I don't mean to hurt anyone's feelling..

It would make an interesting poll to see who would dump Dish over Direct or vice-versa on the issue of local HD alone! I have to say being with Dish for over ten years that would probably be the "last straw" for me if Direct offered my locals in HD and Dish did not. Currently neither one provides it.

This is my last post on the subject. Last night I could not watch Cowboys vs. Eagles in HD because the wife was recording "housewives and brothers & sisters". My son has direct and had no problem. Enough said.

The thing is I could live in a market with HD locals on DishNetwork and DirecTV. If I had either service would you catch me with HD locals from my market? Nope. I'd move in heartbeat to have a whole other set of locals for backup reasons when my DMA has technical issues.

The thing is I could live in a market with HD locals on DishNetwork and DirecTV. If I had either service would you catch me with HD locals from my market? Nope. I'd move in heartbeat to have a whole other set of locals for backup reasons when my DMA has technical issues.

Well I just broke my promise but "BINGO"

I guess everyone wants everything, and that may or may not ever happen.

I'm in Erie, PA no HD options. I "moved" to Cleveland so I wouldn't spend $50 at a bar on Sundays to watch the Browns because Erie is a Buffalo Bills market (even though about 5% of Erie football fans are Bill's fans).

I would love for Dish to carry Cleveland's locals in HD (Direct TV does). But the trade off is that D* does not carry the NFL Network or Sportstime Ohio (Indians games)

A lot of people are lucky being able to get everything they want. Some, like myself get what's most important to them.

But I will still hammer E* to get Cleveland's locals in HD considering that they are the largest market without HD from E*.

This is my last post on the subject. Last night I could not watch Cowboys vs. Eagles in HD because the wife was recording "housewives and brothers & sisters". My son has direct and had no problem. Enough said.

Couldn't you have just switched to the ATSC tuner in your Toshiba 72MX195 for the game in HD? I realize it's a bit of a pain but, it works great for me when I have conflicts.

There are times (most nights) that I want to record multiple network shows. Austin does NOT have HD LIL on Dish, yet.

I just have to pick & choose till they put them up.

I'm really happy with OTA and Dish. It's a great combo for me that serves all my needs. The only thing I wish is that the 622 had a second OTA tuner. I have to record The Office in SD since the wife needs her Grey's Anatomy in HD. Two OTA tuners would solve my only real issue.

I'm really happy with OTA and Dish. It's a great combo for me that serves all my needs. The only thing I wish is that the 622 had a second OTA tuner. I have to record The Office in SD since the wife needs her Grey's Anatomy in HD. Two OTA tuners would solve my only real issue.

Wouldn't "moving" to a city with locals in HD solve this problem for you too? Then you could record 3 network shows in HD. I'm thinking about "moving" for this reason.

Wouldn't "moving" to a city with locals in HD solve this problem for you too? Then you could record 3 network shows in HD. I'm thinking about "moving" for this reason.
Yes and this is exactly what many people do (people did it in the past so they could get local networks and others did it so they could get their favorite sports team's games).

Couple of things to remember:
1) Move to a city that has HD locals (a guy here couldn't figure out why he couldn't get the HD locals from some city in Texas that he just "moved" to when Dish didn't offer them in the first place).

2) Make sure the HD locals are offered on a satellite you're already looking at (unless you can add the necessary dish).

3) It's probably a wise idea to "move" to a city in the same time zone.

Another thing to note is your SD receivers will probably lose their locals since most of the SD locals are spotbeamed.

The only markets I can think of off hand where the HD and SD locals(4 networks only) are CONUS is:

Chicago
Denver
New York

I think that's what I'm going to end up doing. I'm only 2.5 hours south of Chicago, and I'd love to have their locals anyway. I used a local installer to put everything in, so I'm also not worried about service calls, since I'm going to call the local guy directly over the Dish 800 number.

I tried running it past the wife once, and she was worried it was kind of a morally gray area and didn't want something coming back on her since it's her name on the account. But at worst, I think they would just take the channels away some day right? There's no real legal ramifications to doing it?

Another thing to note is your SD receivers will probably lose their locals since most of the SD locals are spotbeamed.

The only markets I can think of off hand where the HD and SD locals(4 networks only) are CONUS is:

Chicago
Denver
New York

Is that the same for my TV2 hooked up to my 722 or will it still see the locals? I can always hook up my OTA antenna to TV2.

I have had the oportunity for the last few days to assist in the hook up of a Directv 5LNB dish to a Samsung 52"LCD. The receiver is the "new" HR21-700. One thing that was very clear from the start was that the new receiver does not have a OTA input. At this moment their local's are not re-broadcast in HD but they were promised they would be by the end of the month. I don't know wheather it was the receiver or the tv but the sd picture was very, very poor. I had been thinking about Direct but the whole experience with the HR-21 has made me think again. Just my 2 cents.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)