I dont understand Dish (Hopper hard disk died, customer service adventures)

Faw

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
Bayamon, Puerto Rico
Ok, my hopper hard disk died so I used chat to get it replaced.

First chat (Paraphrase)
Me: My hopper hard disk died, need a replacement.
CS: Yes well replace it
Me: Can you replace for the new Hopper with Sling? I'll pay for the upgrade.
CS: Lucky you, I can replace your bad hopper for the Hopper with Sling for free.
Me: Sweet, send it. My main address is a PO Box, and UPS wont send to PO Boxes, use this address: <address>
CS: ok all is set
Me: thanks

I check my account and I have now 2 orders in my account:
1. Hopper (shipping to PO Box)
2. Hopper with Sling (shipping to PO Box)
And what is dish expecting to receive?
1. defective Hopper (for order 1)
2. another defective Hopper (for order 2)

Second chat (paraphrase)
Me: <State problem, 2 orders, must be only one, also wrong address>
CS: Well just refuse to receive the regular Hopper all will be well
Me: Cant you just cancel the order?
CS: No we can't
Me: What about the 2 Defective hoppers they expect me to return? I just have one hopper.
CS: Just refuse the delivery, all will be fine
Me: I doubt it, but ok, what about the address, it will never be delivered, can you change it?
CS: No we can't
Me: so you cant delete or change orders? Your system sucks ass
CS: I understand your frustration, anything else I can do for you?
Me: <sigh>No

How is this company still in business? They prefer to ship things to PR and back instead of allowing a 'Cancel order' or 'Change address', how stupid is that?
So 7-10 day delivery if I'm lucky and can change the address by calling UPS, and possibly a non existing defective hopper that I would owe to dish.

PS: You need a new emoticon for posts, one where the smiley wants to shoot himself on the head.

Last edited:
When you refuse the regular Hopper and return the defective one, DISH will then have two returns from you. I don't you should have any problem with two returns. You may have other problems, such as a free upgrade or delivery address, but I wouldn't worry about the two returns.

Out of curiosity, when did you get you Hopper? Mine died last week- HD failure too- and I did the exact same thing. Mine was one of the very first ones. Maybe it's a conspiracy by Dish to get the Hopper with Sling into more hands! :D Just got the Hopper with Sling today. Stupid easy to swap in the new one- just be patient with it. The initial downloads take a bit of time and make sure to use your Hopper remote. The HwS will detect the backup info saved on it and automatically ask you if you want to import it. It even remembered what channels the Hopper and Joeys were on when it crashed!

When you refuse the regular Hopper and return the defective one, DISH will then have two returns from you. I don't you should have any problem with two returns. You may have other problems, such as a free upgrade or delivery address, but I wouldn't worry about the two returns.

I'm worried that somewhere they will have 2 hoppers registered in my account, since now they think im replacing 2 bad leased hoppers. They cant change/cancel orders you understand why I dont trust their systems too much.

Out of curiosity, when did you get you Hopper? Mine died last week- HD failure too- and I did the exact same thing. Mine was one of the very first ones. Maybe it's a conspiracy by Dish to get the Hopper with Sling into more hands! :D Just got the Hopper with Sling today. Stupid easy to swap in the new one- just be patient with it. The initial downloads take a bit of time and make sure to use your Hopper remote. The HwS will detect the backup info saved on it and automatically ask you if you want to import it. It even remembered what channels the Hopper and Joeys were on when it crashed!

Got it on 07/08/2012. Are the timers in the remote as well? Please let the answer be yes...

I actually tried to contact Dirt members but none where logged on at the time. :(

...Got it on 07/08/2012. Are the timers in the remote as well? Please let the answer be yes...

I actually tried to contact Dirt members but none where logged on at the time. :(

Yes the timers are backed up to the remote.

Both hoppers have free return shipping so since you have to return the defective one already, just return both at the same time. You will not be charged for another hopper if you don't activate it.

Rdeejr is right. The way it shows up on the system it will only see you have 2 if it is activated. Otherwise if you just send them back (get the tracking # when doing so) they will come in and remove the 1 on the account the other will just show as refused delivery or not needed either way you won't be charged since there won't be any un returned equip on the actually account.

Rdeejr is right. The way it shows up on the system it will only see you have 2 if it is activated. Otherwise if you just send them back (get the tracking # when doing so) they will come in and remove the 1 on the account the other will just show as refused delivery or not needed either way you won't be charged since there won't be any un returned equip on the actually account.

How long does it takes to show the delivery of the recevers back to Dish in 'My shipments'? They received one on 08/28/2013 and 09/05/2013 but still no update on 'My Shipments' page, both show as 'Not Received'.

PS: The install of the new one worked perfectly, all settings were on the remote (config/timers/etc) and unlike the SlingAdapter that rarely worked (always had to plug/unplug for it to work) the Hopper with Sling works great. Now a Dish Anywhere Roku App please...

I once got an email from Dish stating that they received my receiver, it was over a year after I shipped it to them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)