I have been skeptical to consider "moving" to get Local HD, because it just seemed odd, and I dont fully understand things like "spotbeams" and I dont know 129 from 61 (or whatever) :)

My questions are these:

1. Being in Lynchburg, can I move to a Washington DC address and get the locals? or would Richmond be better?

2. Do they make any contact with the address I am moving to? Can I keep my mailing (billing) address the same?

3.. Would I be able to move back in 3 or 4 week (or 3 or 4 months) when they finally turn the Lynchburg locals back on?

So basically, I can just tell them that I have moved to an address in the DC area for a period of time for work. I have already set up the dish and have it working properly and I need them to swith my local programming....

Is there anything I am leaving out or that I need to consider?

I obviously dont know what i am doing and dont want to goof something up. Thanks!

I really was hoping to have local HD in Lynchburg by the time March Madness started on CBS, but it looks like that wont happen.... I have been skeptical to consider "moving" to get Local HD, because it just seemed odd, and I dont fully understand things like "spotbeams" and I dont know 129 from 61 (or whatever) :)

My questions are these:

1. Being in Lynchburg, can I move to a Washington DC address and get the locals? or would Richmond be better?

Currently there are no HD locals available in the VA area on 129W unless you want to move to Indianapolis which is temporarily on a ConUS (nationwide) beam. It's on a wobbly satellite currently so given your location I probably wouldn't recommend doing so. There are several HD locals on ConUS on 118.7W but you probably don't have a Dish 1000 Plus antenna that is needed to receive 118.7. That leaves 61.5W for your options, but you need an antenna pointed at 61.5W. What dish antenna do you have currently? There are lots of markets on spotbeam 5 that covers a large swath of the east coast, including Richmond, Philly, Baltimore, Washington, D.C., etc. Go to the link below, scroll down the Beam column to Area 5 Beam to see all the markets available:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/thelist/index.php?search=dn61?=true&sort=BEAM&order=

Look back across to the Transponder column to see what transponder the market is on. Next go to your point dish screen (menu 6-1-1), change the satellite to 61.5 and the transponder o whatever transponder number matches the market you want from the list, and then see what signal strength you get. You likely can receive any of those markets if you have a dish pointing at 61.5.

2. Do they make any contact with the address I am moving to? Can I keep my mailing (billing) address the same?

No. Just do the move using the online chat feature. You need to keep your billing address the same as it currently is. I would also do autopay automatic billing if you aren't currently doing so. You can get Cinemax for 1 cent per year by doing so.

3.. Would I be able to move back in 3 or 4 week (or 3 or 4 months) when they finally turn the Lynchburg locals back on?

yes

So basically, I can just tell them that I have moved to an address in the DC area for a period of time for work. I have already set up the dish and have it working properly and I need them to swith my local programming....

yes

Is there anything I am leaving out or that I need to consider?

I obviously dont know what i am doing and dont want to goof something up. Thanks!

If you have a tech problem that need a service call or they have to ship a new receiver, you'll have to quickly move back home because they will definitely think your are located at the service address. Tell them to change your service address but leave the billing address alone. They sometimes mess this up which is why I suggested you use autopay and paperless billing just in case.

Laddyboy---

thanks for the detailed info...

I think i have the Dish 1000, I am not sure what satellites it points to, i will check when I get home tonight.

Thanks again

A Dish 1000 will point to 110, 119 and 129. A dish 1000+ (plus) will add 118.7 to that list.

There are some HD locals conus on 77 too, in addition to whatever spots on 61.5 that you might be in.

Does dish keep a record of moves?

IF they do they haven't stopped me from "moving". Since 2003 I have "moved" from Nederland,Tx to Hatfield ,Arkansas( when Little Rock locals were on conus beam) back to Houston , then Nederland and again back to Houston. Sometimes I made a couple of moves within days of each other. They don't care as long as you pay for the locals. Now don't tell them what you are really doing , or they won't let you move. There are rules that the sat companies have to comply with and one of them is to not "knowingly" sell locals from out of area markets to their subs. Knowingly being the key word. Don't tell and they won't ask.

So really I dont have any options to "move" to then, correct?

Buy a Dish 500 with DP Dual lnb, point at 61.5 or 77 and feed it into the LNB In port of your 1000.2. You also can try moving to Indy. It's on 129W Transponder 5 iirc. It's ConUS so if you can receive T5 at decent SS, you can get it. It's missing one of the Big 4. I don't remember which one.

Another stupid question..... when they finally do get locals in Lynchburg, will they put them on a satellite that a dish 1000 can see?

Seems odd that Lynchburg and Richmond would be on different systems.

Another stupid question..... when they finally do get locals in Lynchburg, will they put them on a satellite that a dish 1000 can see?

Seems odd that Lynchburg and Richmond would be on different systems.

Both will eventually be on 129. Richmond is also on 61.5 but there isn't room on that satellite for everyone on the east coast, so the other markets will be on 129 apparently along with some of the ones already on 61.5, space permitting.

Note that 61.5 HD spotbeams are significantly smaller than the SD spotbeams on 110 and 119, so you may not be able get all of the markets mentioned above.

Use your Point Dish screen to determine which spot transponders (1 - 15 odd only) get you a decent signal, then use The List to determine which HD locals correspond to that transponder.

actually just checked and I have a Dish 500 system....

That just sees 110 and 129, right? Knowing that, the only option I have is Indiapolis, right?

oh well, that sucks.....

No. Dish 500 sees 110 and 119, not 129.

So when they finally do turn on Lynchburg HD locals, they will have to change the dish... as it appears they are going up on 129. If so, this will make the 3rd time they have had to come out...

One thing that confuses me is I swear I used to get a message that says "Congratulations you have a Dish 1000 system" now it say that I have a 500 system...

when I look at the setup menu on the installation screen, it locks on 110 with a signal strength of 61, locks on 119 W with a strength of 46, and it locks on 129W with a strength of 55. All the others dont lock and says "wrong sat - Echostar 119 W". I also can pick up the channel that says:

"Congratulations! you are pointed at the 129 orbital location"

I am completely confused...... by the way, I really appreciate all the help from the experts on this board.

I am a frequent reader and am a big fan of this forum!!! Thanks to all for the help!

Ok you have a Dish 1000 or a Dish 500 looking at 110 and 119 and a Dish 300 looking at 129. Either 2 of the combinations have given you the ability to look at 110 119 and 129. "Move" to Indianapolis and enjoy HD networks while they last on conus.

FYI Great post, but I have had them send equipt. to my mailing address vs. the service or "moved" to address with no problem. One time the screwed up and sent it to the "move" address, but UPS called me and I got them to send it.

How do I tell if spotbeam 31 will be ok? Do i just go to the 6-1-1 screen and move the sat to 129 and the beam to 31 and see if it locks???

What reading do I need to get?

I just checked the 6-1-1 and moved the sat to 129 and changed the TP to 31 and it locked with a 55....

Or should I be checking TP 11? I may be getting the transponder and spotbeams confused.

I am just wondering if I can get the Tri Cities VA HD locals? the Maps on this list show that it may be close.

Thanks again for helping a novice.

I just checked the 6-1-1 and moved the sat to 129 and changed the TP to 31 and it locked with a 55....

Or should I be checking TP 11? I may be getting the transponder and spotbeams confused.

I am just wondering if I can get the Tri Cities VA HD locals? the Maps on this list show that it may be close.

Thanks again for helping a novice.

Always the transponder number, in this case T11 on 129W. Adjoining spotbeam areas use different transponder numbers so potential interference is reduced. Thus if you get a good signal strength on 11, you should be good to go for Tri Cities.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)