Esquire Network to Replace Style Network Instead of G4

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...o-replace-style-network-instead-of-g4/201661/

This pisses me off to no end! We could've had Attack Of The Show, X-Play, live E3 coverage, and live Comic-Con coverage this entire year.

I used to be a big fan of this channel. I watched all the E3 coverage, Attack of the Show and occasionally watched X-Play. There really wasn't any channel on TV that covered video games and tech like they did. I haven't turned the channel on a single time since the canceled all those shows and announced that they were changing to esquire.

If G4 isn't going away anymore what will they show? Most of their talent from those shows has moved on now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I used to be a big fan of this channel. I watched all the E3 coverage, Attack of the Show and occasionally watched X-Play. There really wasn't any channel on TV that covered video games and tech like they did. I haven't turned the channel on a single time since the canceled all those shows and announced that they were changing to esquire.

If G4 isn't going away anymore what will they show? Most of their talent from those shows has moved on now.

"Moved on" aka fired from NBCU

"Moved on" aka fired from NBCU

Right. My point is that G4 won't be getting most of them back even if they did want to start their old shows back up. I really think their is a gamer/tech nerd niche G4 could be filling but they got rid of all their talent and most of them have new jobs now.

Right. My point is that G4 won't be getting most of them back even if they did want to start their old shows back up. I really think their is a gamer/tech nerd niche G4 could be filling but they got rid of all their talent and most of them have new jobs now.

Well it's been said that their not looking to start original programming on G4 so it's either going the way of CLOO or they'll rebrand is as NBCSN2 or some crap like that.

Honestly if they brought back X-Play and AOTS whiel moving over Heroes Of Cosplay and maybe Face Off they could give the network a shot in the arm and make it profitable.

I never watched it when it was ZDNet but I did when it was TechTV. Attack of the show was great when it was The Screen Savers and they actually talked about tech stuff. And I watched Call for Help with Leo Laporte.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Well it's been said that their not looking to start original programming on G4 so it's either going the way of CLOO or they'll rebrand is as NBCSN2 or some crap like that.

Honestly if they brought back X-Play and AOTS while moving over Heroes Of Cosplay and maybe Face Off they could give the network a shot in the arm and make it profitable.

WWE wants to want their network and WWE airs programming on NBCUniversal owned networks. so if the cards play out, G4 will end up becoming the WWE Network.

The move means Esquire Network will be available to Style’s 75 million households versus G4’s 62 million. Esquire Network general manager Adam Stotsky will remain head of G4 as well, which will remain as is. The network canceled several of its long-running series like Attack of the Show late last year in anticipation of the rebrand.
“Our goal has always been delivery of compelling content by means of distinct, complementary brands, each in its clearly defined lane,” Hammer said in the memo. “With Bravo, E! and Oxygen, we offer unique takes on popular culture for an ever-broadening audience, including the all-important female demo. In pursuit of that same demo, Style presents brand overlap within our portfolio.”

As a result of the rebrand, current Style series like Giuliana & Bill and Tia & Tamara will remain on Esquire Network or move to one of the NBCU portfolio’s other female-targeted networks likely Bravo or Oxygen. Style president Salaam Coleman Smith will stay on through the transition while the company searches for another internal placement for her. Though NBCU will seek to minimize layoffs by moving Style staffers to other networks within the portfolio, some will certainly be laid off as a result of the rebrand.

http://www.multichannel.com/content/esquire-network-replace-style-instead-g4/145360

The big loss of G4 was the access of the Gaming industry to a wider market than what they normally have and all in one place. All the behind the scenes stuff, conversations with developers of the games, looks at the developer houses and stuff just isn't happening since G4 went away at that scale. Now it ends up spread out between various web properties and becomes much more hit or miss for an individual. G4's E3 coverage was both unique and full coverage that likely will never be paralleled again.

AOTS was pretty funny as well. I won the complete series of 24 on DVD when they read a tweet of mine on the air which was pretty cool.

Last edited:

Honestly if they brought back X-Play and AOTS whiel moving over Heroes Of Cosplay and maybe Face Off they could give the network a shot in the arm and make it profitable.

There has been other stuff on Scifi that should of been on G4 but it not being on directv hurts g4 a lot. Also chiller can be scifi but it's not on most / all? Comcast systems and only a very few small cable systems have chiller HD.

Yes, they nurtured a stable of talent who had gaming "credentials" and seemed sufficiently popular with G4 viewers. I think one of them is now at Revision3, and I don't think he wants to go back to G4. I got the impression he was glad to move on from G4, but seemed willing to stay there so long as the, presumably bigger, paycheck was still being issued. I think the ownership by Comcast seemed to loom over everything at G4. G4 people seem to be less happy, but everybody needs a job, and G4 provided great exposure for the talent. This latest, "oh, wait, on second thought," sort of management is an example of what G4 staffers and talent had to deal with.

It seems Revision3 (now owned by Discovery), TWIT, and even CBS owned CNET offered better environments and corporate daddies to work for. Comcast CEO Brain Roberts is a notoriously tough-cookie, and he makes Charlie look like a pussy cat in dealing with content providers and owners, including Brian Roberts beating up the NFL! Comcast corporate culture is probably just more onerous. There is no reason this latest move could not have been planned from DAY ONE of the initial decision, not as an afterthought. Many of the people who migrated from the old TechTV when Comcast acquired it and merged it with G4 BOLTED from G4 first chance they got.

Last edited:
During the last weeks of AOTS, much of what happened when G4 took over TechTV was made more clear by the principles involved. Those that left, generally didn't leave because they wanted to. They were told their services were no longer needed. There was a lot of bad blood with some individuals. So it wasn't folks bolting, it was folks being essentially fired.
That said, most of the folks ended up better off in the long run and those that wanted to have jobs in the tech reporting industry have them today.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts