I did it! Signed up at Dishstore.

nyvram

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
I think my experience here is going to be much better than before. Very very nice woman I worked with.

However, I forgot to ask 2 questions in the midst of trying to digest about 400 pieces of info:

- What DVR will I get? The 722? Is it rated at what..30 hours HD recording?
- Does it support external HD? USB2? Is there still an 'activation' fee associated with adding more storage?

I got the bronze/locals/dvr for $35 + some very very nice incentives. I can swing $40ish month especially as I'm going to cancel netflix and a couple of other things I don't need.

Thanks for your help again. You guys are insane with your knowledge of all this stuff. Very overwhelming for those of us who only drop by occasionally. ;-)

Welcome to the sat world... it's addictive...you'll get 722 if you ordered HD package... ($10 extra/month). And yes, there is a fee for USB hard drive "enabling fee".

the 722 has "55" hours of HD recording. I put the 55 hours in quotes because it is actually more than that. the 55 hours is OTA. Sat has more compression so you get more show in less space.

Thanks! I'm looking forward to some ESPN HD. She has the installer coming out Sat. morning.

Any tips on that? I know I need to tell him I'm hooking up via ethernet and he/she is going to run new cable line for me because I'm using the old cable for a cable modem (paid for by work) so I have to leave that alone.

If you PM me your DISH account number I'll look it up and see what you got signed up with.

- You got the 612, unless you paid $50 to upgrade to a 722

- I know for a fact the 722 supports external storage, im pretty sure the 612 supports external storage as well (Help me out Guys). There is a one time $40 activation fee to activate external storage.

Did you talk to Carolyn or Margaret?

Claude Greiner
Dishstore.net

Margaret. I am PM-ing you my account # now.

PS Is there much difference between the 612 & 722? I'm only familiar with the 622(?) I think which we got my parents last year.

Margaret. I am PM-ing you my account # now.

PS Is there much difference between the 612 & 722? I'm only familiar with the 622(?) I think which we got my parents last year.
One of the big differences between the 612 and 622/722 is that the 612 will only feed 1 tv whereas the 622/722 will feed 2. I also believe that the 612 will not do PIP.

Geoff

You can add an external Hard Drive to ANY VIP series DVR (soon to be all VIP receivers from what I've heard), including the 612.

The 612 is a 622 in a smaller, black box instead of grey, with no TV2 capabilities. It records the same way (can watch something else while recording something else or records 2 shows at the same time while either watching one of those shows that is being recorded or something else that you previously recorded).... and 612 will not do Picture In Picture. A 612 will get you 200 hours of SD recording or 30 hours of HD recording (or mixture of both), just like a 622.

Other nice thing about a 612 is that there are not too many Remanufactured ones floating around yet... you will most likely get a brand new receiver... whereas 95% of 622s are Remans now.

One more question;

ISTR, the 622 my parents have wouldn't let you do PIP with 2 HD signals. Is that still the case? It seems like there were some limitations as far as having this capability..maybe it was switching to a secondary HDMI input while the main one was on-screen. Any idea if this is still the same way on the 722?

So, the main diffs are:

1. 612 - 30 hrs/HD vs. 55ish on 722
2. 612 has no PIP
3. 612 does not allow 'sharing' with a second tv

One more question;

ISTR, the 622 my parents have wouldn't let you do PIP with 2 HD signals. Is that still the case? It seems like there were some limitations as far as having this capability..maybe it was switching to a secondary HDMI input while the main one was on-screen. Any idea if this is still the same way on the 722?

The 622/722 certainly will do 2HD channels PIP, but you must be in single mode and use Swap to toggle between tuners. PIP between two different video sources is a function of your TV, not the 622.

Doh!

Yep, that's it. We got the TV & DISH around teh same time and I got the 2 confused. That's it. I was probably getting the "no HD on 2nd TV" part of the 622 confused.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)