I buffer FTA with an old unsubscribed series 1 TiVo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

paulm

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 4, 2007
...because hockey is a joy to watch when you have instant replay and 30 second skip!

I have an old Philips HDR112 TiVo that I payed for month-to-month years ago. Since we opted to not have cable tv ($44 a month for basic cable??? you gotta be kidding me!) it sat in the basement collecting dust. However, once I got aimed to 93W for UND Hockey, I stuck it in between the receiver and my tv and use it for the "trick play" features.

Not all TiVos work without a subscription, but some of the older ones do: There's no guide data (I don't need any), and it nags me from time to time about it, but it works great for buffering a live stream coming in off the sat.

There are two tricks to getting it to work with FTA:

1 - trick it into giving you a channel for the av/svideo ports: this is as easy as telling it you have dish or directtv, then editing out all the channels cept for one (i picked a ppv).

2 - enable 30 second skip: Select Play Select 3 0 Select -- you'll hear "ding ding ding" and the jump ahead button will now jump 30 seconds instead of to the next 15 minute marker

It's fantastic for watching hockey: When something interesting happens, I hit the 8 second back button -- if there's a goal I like to hit it a few times then watch how the whole play unfolded. The FSSN takes 30 second commerical breaks, so the 30 second skip is great for skipping that stupid dahlstrom motors commercial.

Several years ago there was a Yahoo group with FTA remote codes and other upgrades for the 1st generation TiVo upgraded with an ethernet port.

We refurbished 10k+ TiVo 1's five years ago and they were very popular sellers!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts