I broke the glass on my Ipad....options?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

smokey982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
Cleveland, TN (Chattanooga Market)
I laid my ipad on the bathroom counter and it obviously was sitting to close to the edge. Next thing I know......SPLAT!! Face down on my tile floor. Everything seems to be working, but different sections of the glass has been shattered. Has anyone tried there luck on repairs from someone other than Apple? We have a store in town that sells cell phones and has a repair shop in the back. I was told they can repair it but I'm waiting on the guy to call me back. I'm just a little nervous about someone other than Apple working on it. How precise a job would it be to replace the glass?

I'd say bring it to a local Apple store and see what they say. If you don't like what they tell you then start shopping around.

Just get it done at apple, Ive had friends take it to other cheaper options and its always come back not working or looking really bad... In one case the whole outside was scratched where they clamped it down.

I have know people to bring it to the Apple store to hand it to the clerk and have the clerk take a look at it then punch up the customers email address on his tablet then go in the back and get a new iPad and hand it to them and tell them thanks for shopping at Apple and that it was a one time courtesy.

Wow. I'll have to remember that. I guess when you're making the big bucks you can do that!

I have know people to bring it to the Apple store to hand it to the clerk and have the clerk take a look at it then punch up the customers email address on his tablet then go in the back and get a new iPad and hand it to them and tell them thanks for shopping at Apple and that it was a one time courtesy.

Yep. I have seen the exact same thing as well.

I laid my ipad on the bathroom counter and it obviously was sitting to close to the edge. Next thing I know......SPLAT!! Face down on my tile floor.

I wonder how many people are going to do the same thing today?! Honey, it looks like I may need a new iPad! ;)

Sorry! Couldn't resist! :D

This.

Edit: or your ipad took its own life so you would have to buy the new iPad3....dont let your ipad have taken its life in vain.

I wonder how many people are going to do the same thing today? Honey, it looks like I need a new iPad! ;)

Sorry! Couldn't resist! :D

Reminds me of the commercial of the guy trying to flush dog food and everything else trying to break the commode, and his wife walks in. Least that is how I think I remember it, maybe it was the other way around. :D:D

I laid my ipad on the bathroom counter and it obviously was sitting to close to the edge. Next thing I know......SPLAT!! Face down on my tile floor. Everything seems to be working, but different sections of the glass has been shattered.

My wife did the same thing except it landed on the edge and caved it in and also broke the glass. Went to the Apple store and explained what happened and he said as a one time courtesy, Apple would replace it. Went in the back and returned with a referb that looked perfect, no charge and we did not have the Applecare warranty.

I would be ecstatic if they replaced it for free. Trust me, it took me too long to save the money for this one. The last thing I would do is break it for an excuse to get a 3. As a matter of fact. If the cost to repair this one is too high then I'll probably be using it the way it is for a while.

About a year ago someone published an article exposing the unofficial "Apple is Awesome" policy. I've been a recipient of this program on a number of occasions. But I never went in with the expectation of walking out with a newer piece of Apple gear.

smokey982 said:
I would be ecstatic if they replaced it for free. Trust me, it took me too long to save the money for this one. The last thing I would do is break it for an excuse to get a 3. As a matter of fact. If the cost to repair this one is too high then I'll probably be using it the way it is for a while.

I am sure you would be ecstatic - I know I would be. :)

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

That happened to me. My iPad 2 had a 5 inch scratch across the top of it that didn't affect functionality nor was it very deep but damn it was noticeable. One of those instances where you couldn't take your eyes off it. Anyways I brought it in and they took it to the back to snoop around the thing and then they came out with a new iPad 2 and mentioned they were annoyed by the scratch as well and would do a "1 time switch."

One note is that if your device is jail broken, undo it, because they will look for it even if you have a completely physical/cosmetic problem. They looked for it on mine, and luckily I hid it well enough. :)

Well I tried my luck today by going to my nearest Apple store (1 hour drive) to see about my broken iPad. And just as figured would happen before I ever left, no free replacement for me. I was quoted $350 by the first Apple employee I talked to and I told him I would probably pass for now (it's still works, it's just ugly). But I had some time to think about it because the couple that went with my wife and I ended up buying a new iPad while they were there. So after a half hour or so we decided to just fix the thing and be done with it. Once I actually talked to a technician, he quoted me $250, which eased the pain somewhat. As he was doing the paperwork I casually mentioned that I had read several instances online where people had there iPads replaced as a one time courtesy from Apple and that I had my fingers crossed hoping for the same thing. He said that was something that Apple offered back last summer but they had stopped doing it. But he did offer me the new Apple Care Plus plan that they currently offer on the new iPads which covers everything including accidental breakage. It was an extra $50 and covers my remaining warranty which is about 120 days plus another year after that. The only thing it doesn't cover is lost or stolen iPads. I figured it was probably worth the extra cash especially since I have a 9 year old that uses it as well. So.....if I break it again, I'm covered. :)