I do not want a 3D TV since I do not want to have to wear glasses...

mike123abc

Too many cables
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 25, 2003
Norman, OK
Well twice over the Thanksgiving Holliday I had a conversation with relatives that were in the TV market, but they did not want a 3D TV.

Why? Because they were under the impression you had to wear glasses to watch TV. No, not a 3D movie, but to watch TV at all!

I quickly assured them that they never had to wear the glasses unless they wanted to watch something in 3D.

If it was just once I would have thought nothing of it, but when 2 different relatives that were from different areas thought the same thing, I wonder if it is a more prevalent belief.

Maybe 3D has scared away too many potential buyers because they think they have to wear glasses all the time to watch TV?

Sounds similar to people buying an HDTV and thinking they are watching hd when they are watching sd.:)

mainstream ppl are clueless about most technology. Knowledge of science and technology have taken a backseat to reality shows, obesity, and plug and play.

i am in the HVAC industry and you would be amazed at how many people have no idea how to effectively use or interpret a simple residential thermostat. I had a lady one time say..."There is dirt on this air filter"....i replied "yes the filter is doing its job. it is trapping dust and dirt from the air"..she says "i dont want to see dirt on this"...i am thinking omg! what a $&@!@&! idiot!

Whenever we have to replace our living room TV (hopefully not for another 5 years or so) I'll probably get one that has 3D capability, but I doubt we will watch a lot in 3D. The glasses give my wife a headache.

Well twice over the Thanksgiving Holliday I had a conversation with relatives that were in the TV market, but they did not want a 3D TV.

Why? Because they were under the impression you had to wear glasses to watch TV. No, not a 3D movie, but to watch TV at all!

I quickly assured them that they never had to wear the glasses unless they wanted to watch something in 3D.

If it was just once I would have thought nothing of it, but when 2 different relatives that were from different areas thought the same thing, I wonder if it is a more prevalent belief.

Maybe 3D has scared away too many potential buyers because they think they have to wear glasses all the time to watch TV?

I can assure you that the older generation won't give you an argument when it comes to HDTV. They love it. I gave one to my mother for Christmas. Another reason why the change from SD to HDTV is nothing like the switchover to 3d TV.

Last edited:
I haven't run into the misconception that when you buy a 3D hdtv you have to wear glasses for non 3D programming but I understand how that is possible. Most people I know are tech savvy. But my recent work with the people at Lens Crafters to make prescription 3D shutter glasses, I discovered were all totally ignorant about the different types of glasses for 3D. In about 10 minutes, I got them all up to speed on how it works. I would have thought people in the glasses business would be up on this stuff. Nice it is a mutual educating process as they taught me quite a bit about how glasses are made that I never knew before.

I think it won't be long before you will not have the option on 3D. That is, all HDTV's will be 3D capable, either with an add-on emitter for active glasses or passive polar equipped screen. However, I don't think we will ever see a time when ALL TV is 3D.

With active shutter glasses, getting headaches is quite common but as I understand this may also indicate other eye heath issues that should be checked out. The shuttering does exacerbate vision trouble that otherwise is tolerated. One friend of mine was shopping for a new HDTV and became interested in 3D but discovered he had trouble seeing 3D and the longer he strained to see it began to develop headaches. He went for an eye exam and discovered he was developing cataracts and had developed Age Macular Degeneration. He won't be buying a new TV now but is scheduled for surgery one eye is done and getting ready to do the second. AMD is being treated with diet and a medication that is injected into the eye. More common among those with good eye health is fatigue from using active shutter glasses over a lengthy period of time. Polar glasses should not cause any discomfort at all anymore than wearing sunglasses.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)