I did it... ordered Comcast

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I made the call prior to be leaving for my international trip. For the record....this sucks. I will see how Comcast is. I was with Directv prior to Voom and I don't have the stomach to go back....yet. During this trial effort with Comcast, I will see if I will go back to Directv for the NFL season. Good Luck everyone.

Mike

P.S. Is there a Comcast forum........ ;(

Walter L. said:
For me the only bad thing about going Comcast is that most likely, TNT-HD, won't be avaible in my area by April 24th when the NBA-playoffs start. I'll be covered until the 30th with VOOM, but then it will be TNT in analog SD until TNT-HD comes :(. Hopefully, it will be before the semi-finals.

I hope Ken H is right about the 24th, watching all those play-off games last year was great, watching the Pistons win it in HD on a 9-foot screen made even my wife happy for once that I spent all that money on the projector.

Went back to Adelphia since their measly 12 HD channels and low-cost HD DVRs beat the heck out of anything E* or D* offer; HD-Little, HD-Lite. For the next 12 months $126.75, plus tax, gets me their whole ball of wax, plus 3 SA8300HD DVRs, plus 4Mb broadband Internet.

It's very sad that Cable is the better, more complete, less-expensive HD provider than E* or D*. I don't need to pay several hundred dollar$ to Charlie or Rupert for their soon-to-be-outdated MPEG-2 receivers in order to receive...what?, a half-dozen channel of HD-Lite. 2005 is going to be a SUCK year for HD when VOOM is gone. Thank goodness for the Broadcast Networks, Thank goodness for Cable providing a low-cost HD DVR, and thank God for VOOM.

jgantert said:
The lower channels (2-99) are still broadcast in ANALOG. It all depends on how many boxes that cable runs thru to get to your house. I'm in a 1970's neighborhood that hasn't been upgraded (we have serious power issues because of the underground wires failing). So, I'm expecting cr*p for the analog channels.

If you get Comcast digital cable, here's a tip for better SD quality (well, better in my opinion):

1. Turn the power to the Motorola box off from the Remote Control.
2. Press the Setup button
3. Set the 4:3 override option to 480i
4. Run an S-Video or Composite cable from the Motorola box to your TV.

Now, when you watch an SD channel, the box will send out in "native" mode (as it was on Voom). If you switch your TV's input to the S-Video or Composite connection, the SD picture should look much better than if it is going through the DVI or Component.

One issue to be aware of: If you switch to an HD channel while you're watching the S-Video input on your TV, you will not see any overlayed menus from the digital cable box/DVR. The menus will be there if you switch back to the DVI or Component input, but for some reason these Motorola boxes cannot overlay their menus onto an HD channel being "down-converted" to 480i on an S-Video or composite output.

Enjoy.

Jeff

I also ordered Comcast today.

I ordered the Digital Platinum Package which is normally $96.99 a month - I got it for $79.00 for the first year.

I Requested 2 HDVRs that are $9.95 each a month - They gave me the 2 DVRs free of charge for a year.

I believe the two STBs will cost me $5.00 each a month.

The HD package is $5 a month.

The installation is free and will be installed the 29th.

It was tough to admit that our beloved Voom is really dead but I too just placed the call to Comcast (Pottstown, PA area). My install takes place on Saturday the 16th.

I asked for the DISH "Win Back" program and am thus saving $40 a month for 16 months and $15 a month after that. They did not even ask who my Sat provider is. I signed up for the Platinum package with the discounts broke down as follows.

1. $25 dollar credit for 16 months with free installation.
2. $15 dollar monthly reduction in my cable modem bill.

Even though I already use Comcast internet, the CSR plugged in a code as a new cable modem sub which gives me a few more dollars off for 3 months. Note that the first CSR I spoke with was completely clueless so I hung up and called back.

The DVR fee is $9.99 per month for a dual tuner HDTV DVR. I have never had a DVR before so this will be a plus. As one poster mentioned, being able to watch HD when you want to does offset having fewer HD channels. I also gain the benefit of VOD. There is no additional monthly charge for the other two HD STB's with the package I selected. So, I am looking at $108 per month with all the premium channels, cable modem, 1 dvr, and 2 HD STBs. It is actually a savings versus my current combined Voom and cable modem bill.

In terms of HD programming I will have
- ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, WB, FOX
- ESPN,
- Comcast Sportsnet
- Discovery Theater
- INHD
- INHD2
- Showtime HD (East Only)
- Starz HD (East Only)
- Cinemax HD (East Only)
- HBO HD (East Only)

No, it is not Voom but I guess it will have to do until some other provider catches up. At the moment, the other Sat providers offer no compelling advantage over cable. Comcast came up the clear winner in terms of price, overall content, and HD lineup. Where I live, the PQ is as good or better than E*.

Guys

I'm going to have to go with Time Warner Cable until someone comes out as the HD provider of choice.

One problem I've heard of in the San Antonio area is that is you go with Time Warner and choose the HD DVR, they have electronically deactivated the DVI output on the box. This forces you to go with composite as your best output. If you just get the HD STB, you get a DVI output. I think they are trying to combat piracy or some such thing.

I'm a bit picky about connectivity always want the best so this would make me not choose the HD DVR.

Anywhere else in the country where they disable the DVI output on the HD DVR?

It looks like my area (Portland) won't get TNT-HD on time for the NBA-playoffs. A local Comcast-insider (at AVSForum) has confirmed that he heard about the TNT-HD carriage deal, however, he also said that they don't have any local capacity to add it :(. I'm almost about to cancel my Comcast installation and get E* instead. :mad:

Walter L. said:
It looks like my area (Portland) won't get TNT-HD on time for the NBA-playoffs. A local Comcast-insider (at AVSForum) has confirmed that he heard about the TNT-HD carriage deal, however, he also said that they don't have any local capacity to add it :(. I'm almost about to cancel my Comcast installation and get E* instead. :mad:

That would just be jumping from the frying pan into the fire.

Amphicar770 said:
That would just be jumping from the frying pan into the fire.
That's what I'm afraid of. However, I don't see any other alternative to watch the NBA-playoffs in HD. The playoffs starts on Apr 24th and TNT-HD will do 40 games including the semifinals and Eastern Finals.
Geez, I just needed VOOM to last just 1.5 months longer!!! :no

Walter L. said:

In my area, Comcast is so much better then E*, think about it hard, I have never been so happy about leaving E* to go with C*, the HD-DVR makes it worth it alone, and with InHD and 3 Baseball games a week on it in full 1080i bitrate, just wow.

Boy, am I glad for this forum! I wouldn't have known about the "switching" offer if not for this group and you good folks. Thanks! I called comcast and will be getting their digital plus gold package (HBO & Starz) with the hd-dvr for $54.94 a month, plus the fees & taxes (csr said that would be around $3.00 more) for 16 months. That will include all their high def channels (except Showtime, and Cinemax of course) and I'll be getting the on demand feature also. I will definitely miss my Voom, I've had it since June. I told the Comcast csr that I was renting the equipment and he said that I just had to show the installer a copy of my statement. He even asked me who my satellite provider was (I only told him that I had "satellite" initially and wanted to switch to get the deal. He didn't seem to care when I told him it was Voom. Very cool.

I called Time Warner and ordered cable last night. Again, thanks to this forum, I mentioned that I was a long time satellite customer switching and they had a similar unpublished deal. I would up getting digital cable, HD STB, HD DVR, install and wiring within the house as I have never had cable in this house, all the premiums HBO, SHO, MAX, TMC, Starz, Encore, etc., on-demand, HD pack, HD Premium, HD PPV, (you get the picture) and finally my cable modem all for $104 a month including tax.

Not a bad deal and no commitment. It'll hold me until someone else comes out with the premire HD service. Thanks for the hot tip.

I am in the process of switching over to Comcast, the only caveat is that they are requiring me to give up one of my Voom boxes as a so-called "coupon" for the 50$ deal including HBO & Starz.. The problem is that I lease my 3 boxes.

I am currently scheduled for the 22nd as my install date. Should I give up one of my boxes and hope Voom doesn't collect them or tell the insallation guy that I won't give it up?

betsig250 said:
I am in the process of switching over to Comcast, the only caveat is that they are requiring me to give up one of my Voom boxes as a so-called "coupon" for the 50$ deal including HBO & Starz.. The problem is that I lease my 3 boxes.

I am currently scheduled for the 22nd as my install date. Should I give up one of my boxes and hope Voom doesn't collect them or tell the insallation guy that I won't give it up?

They want your STB???

That's BS... Someone is giving you the wrong info. Offer a copy of your Voom bill that is all you need.

I signed up for comcast before I read this thread, and if you look at my previous post I got a pretty good deal. When I mentioned voom I just said "I'm coming from VoOm, so I'm used to lots of HD" the CSR said "Yeah they had a lot of HD" I then told him that I was mainly concerned with HD offerings that Comcast will be offering in the near future and he proceeded to offer me a discount. When I told him that I wasn't finished shopping around and asked if I could call him back directly, he then offered me more discounts. None of the discounts were contingent on me being a voOm customer, and I was never once told that I needed to offer proof of being a voom subscriber.

Mind you that I throw a lot of money at them, I have broadband internet and digital telephone service through Comcast as well, and when I previously had digital cable with them it was the top tier Platinum plan so, I guess they should be kissing my ass.

betsig250 said:

Call back and tell them that you lease the VOOM hardware. I did that and they told me that all I need is a VOOM bill as proof.

Okay I can do that.. Also it just dawned on me that I have 3 older direct tv receivers sitting in my house. If they want an STB, they can have one of those..

LOL, thats what I did, gave em my 8yr old DTV STB thats sat collecting dust for a cpl yrs when I upgraded to Tivo unit. Of course the installer tried to convince me I should let him take my DTV Tivo unit instead but stuck to my guns and said no, the CSR told me to give my oldest box and thats ALL your getting hehe

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts